Spyder Garage

Default Looking for advice on a full face helmet intercom sysytem

I am looking to get a intercom system for the wife and I. We both have full face helmets by BRP. I am leaning toward a Scala Rider system. My dealer says they popular and easy to use (what else is he going to say?). So by all means tell me what you think.
    Thanks in advance.
    2015 RT-S pearl red/black Special Series with triaxis handlebars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AFSpyder View Post
    I am looking to get a intercom system for the wife and I. We both have full face helmets by BRP. I am leaning toward a Scala Rider system. My dealer says they popular and easy to use (what else is he going to say?). So by all means tell me what you think.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sena, Had a scala 1st major rain storm i went through it crapped out. Check the for sale section here, BJT has a set of senas for a great price
    Last edited by SpyderSteve; 10-06-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Scala are real good for strictly intercom, but if you ever need to talk bike to bike with any other Spyder ryders you can't...Only drawback I know of....The Scala is a good quality unit...CB/Intercom is the best for ALL AROUND comms
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Scala is a bluetooth system and will talk to any other scala. The bike to bike range depends on the model scala. I have the G4 and I have talked to other model scalas up to a half mile. The range is listed as one mile but I don't think its that. The Sena is also a very good system from what I hear.
    The big problem right now with bluetooth systems as I see it, is you can only talk to another user who has the same brand system. ie, a Sena will not talk to a Scala or any other non Sena.
    From what I've read here on SL, the range of the CB is not the be, all end all, either.
    BTW. I rode 7 hours in the rain coming back from Maggie Valley and I never had any problem with the G4. In fact, I've ridden in the rain many times with no problems with the G4.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    The Scala is a bluetooth system and will talk to any other scala. The bike to bike range depends on the model scala. I have the G4 and I have talked to other model scalas up to a half mile. The range is listed as one mile but I don't think its that. The Sena is also a very good system from what I hear.
    The big problem right now with bluetooth systems as I see it, is you can only talk to another user who has the same brand system. ie, a Sena will not talk to a Scala or any other non Sena.
    From what I've read here on SL, the range of the CB is not the be, all end all, either.
    BTW. I rode 7 hours in the rain coming back from Maggie Valley and I never had any problem with the G4. In fact, I've ridden in the rain many times with no problems with the G4.
    BTW I know another member from Ontario that came back from Maggie Valley [ in the rain ] and his crapped out to [ maybe a cdn thing]

Spyder Garage

Default head sets

we have the blue ant? head sets . . . mostly ok but we are looking at the Sena's . . . our local Bmw/Ducati/Triumph dealer swears by them. The set we have works ok; the voice activated mouth piece is always turning on and picking up the wind, etc. They are good for a long distance. The wires are fragile; my head set plug in has to be set just right or I only have sound in one ear. They can pair to other blue tooth devices (I am told) . . . made in China, can't get a rep on the phone . . . won't buy them again.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I've hear lots of good things about the Scala. We bought the Sena units and have been very happy with the performance.

BTW - I have that same emblem on my jacket ... from service from 68-72 at Offutt.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

We have the scala and have not had any issues. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Option

I recently received my V2 High Tech units from www.motorcyclecommunications.com Clay is the main guy there. They are having them made for them, like a house brand. Looks like the scala but the battery IS changeable by them - does not have to go back to China (might as well replace it vs wait and costs).

I can't seem to post the link be sure to go to wireless headsets

Two units for $300 and a 30 day return policy. Driver to passenger is great, clear, no wind noise with full face helmets.Have not taken the time to determine how two work the blue tooth for the phone.

Would have liked to go the BRP route but the costs kept me from it. I ran the numbers back and forth and could not not beat this intercom ($300) plus a small Midland cb w PTT with helmet speakers ($130) and a RAM ($50) cup holder to hold the cb (when I ride with a certian group). This system is not perfect but for half of the cost of just the cb and entertainment harness (no labor costs --well we have to do what we can with what we have.
    Check out the units from motorcycle communications and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by GASpyderLady; 10-06-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Blue 2011 RT-S: My Economic Contributions: Rt Hand Brake, RAM handle bar cup holder, Kewl Metal Gadget mount for phone/GPS, Midland CB, High Tech V2 Wireless intercom, GloRiders-Blue, BRP hitch, Bike-rack for travel duffel, Grip Puppies, Arrow mirror turn signals, RT HMT Rear light, Utopia Driver's seat back, Lamont's NBV Highway pegs, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Baker Air Wings
    Life is a matter of Prospective We create our own Prospective.

Spyder Garage

I have used the Scala 2's for several years. They are good bike to bike for about 3 1/2 blocks.

Ordered Scala 4's when they first came out--could not get them to work. Returned them and went back to Scala 2.

I tried a couple other brands in search of something better--and returned them.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the Q2pro, and like em...only use the intercome to chat w the wife when shes on the back of the bike, so cant say how far there range is.

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Try Uclear works great No boom to get in the way.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden in the rain too many times... and my Scala never failed.

I now have a Sena... The Sena has far better speakers on the standard mount - they are louder than the Scala... ANd the Sena has better mounting options for sale.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Wacky Dan. I have Senas and love them. I listen to music,intercom, GPS and sometimes phone without any issues. easy to use.

Spyder Garage

I had the scala 2 and now have the G4. Works very good. I have been able to get almost a mile line of sight with them. I take it off if in complete down poor just because it is electronics and can get ruined by rain just like my gps...which that I put a plastic sandwich bag around when in the rain.

I like the scala for communicating with my daughter when she rides with me but also with several buddies also. The G4 speakers are much louder than the scala 2.

Here is a good place to buy them: http://www.revzilla.com/product/cardo-scala-rider-g4
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GASpyderLady View Post
    I recently received my V2 High Tech units from www.motorcyclecommunications.com Clay is the main guy there. They are having them made for them, like a house brand. Looks like the scala but the battery IS changeable by them - does not have to go back to China (might as well replace it vs wait and costs).

I can't seem to post the link be sure to go to wireless headsets

Two units for $300 and a 30 day return policy. Driver to passenger is great, clear, no wind noise with full face helmets.Have not taken the time to determine how two work the blue tooth for the phone.

Would have liked to go the BRP route but the costs kept me from it. I ran the numbers back and forth and could not not beat this intercom ($300) plus a small Midland cb w PTT with helmet speakers ($130) and a RAM ($50) cup holder to hold the cb (when I ride with a certian group). This system is not perfect but for half of the cost of just the cb and entertainment harness (no labor costs --well we have to do what we can with what we have.
    Check out the units from motorcycle communications and let me know what you think.
    I tried to use a midland cb with helmet speakers along with my G4. It didn't work out at all. How do you do it? How do you fit 2 sets of speakers in your helmet and be able to hear both sets Where do you mount the mic for the midland? Is it wired so you have speaker wires and a mic wire going to your helmet?
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    Scala are real good for strictly intercom, but if you ever need to talk bike to bike with any other Spyder ryders you can't...Only drawback I know of....The Scala is a good quality unit...CB/Intercom is the best for ALL AROUND comms
    My wife and I have been using Scalas for over a year and we never ride two up. Our devices are only used bike to bike and they work fine. We have a range of 1.6 kilometers depending on terrain. We have ridden in the heaviest rains, the coldest and the warmest days without any failure.

We love the instant bike to bike communication, the 8 hour battery life, wireless operation, bluetooth for the I phone connection and ease of operation.

You can't go wrong with the Scala headsets.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have had the Cardo Scala Q2 for almost 2 years. Never used them for anything other than rider to passenger intercom and they worked excellently for that. About a month ago, they failed, first one unit, then the other within a week. I don't think rain had anything to do with the failure since we've been really dry but we did ride in the rain several times just after we got them with no ill effects. After charging, you need to be sure that the charging port is properly covered and it's easy to to get the cover in a little wrong. When they failed, we had about 2 months left on the warranty so I emailed Cardo and they responded with directions to return them for repair or replacement. Returned them and a little over a week later received a new set. The new set is a slightly newer version than the originals but is still a Q2, not Q2-Pro or G4. The new set works just fine. So, I guess the fact that they failed is a mark against Scala but the fact that they replaced them with new units under warranty is a mark in their favor.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

None, I tossed my last full face helmet when I bought my RT. Don't want to talk to a soul when I ride….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    My wife and I have been using Scalas for over a year and we never ride two up. Our devices are only used bike to bike and they work fine. We have a range of 1.6 kilometers depending on terrain. We have ridden in the heaviest rains, the coldest and the warmest days without any failure.

We love the instant bike to bike communication, the 8 hour battery life, wireless operation, bluetooth for the I phone connection and ease of operation.

You can't go wrong with the Scala headsets.
    What I was trying to convey is you can not talk to someone else unless you pair your unit with their unit...and I do not know how many pairings you can have with a scala unit...With a CB as long as you're on the same channel the number of people is unlimited....Can't do that with a bluetooth unit....

Plus you don't have to charge the radio or worry about a dead battery either...
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hubby and I have Scalas for bike to bike and love them-except for the fact that once we got up to 45 mph we couldn't hear and the fact that the static got so bad that we had to turn them off periodically. Last week we sent them back to Cardo and hope that they can be fixed 'cause when they work, they are fantastic. Much better than Chatterbox or cb because of the privacy-only can be heard by the paired unit(s).

Cheryl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have the Sena SMH-10's and they're terrific. The volume is better than any other set we've owned and they easily pair with up to 3 other Sena's. They also have an adapter you can get to use earbuds which is the way I have mine set up. It eliminates almost all the wind noise. I think Deb was selling a pair at a great price...don't know if she still has them.