Thread: Key in Frunk

Spyder Garage

Default Key in Frunk

I was closing the frunk to head in for lunch with the group and as it clicked I thought....Oh crap!!! My key,wallet, and cell phone is in my coat pocket. I knew I wasn't the only one to do this and remember reading something on this forum. One of the guys had a smart phone with a good signal and 5 minutes later the left panel with the quick clips was removed, the latch cable identified, and a slight tug released the frunk. This forum is awesome, as are all the helpful people. Keep posting those boo-boos and the solutions. Your not alone and the life you save might just be mine, or at least keep me from calling the wife to bail me out.
    Stay Safe!

PaulB

2011 Orange/Black Spyder RS-S

Spyder Garage

Here's an idea for the future. Drill a small hole in the oil dip stick handle, and use a small black cable tie, to connect your spare key to it. It only takes 30 seconds to remove the tupperware and then your back in business.
    If you don't want your spare on the bike you can also have a key cut to open the frunk, and use a hide-a-key box on the side of the oil sump.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyderlovers.com is awesome!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Key in Frunk

I keep my spare key on a lanyard around my neck under my shirt whenever I ride. Part of my pre-ride ritual is to hang that key around my neck. It doesn't get in the way, and it doesn't get lost/locked away. But, that's just me. The lanyard came from Sports Authority and cost less than $5.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

You could just bring your wife along with you when you ride and have her carry the spare key on her! That's what Erags does!
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire911 View Post
    Your not alone and the life you save might just be mine, or at least keep me from calling the wife to bail me out.
    ...And they NEVER miss a chance to remind us of these kind of things; do they?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had the same thing happen to the wife. On the 4th day of ownership (2011 RSS) we stop at our favorite burger joint and Bam!! trunk locked with key inside. After I drive home (8 miles) and retreive her spare key I new this was going to be an ongoing problem. So, Off to Spyderlovers for a soultion. I think it was Scottys post of the emergency trunk release cable. I installed a cable on her RS in about 45 min then I put one on mine. WORKS GREAT!!!
    Now she can lock that darn key in her bike anytime she wants. Oh yea, I also wire tied her spare key under her left side cover just incase she breaks the cable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    You could just bring your wife along with you when you ride and have her carry the spare key on her! That's what Erags does!

I really like the ERAGS approach.....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

IPS - In Plain Sight ...solves the problem.
    Happy Owner * 2013 RT Limited, 2009 RS SE-5

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some months ago I took Scotty's wire in a plastic tube a step further. I've never locked my keys in the frunk, but wanted quick, easy access without having to get the key back out. I ran some picture hanging wire in a tube from the frunk release through the rubber collar around the steering shaft and put a 3/4" ring on the end. If I'm around I leave the ring above the collar. If not it tucks down below = outta sight. This way I don't have to take a panel off. Less work.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series