Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control Jars Off

Several times now I've had the cruise control to come unset when a bump is hit. Foot was not anywhere near the brake pedal, nor was my finger anywhere near the control button.

Have any of you had the same to happen? Not really a big deal, but it does happen now and then.

Spyder Garage

I have had this happen twice so far. The last time was on I44 where they were resurfacing and when I transitioned from the new to the old I dropped down about 4" and it kicked off the cruise control. Like you said it's no big deal but it will get your attention when it happens. Not sure if this is a function of the nanny or if part of the cruise control is mechanical and jarring the system will kick it off similar to touching the brake.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could that bump have been enough to make the brake pedal drop to where it might have disengaged the cruise control?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've also experienced this and attributed it to our favorite "nanny".
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default me too..

This happens to me every time the road is bumpy (a lot around here in Norcal!)...My goot is miles away from the brake and I checked the pedal for freeplay .... Dealer has no clue either!
    Philippe

Spyder Garage

It happens periodically...especially on Michigan's rough roads. It can also fail to set, especially in a rough curve. My Ford F-150 does the same thing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This happens to my 2011 LTD also. Somewhere here on SL I read that there is a service bulletin for an updated brake pedal return spring.
    Don't know if it will help but it couldn't hurt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    This happens to my 2011 LTD also. Somewhere here on SL I read that there is a service bulletin for an updated brake pedal return spring.
    Don't know if it will help but it couldn't hurt.
    The replacement brake return spring TSB is for the parking brake.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

my cruise was doing the same thing dealer phoned brp and they adjusted the brake lite switch has been ok since adjustment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

if you have the cruise control set, and you hit a bump in the road, and you have any wheel break contact with the ground; the nanny kicks off the cruise. at least that's what I was informed by a Spyder wrench.

anyone care to validate or refute that...?

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it is a wheel losing contact but the CC will shut-off if you go over a bumpy road or bad RR Tracks.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would suppose that considering the speed of the sensors scans and data processing speed that if Nanny detected an "instantaneous" increase in the speed of the rear wheel as it would be if the wheel went over a bump or fall, then cruise control would shut off.....?

Spyder Garage

if the cruise shut off it would have to be reset ,but you will find that if resume is pressed that your spyder will return to set speed after hitting a bump

Spyder Garage

There are many things that can disengage the cruise control. The most common is the use of the brake, in normal operation. If the brake pedal jiggles too much on rough ground, or the switch is adjusted to be too sensitive, the cruise can disengage accidentally. Other items that will disengage it are use of the clutch (or failure of the clutch switch), the TCS kicking in, or other VSS features kicking in. Entering limp mode should also disengage the cruise. Having the rpm drop below the programmed minimum (3,800 rpm?) will do it too. Most of this is very normal. The cruise control is designed to be use only under steady-state, good riding conditions...typically going down the highway.

Needing the cruise control to be reset with the handlebar switch after it kicks out, is another thing altogether. This indicates a relay or electronics issue, or a bad handlebar switch (or wiring). This is not a normal thing.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!