Thread: Would You ?

arntufun

Question Would You ?

Let's just say I have a friend that owns a Spyder. It's a really hot looking PE edition RS model. What he wants to do is, run his Spyder 1 more month with his inspection expiring at the end of October. The reason he wants to do this is because his back tire is shot and there's no way it would pass inspection with that tire.

Why doesn't he just get a new tire you might ask ? Well he would, but he wants to take the back tire off in the winter and have the rim powder coated black and it would mean redoing the whole procedure twice. His rear fender is off and it is quite obvious that the tire is shot. But there is at least one more month of riding season left. I told him he should not take advise from me because I certainly would just run it, but I'd check with you guys here. So.......... would you ???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire change

This is not pertinant but, now would be a good time to think about moving that mis-placed valve stem to the other side of the rim where it should have been in the first place. Easy to do and "kurveygirl.com" sells metal 85 degree motorcycle valve stems 2 @ $ 10.00 . Makes the whole air thing way easier. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A crappy tire with wet leaves, and slippery as snot-on-a-doorknob roads?? And you had to ask! Wreck the Spyder trying to save time and find out how expensive that crap is... (I just got MY estimate from the dealer... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Bob........ No need to worry with that babysitter thing (Nanny) we all have holding us back. She wouldn't skip a beat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had a MINI with a Dyanmic Stability Control System... It STILL ended up in a ditch upside-down! Don't EVER believe for a moment that people aren't dumb enough to figure out how to get themselves in trouble...
    If it lets go on a slippery road and Nanny can't catch it, do YOU want to be the guy trying to pry his squished carcass out from under the bike???
    I've got 33 years of filling out accident reports here... CRAP HAPPENS!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

After you get your rear wheel powder coated , What brand of tire will you be using??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default When I was 25 ...

... I would have risked it. But NO WAY TODAY!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    After you get your rear wheel powder coated , What brand of tire will you be using??

He does not know what tire he is going to run. He wants the car tire, but his other half is insisting on staying with what is recommended for the Spyder. If he does not listen to her, he might not get other things in the future.

Spyder Garage

Careful..............

Spyder Garage

OH OH
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

You better do as Holly say's
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default tire

is HE able to get wheel powdercoated quickly? if so HE should break it down right now, tonight 9:46, to have the wheel{and sprocket} to the powdercoater by 7:00 am. thereby getting said wheel [and sprocket] to the tire store on sunday morning, then back home for re-assembly. total downtime 36 hours.come on you, er,,,HE can do it!
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    He does not know what tire he is going to run. He wants the car tire, but his other half is insisting on staying with what is recommended for the Spyder. If he does not listen to her, he might not get other things in the future.
    As Erags' other half, this message is for his other half...go with the car tire. We would have done that for the rear tire, too, but we had to replace it on our 7000 mile trip & took what the dealer had. We have since replaced the front tires with car tires and will do the same with the rear one when it needs replaced again. Also put Ride-on in the tires & there is so much less front end vibration we're thinking our LED's won't have folks thinking we're flashing blue lights at them anymore when we are behind them. We had our 3 spoke rims powder coated black then had the new tires mounted on them instead of our 6 spoke rims (Erags' other half wants GloRyders next & the 3 spoke ones look neater with them in his other half's opinion). Didn't want to go through the expense of taking the back tire off just to powder coat the rim, so we're waiting for the new tire to need replaced. Don't mess with your​ other half's life by riding around on a bald tire, Arntufun!
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Whatever you decide, be ready to go next weekend, if the weather holds.

My rear tire should be replaced this Tuesday with another stock tire.

Spyder Garage

Default Ordered valve stems

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not pertinant but, now would be a good time to think about moving that mis-placed valve stem to the other side of the rim where it should have been in the first place. Easy to do and "kurveygirl.com" sells metal 85 degree motorcycle valve stems 2 @ $ 10.00 . Makes the whole air thing way easier. Mike
    Thanks for the tip, Mike. I ordered the valve stems from kurveygirl.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com