Thread: Tire Rotation

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Rotation

I am having the two front tires rotated. I have Ride-On in them. Will this be a problem for the guys doing the rotation?
    Life should NOT be journey to grave with intention of arriving safely in attractive and well-preserved body, but rather you skid in sideways on 1 leg with body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I would think since the tires are directional and the wheels go on only one way then rotating the tires means removing them from the rims and exchanging left to right & right to left.

A lot of trouble for, IMHO,very little benefit.
    Better to spend the money increasing the toe-in a little bit and having the steering sensors recalibrated on BUDS.

Whether the Ride-On will be a problem depends on the dealer. Some will grumble, but many will not. You might lose a little bit, but most should stay in the tires and be able to be reused. The dealer will not be able to balance the tires with the Ride-On in there, though, so the wheel weights will have to be removed and the Ride-On relied upon for balancing. The other option is to remove the Ride-On before remounting. It is not supposed to be reused...although some owners have done so.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would think since the tires are directional and the wheels go on only one way then rotating the tires means removing them from the rims and exchanging left to right & right to left.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Better to spend the money increasing the toe-in a little bit and having the steering sensors recalibrated on BUDS.

Whether the Ride-On will be a problem depends on the dealer. Some will grumble, but many will not. You might lose a little bit, but most should stay in the tires and be able to be reused. The dealer will not be able to balance the tires with the Ride-On in there, though, so the wheel weights will have to be removed and the Ride-On relied upon for balancing. The other option is to remove the Ride-On before remounting. It is not supposed to be reused...although some owners have done so.
    I sort of agree with you. I had my first set of tires rotated and the cost was something like $40. It did buy me serveral thousand more miles. Later on when I bought the second set of tires, I had the front wheels aligned. Unfortunately the dealer had never done an alignment and didn't have all the tools to do it. They had to go to a hardware store to get something; I don't remember what. This was along with the alignment kit they got from BRP. Anyway the alignment that they said would take a couple of hours, ending up taking 5-6 hours.They took the whole front end off along with the fenders. Seemed like they had my spyder strewn all over their shop. Ended up costing me about $300. I told the service manager I could buy new tires once a year cheaper than having the alignment done. I was not to happy being his guinea pig. Now 6 months later I have a front end vibration that I attribute to poor alignment.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLuv View Post
    I am having the two front tires rotated.
    You don't say why you're doing this. I'm intrigued to know.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I agree.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    ...I could buy new tires once a year cheaper than having the alignment done...
    to a point.

If you ever have to buy new tires take a look at the wear pattern of the old ones. If worn evenly then no alignment is warranted. But sometime a minor adjustment is needed to maximize tire wear & thus handling. This is attributed to the normal wear and tear of the vehicle which, thru it being used, can fall out of factory spec.