Spyder Garage

Default ABS saved my butt

Came way closer to t boning a car today or t boning me than I ever want to do again. Fortunately I was only doing about 35 when a gal with a cellphone glued to her ear pulled out of a parking lot going across my lane of traffic. I saw her coming out and stood on the brakes and the horn .Spyder brakes chirped a little bit but stopped with no swerving , I was about 3 feet away from drivers door as she sailed by . Came real close to kissing my windshield but didn't. She didn't even look like she saw me even though I don't know how she could have missed the big red , horn blowing spyder coming right at her. Almost turned around to catch her and give her a not too friendly father daughter talking to but decided to just let well enough alone and headed on home. If I hadn't been paying attention or been going a little faster it could have been real nasty for me. Was a great feeling having the brakes do exactly what they were supposed to do.

Spyder Garage

Wow!!! Proud of the ABS. Proud of YOU paying attention!!

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default ABS

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Came way closer to t boning a car today or t boning me than I ever want to do again. Fortunately I was only doing about 35 when a gal with a cellphone glued to her ear pulled out of a parking lot going across my lane of traffic. I saw her coming out and stood on the brakes and the horn .Spyder brakes chirped a little bit but stopped with no swerving , I was about 3 feet away from drivers door as she sailed by . Came real close to kissing my windshield but didn't. She didn't even look like she saw me even though I don't know how she could have missed the big red , horn blowing spyder coming right at her. Almost turned around to catch her and give her a not too friendly father daughter talking to but decided to just let well enough alone and headed on home. If I hadn't been paying attention or been going a little faster it could have been real nasty for me. Was a great feeling having the brakes do exactly what they were supposed to do.
    Exact same thing here in GA, red bike, dopey person on cell and she pulled out right in front and then just about stopped because someone was in the turn lane to her left, where she was headed. It was day 3 of Spydering and I just jammed on the brakes and they did a wonderful job. No swerving, just an immediate stop from about 35 or 40. Luckily no one was close behind me. A friend of mine, retired county sherriff bike patrol person, had never had an accident. Retires and two accidents in 2010 - each on brand new HD. Lots of broken bones and totaled two bikes. He's an outstanding rider, but when some idiot is really trying, they can get ya. I was hit on a HD while sitting at a stop light. Guy in a pickup drops his cell, starts looking for it and is not stopping any more. Hit me about 15 mph, he admitted being stupid, but he got a ticket and I got my bike rebuilt. Luckily, no injury, but a heck of a ride across the intersection. No ABS of course, lots of skid marks. Ride safely folks.

Spyder Garage

Default Quick stop

I was coming home from a day ride heading south on M-66 in Michigan. I was doing about 57 MPH when I saw a car looking to turn across the road. I took the cruise off and was slowing a bit. I watched his front tire and saw it starting to spin. I stomped on the brake. My wife's head hit mine (both wearing helemts with face shields) so no damage. The old man stopped and looked at me as I passed him. I almost wanted to flip him off, but I didn't. While stepping on the brake the spyder went straight. Felt great to have some control.

Spyder Garage

I think most of us have had that kind of experience that leaves a crease in the seat. I like to say that the will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

It is good to know that the contains some great safety systems.

I had to quick stop one time--and it was very reassuring when the ABS kicked in and kept the bike on a straight path.

Nanny also saved me twice when involved in hydroplaning incidents.

Safety systems like these, combined with alert driving habits--are great insurance.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NO doubt; the ABS technology is great... The even better part of the equation is paying attention to what's going on! I'm glad to see that everybody in here is keeping their mind on what matters!
    (I had one pull out on me yesterday... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty scary out there....50% or more of the people driving are either on the phone or texting......Glad you are OK....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I rode the Spyder to a customer site three time last week. On I-485 I could count the drivers texting and can find at least 5 of them in the 20 mile run to the customer.

Texting and phones are a big problem. So is putting on makeup, eating while driving, and reading the paper while driving.

I've had people make mistakes in front of me and behind me. Sometimes, these are probably the same honest mistakes WE ALL can make or HAVE made. - So I don't get too pissed at them.

The texters though... They need to get their butts kicked.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My last bike had ABS and without a doubt saved my bacon a couple of times from folks that apparently cannot see anything that has less than four wheels on it when they pull out onto a highway. I like ABS and the Spyder has a very good system, as I have had to make a couple of fast stops with the wife bouncing her helmet off the back of mine.

Motorcycle Safety Courses are worth their weight in gold IMNSHO and I had ridden bikes for many years before attending. I demanded the wife attend one before riding the Spyder (fortunately, the Navy feels the same as I do and they paid for her class.)

Folks with cell phones stuck to their ears often forget where they are and the ones texting ought to be taken off of the highways and their phones stomped into the pavement as a minimum IMO. I witnessed a gal in a car on a cell phone rear end a friend of mine on his new bike a couple of years ago and she didn't seem to think she did anything wrong.

Spyder Garage

Default Another advantage

I agree the brakes on the Spyder are good and I have had to lean on them kinda hard a couple times but nothing real close. But the three wheels are also an advantage. Two weeks ago I had to pull onto the gravel shoulder to avoid a head on. Going off and on the pavement is a lot easier on three wheels then two.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes I think cell phone users are worse than drunk drivers. At least the dd will admit they did wrong, most of the time. Cellers think it's normal.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

The ABS has been causing an issue with me because I'm so used to hitting the break without concern for lock-up. I've been riding a 250cc dual sport for the last month and have left rear tire skid marks a few times.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Default Love those anti-lock brakes

Glad you made it out OK. Love the ABS. Wonderful technology.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ABS

So far I've avoided 5 deer and 1 bear and the bear was on a gravel road !!!!!!!