Spyder Garage

Default Looking for input for Crutch holder for RTS

Looking for input on how to mount a carrier for full size under arm crutches. Would like to be able to do this without modifying the body panels. Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CZPK View Post
    Looking for input on how to mount a carrier for full size under arm crutches. Would like to be able to do this without modifying the body panels. Any help would be appreciated.
    First off you can't put some old crutch on a new Spyder. You need something better. http://www.mobilegs.com these look cooler and are adjustable. Second, well I don't have a second but I refer the reader to the first point.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CZPK View Post
    I'll be watching for an answer here too! Hoping to have my RT soon. I strapped my Crutches on my RS to the passenger Grips. I am thinking a Rifle Case might be the answer for the RT, but I will have to try out a few things when I get it (soon, I hope)

Spyder Garage

Default kent the gimp

I just put mine in the front trunk and tie the top down. Only works well in the daytime

after dark it blocks some of the headlights.
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the "rifle case" idea... Tons of those are available with a wide variety of mounts (basically for rear ATV racks...), so there's got to be something out there that would work.
    Besides, you'd also be ready for Big-Game season too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

It would seem to me that if you aren't riding two up, then attaching to the passenger across the back seat would be best. If you do rYde two up, then perhaps inspector gadgets top rack for the Rrunk could be used?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that too, but perhaps the width of them could be an issue... You wouldn't want to hook a leg on one of them!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I thought that too, but perhaps the width of them could be an issue... You wouldn't want to hook a leg on one of them!
    Hmmm. Well that is true. I mount my golf bag horizontally but that is a different setup.

I'll have to pull out my old crutches and look at that tonight. I have an idea, but I need some visual reinforcement!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps I should explain that I spend so much time on crutches that when I'm "Bi-pedal"; folks don't recongize me in my own Town!
    And I'm also enough of a Klutz that if it can be tripped on or fallen over; I've done it... repeatedly!

Spyder Garage

Default Kolpin rhino grip

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps I should explain that I spend so much time on crutches that when I'm "Bi-pedal"; folks don't recongize me in my own Town!
    And I'm also enough of a Klutz that if it can be tripped on or fallen over; I've done it... repeatedly!
    Hi,

I have installed two kolpin rhino grips on the rear carrier, which hold my crutches firmly. Excellent and I do not have any problem, movement or rattling while driving.

Got little innovative and Bingo, problem solved.

Best to all.
    Last edited by BriteSpydie; 12-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Crutch carrying

I added a top rear rack to my RTL, purchased forearm crutches that can be adjusted. Shorten them to the shortest length, bungee them to the rack, leaves room for using the rack as it isn’t designed and always have my ‘legs’ with me. Weather doesn’t effect them either! Piece of cake!

Spyder Garage

These will hold the top, Koplin Gear Grips, you can get them from Amazon. They are made to hold lawn care tool on the trailer.

On the bottom I just made a holder from some stainless steel tubing to slip the tips in. Had them on my Harley trike, but they will be going on the Spyder. I don't have a left leg, so the left foot peg mount is open for a place to bolt the crutch holders on.

Best crutches I ever used were the Keen Navigators. They are compact, very strong, and only a single tube. The VA can get them for you or you can buy them from the Internet. Not terribly expensive and worth the price. They also have a shock absorber in the tip to take a lot of the solid shock out of each step.

Left leg amputated at the knee. Can no longer wear a prosthesis. Been walking with crutches for over 20 years.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I use these - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Fol...MaAo8OEALw_wcB.

When folded the fit nicely in the frunk, or are easily strapped to the trunk rack. The Kolpin grips also work well.
    !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdakers View Post
    I use these - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Fol...MaAo8OEALw_wcB.

When folded the fit nicely in the frunk, or are easily strapped to the trunk rack. The Kolpin grips also work well.

Thank you much for that information. I just ordered a set of them. Wasn't aware they even made folding full length crutches. I may or may not use them on the Spyder, but they will be really great for air travel, public events, and such things where full length crutches are always in the way when you are sitting down and there is never a place to put them so that other people don't trip over them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably not any use to you, but I have a folding cane that fits in the frunk. Those Kolpin grips look great; I might switch!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Probably not any use to you, but I have a folding cane that fits in the frunk. Those Kolpin grips look great; I might switch!
    ~Sandee~

Nope, not any use to me. My left leg is amputated at the knee. I need 2 full length crutches to walk.

Thanks anyway............ maybe someone else can use a cane.

Spyder Garage

If you can use forearm crutches, Walk Easy makes folding ones that are very good. They fit in the frunk nicely tucked away until I stop.
    I bought them on Amazon or eBay, not sure which. A bit pricey but well made.

Spyder Garage

I hope this will be of help. I have my cane mounted to handles and flag and bottom things held by #9 wire you can purchase at Home Depot in different lengths and thickness of wire. They will not only hold the weight they will holg your apperatuss away from body panels. It worked for me and my friends. Check it out it grips rubber like no other. Hope this helps . safe travels. KC SPYDER RYDERS.

Spyder Garage

Leg rest pad with the rags taped on it is just temporary. Waiting for the jell pads to put on it and then I will cover it with leather. Still need to clean the brackets up and maybe paint them. Made everything metal from stainless steel, so nothing is gonna rust anyway. It works well. Crutches are held securely and don't move around when hitting bumps. Real fast and easy to put them in the holders or take them out. The lower tubes the crutch tips slip in are bolted to the left foot peg mount. I have no left foot, so it is not needed as a foot rest. Top is just a Koplin Clamp supported from behind the passenger handgrip. It just slips over the studs the handgrip is bolted to. Couple of washers and a piece of leather keep it from rattling or moving.

Spyder Garage

This is a great idea and nice pic to show us oldies what is going on. I too would do something like this if I didn’t wear a prosthesis on my left leg...like the padded ‘knee” rest too!