Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default A Little Apprehensive

I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 RT-S Premier Edition at a good price. But the posts on this and other forums about the problems with the Spyder RT have me very conscerned. The biggest one is about Limp Mode. There doesn't seem to be any one issue that causes this. I would hate to be on Deals Gap or some other narrow roadway and not be able to pull far enough off the road out of traffic. Or be in some remote area and have to limp 50 miles. One thread mentioned going into Limp Mode from a burned out brakelight. This makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems like just about everyone that owns an RT has gone into Limp Mode for one reason or another. Are there any owners out there that have not gone into Limp Mode? If so, what is your secret?

Spyderdreams

Spyder Garage

No secret...turn the key and enjoy.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Out of our three Spyders, only one ever went into limp mode...and that was in the garage after an oil change. It is not nearly as widespread as you may think. The Internet has a way of magnifying these things. On another note, automobiles do it, too, although most are more forgiving about what triggers it. Others will not go directly into limp mode, but will not return to normal operation once you have slowed or shifted down. Would I like to see it be done differently?...Yes! Does it make me worry, or refuse to ride my Spyder?...Heck no!

Yes, loss of both brakelights on an RS will trigger it, which is pretty silly to me when a warning would suffice. In other cases it is done to save your hide, such as when the steering or brakes fail, or to try to save the Spyder engine, like with an oil pressure failure or transmission failure. If it makes you too nervous, you may have to pass on owning a Spyder. They are what they are.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

with scotty. I say go for it if it's a good deal.
    We have 2 RSS=4000 miles & LTD=5000 miles never seen limp mode.
    Keep your foot off the brake while you ride and you probably will not see limp mode either.

Spyder Garage

Gee, that makes me feel a whole lot better!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode.

I am a brand new owner and have not been in limp mode, but the I bought had not seen limp mode, according to it's owner," Medicbob". Have been following this site since April and the bad stuf really didn't scare me. Glad to be on a .

Spyder Garage

Lawsuit waiting to happen, lawyers will us this forum to prove their case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I;ve got 25,000 limp free miles on my 2010 RTS
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marvin24 View Post
    Lawsuit waiting to happen, lawyers will us this forum to prove their case.
    Excuse me, Marvin? You have 19 posts to your name since July. 15 (at least) are negative. You don't own a Spyder, so your comments aren't from experience.

May I ask why do you still come here?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdreams View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 RT-S Premier Edition at a good price. But the posts on this and other forums about the problems with the Spyder RT have me very conscerned. The biggest one is about Limp Mode. There doesn't seem to be any one issue that causes this. I would hate to be on Deals Gap or some other narrow roadway and not be able to pull far enough off the road out of traffic. Or be in some remote area and have to limp 50 miles. One thread mentioned going into Limp Mode from a burned out brakelight. This makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems like just about everyone that owns an RT has gone into Limp Mode for one reason or another. Are there any owners out there that have not gone into Limp Mode? If so, what is your secret?

Spyderdreams

Have the 2010 RT-S Premier Edition #288 and have never seen limp mode in over a year of riding. Rode it from central Virginia down to Maggie Valley via the long way on back roads then Deals Gap twice. After this I rode 180 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back to central VA. Never once saw limp mode or any sort of problems. This RT has been nothing but perfect and such a pleasure to ride.
    Last edited by Yfactor; 10-03-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that. Makes me feel a little better.

Spyder Garage

Default No Limp

Yes, the 2010 RTs were supposed to have their share of teething problems, but what was pointed out, the internet has a way of magnifying these things. From watching this forum, BRP seems to have gone above and beyond to rectify the problems and refine the Roadster experience. As for me? Now 13,650 miles thereabouts since March 1 and have never seen limp mode. Don't let a few sourpusses scare you off. Look at the stats on this board, are all of us gluttons for punishment? Strike your best deal and ride until your butt can take no more.

PatrickDragon3.jpgWHEEEEEE!
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

with Scotty

I have had 3 .s Over 60,000 miles. Limp Mode 1 time. My fault--I was riding the
    brake pedal.

with Daveinva: You don't have a lot of credibility currently--marvin24
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've gone 18,000 miles on an early production RT-S without the limp mode.
    Limp mode is WAY overstated on these postings.
    I LOVE my Spyder. I've been to the Dragon twice so far with no issues at all.
    While everything that has been said is true about the internet, I suspect you may not be satisfied with these comments.
    It's possible that your pre-disposition may not be overcome and perhaps you should pass on a Spyder and get a bike you feel more comfortable with.
    Hopefully, you'll prove me wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

10k on a RS/GS, a little over 12K on a RT. Limp mode four times, all the same reason, make sure your foot is not touching the brake pedal unless you are going to use it. Key of/on clears it.
    Last two Ohio 555 and WV 16, try them in the rain part time.
    I am not a expert on convential trikes (about 20 hours), but I believe the Spyder is the best thing going if you want/need three wheels for any reason. Many miles/hours on two wheels.
    Go got it.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Excuse me, Marvin? You have 19 posts to your name since July. 15 (at least) are negative. You don't own a Spyder, so your comments aren't from experience.

May I ask why do you still come here?
    A troll by any other name is still a troll!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A troll by any other name is still a troll!
    Heh. I never want to throw the word around without first giving the poster the opportunity to tell us more.

After all, some people don't like the Spyder. Heck, some people even HATE it. Like anyone who has ever owned a motor vehicle, there are people who have had nightmare experiences with their vehicles-- dealer trouble, mechanical trouble, riding trouble, even fires. No one here denies this. What would be the point? If there *are* problems, we all want them successfully identified and quickly addressed, because the overwhelming majority of Spyder owners are THRILLED with their wonderful vehicles and would very much like to continue to be thrilled.

Sometimes, even the trolls have a point. It'd just be nice for the rest of us if they finally bothered to reach it!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leave the gas cap loose on your car and see how the dashboard lights up... Scotty's right; the computers can get in the way of a good time, but the Spyders aren't any more vulnerable to it than anything else that's got a 'puter hooked up in the system...
    I hope that you're not getting the dreaded "Limp mode" mixed up with some of "Nanny's" shenanigans... That's simply a case of riders pushing the bike's capabilities until "Nanny" pushes back a bit... While lamentable; it can be understood.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of your comments. I have pretty much decided to step out on faith and make the purchase. But I have to say that it's hard to believe that even a new product would have so many problems. Too many owners have had too many different issues. BRP is not a company that just started yesterday. This bike has been in developement for 10 yrs. and tested before production. I have trouble beliveing that none of these issues didn't show up before production and that BRP was not prepared to handle them in a timely manner. As others have said, they are paying to much for the RT to have it sit up in a shop for weeks at a time. I wish everyone a great, trouble free riding experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don''t forget that the internet is a great place for folks who like to complain... The ones who are out there piling up the miles and smiles are too busy having fun!
    And here's to you being too busy having fun also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Are there any owners out there that have not gone into Limp Mode? If so, what is your secret?

Spyderdreams
    I haven't gone into limp mode and I haven't got a secret.
    Folks who do have a problem with their Spyders generally post news of their troubles here, so you get a distorted and gloomy picture. So, I would advise that this is NOT the place to gauge the reliability of Spyders, they are far better than you might think from reading the posts on this Forum.
    On the other side of the coin, if you go ahead and buy a Spyder you will have this Forum of enthusiasts to refer to. That is the good news.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 10-05-2011 at 08:06 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

i know im still a new rider with only 1300 miles under my belt but i cant tell u guys how satisfied i am. I love my spyder and everything it offers, and would not change for anything :P i can understand why u would be concerned after reading this forum alot and hearing some of the issues but the majority of people seem to be so happy with it, and the ones who are having problems are getting it addressed and fixed for the most part. Dont be scurred, go get it and enjoy life
    Last edited by Bigmeech; 10-05-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdreams View Post
    Thanks for all of your comments. I have pretty much decided to step out on faith and make the purchase. But I have to say that it's hard to believe that even a new product would have so many problems. Too many owners have had too many different issues. BRP is not a company that just started yesterday. This bike has been in developement for 10 yrs. and tested before production. I have trouble beliveing that none of these issues didn't show up before production and that BRP was not prepared to handle them in a timely manner. As others have said, they are paying to much for the RT to have it sit up in a shop for weeks at a time. I wish everyone a great, trouble free riding experience.
    I hope you get it, you'll love it

That said, about your comments... a sense of proportion will help you feel better about your decision.

There's a saying, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." An equally true statement is, "No product survives contact with the customer." BRP could have done *20* years of testing and some of these things would pop up. It's the nature of a complex machine. Have you ever seen the recalls that affect even the most popular automobiles manufactured today?

Things break. Some things are designed to tolerances that are unfortunately routinely exceeded by standard operation (not to mention hoonage ). We have a motorcycle-like vehicle exposed to the elements that has *three* distinct tracks hitting every pothole in the road at times. Things rattle, things come loose (I tore a wire this way on an aftermarket LED upgrade... I was peeved, but stuff happens!).

In my observation, the most serious problem that's affected the Spyder since its release was the Dynamic Power Steering problems-- problems that were identified and solved. Should these have been identified before release? Yes. Were they solved before I bought *my* ride? Yup, just fine. Were the problems excusable? Given that the DPS and VSS are the most complex and original items on the Spyder, who can be surprised that those were the most problematic issues at release?

No major manufacturer anywhere solves these things on a dime. We all envision a mythical company somewhere that hears of a single problem mentioned by a random poster on a forum and our mythical company solves it by the next week.

The fact is, these things take time to research and understand where the fault lies-- user error (the most common), bad luck (second-most common), dealer problems (likely third), assembly, manufacture, and ultimately, design. The first problem can be solved on this forum; the last problem can take *years* (and lots of $$$ by the the manufacturer) to solve, if ever (it may not be cost-effective to solve it-- which is where you hope aftermarket solutions appear, the "mother of necessity" and all that).

I too share the apprehension over things like a limp mode that seems a little *too* eager to kick in (never yet for me, though ). If there's trouble with the engine, or the DPS/VSS (you know, those things keeping you from flipping over on the road), then yeah, limp mode should kick in. Trouble with brakelights, or stepping on a brake pedal a little too often? That's probably taking it too far. Oh well, nature of the beast.

But the bottom line here is, and others back me up: the single most important contributor to owner satisfication with their Spyder is a competent and responsive dealer service center. They're the "tip of the spear," and everyone here will agree that dealers vary GREATLY in quality of service. Technician experience, skill, availability (some of these guys are positively swamped), and the support of their parent dealership all come into play. It's a new machine, serviced by technicians new to something this high-tech, often sold by dealers new to something this high-tech, owned by customers often new to something this high-tech. That's a recipe for friction and misunderstandings.

These aren't excuses for poor service and poor BRP responses. They're facts of life that must be accepted by Spyder owners, and probably for some time to come. I'll be honest, I don't expect the Spyder to be as reliable as we all want it until at least the third generation of bikes are released. That's a shame, especially at this price point, but again, it's reality, whether you're a company as good as BRP or as great as Honda or as insanely awful as some Chinese knock-off. Personally, I think the Hyundai comparisons are apt-- it took them 20 years to put out cars as good, reliable and desirable as the Sonata and Genesis. I think BRP will be able to do it faster than that-- they've succeeded pretty dang well right out of the gate-- but let's not kid ourselves, it'll take years to reach the point we all want the Spyder to be at.

In the meantime, I'll be riding my RS like I stole it

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I've had mine go into limp mode with small problems. I shut the bike off and restarted and back on the road to the dealer. 1st time it needed a throttle body and Can-am was right on top off it. they put the part on an air plane in Ga. and I had it by 10:00 am the next morning VERY HAPPY !
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick