Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why can't people keep negative opinions to themselves?

Yesterday, I attended a small bike event. I parked my right next to the food vendor. Although I don't know him, I have seen him around and we recognize each other. This was the first time he realized I drove a . He works with his daughter (probably about 20 or so) in his concesion. His daughter said that's what she wants to ride (he is a biker also). He then replies they are too dangerous. I started to give my usual lecture on safe driving, equipment, etc., but that wasn't where he was heading. He replied he has a friend (isn't there always a third party involved) who test drove one and hated it. Again, I tried to give him my speech that the is a learning experience and it takes several rides to really get used to it. No, again, he was heading in a different direction. He said his "friend" said it wouldn't swerve. If you needed to avoid something in front of you quickly, you couldn't. As we all know, nothing could be farther from the truth. If you want to do a quick swerve, hang on you gonna swerve. But he didn't want to hear it. That was all I could take. See Ya.

I no idea what he rides, but I would never go up to him and criticize his bike. That's his choice and more power to him. It doesn't bother me, but he might influence a future prospective Spyderlover not to become one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that the first thing that you must accept is that not everybody is going to think that the Spyders are the best thing since sliced bread and Mother's milk... We like them; which is why we're not in another forum extolling the virtures of something else.
    I like the way a local Yamaha dealer used to describe folks who didn't ride Yamaha snowmobiles (me included!)
    "Forgive them... They're stupid!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Your first mistake was to keep on talking to him after his first statement.
    Lectures are for School, not in a parking lot.!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default negative opinions

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 18, I'm now 64. The last 16 years on mostly Gold Wings. Since getting my spyder I have encountered 5 deer and 1 bear on packed gravel roads. I was able to avoid contact on all occasions . These were near type crashes, not distant sightings. I know if I had been on my Wing sure I would have SWERVED and promptly dumped it and slid into the animal or off the road .So to the know-it all BIKER/VENDOR Swerve on my friend Swerve on ROCK Mike

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Yesterday, I attended a small bike event. I parked my right next to the food vendor. Although I don't know him, I have seen him around and we recognize each other. This was the first time he realized I drove a . He works with his daughter (probably about 20 or so) in his concesion. His daughter said that's what she wants to ride (he is a biker also). He then replies they are too dangerous. I started to give my usual lecture on safe driving, equipment, etc., but that wasn't where he was heading. He replied he has a friend (isn't there always a third party involved) who test drove one and hated it. Again, I tried to give him my speech that the is a learning experience and it takes several rides to really get used to it. No, again, he was heading in a different direction. He said his "friend" said it wouldn't swerve. If you needed to avoid something in front of you quickly, you couldn't. As we all know, nothing could be farther from the truth. If you want to do a quick swerve, hang on you gonna swerve. But he didn't want to hear it. That was all I could take. See Ya.

I no idea what he rides, but I would never go up to him and criticize his bike. That's his choice and more power to him. It doesn't bother me, but he might influence a future prospective Spyderlover not to become one.

I have relatives that at the time were riding a 2 wheeler and were invited on a Spyder dealer ryde/BBQ with door prizes that was absolutely free to everyone. The wife was overheard going to "all" other 2 wheelers on that event saying, under her breath, "We don't like those Spyders, do you". I thought that was really the height of stupidity and ignorance!! Then after this ryde they were heard saying to other 2 wheelers that..."those Spyder people are not very friendly and they felt like outcasts", which was totally untrue...they were engaged with lots of Spyder people in conversation!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... you know what they say:

The two most abundant things in the universe is hydrogen and ignorance....

Spyder Garage

Had one of those at a car show this weekend.

He was looking over my bike and telling his wife how dangerous they are and how they tip over easily.

I was standing beside him and commented... "no they don't". He responded with '"how would you know" and and I told him it was my machine and that he was wrong.

He began to go into detail about how you can't steer them and they aren't agile and I chose not to get into a long discussion with him.

I left him with.....

"It takes a certain skill to ride these machines and some people just don't possess the skills needed to ride them properly. If I put you in a Formula One car, you'd probably crash on the first turn... this is kinda similar."

DT
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

He was looking over my bike and telling his wife how dangerous they are and how they tip over easily.

I was standing beside him and commented... "no they don't". He responded with '"how would you know" and and I told him it was my machine and that he was wrong.

He began to go into detail about how you can't steer them and they aren't agile and I chose not to get into a long discussion with him.

I left him with.....

"It takes a certain skill to ride these machines and some people just don't possess the skills needed to ride them properly. If I put you in a Formula One car, you'd probably crash on the first turn... this is kinda similar."

DT
    GOTCHA!!!!!!

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Incredible...

Referring to the original post on this thread.... Isn't it amazing how these rock solid opinions from someone who has never been on a Spyder. His friend told him how dangerous it was and most likely came to that conclusion after riding the thing 1/4 mile or less up the street and back.
    What's the old saying??? "Don't confuse me with the facts...My mind is made up".. ...Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Folks become very committed to their decisions once acted upon in the form of a purchase of a motorcycle. If they see something in the way of a shift in thought as to what is a motorcycle or a way to ride they become very defensive and is some cases aggressive. Over the last thirty years of riding I have seen this any times. First was with off road and dual purpose bikes and the response from the then mainstream universal japanese bike rider and HD touring rider. A few years later high displacement bikes were making their appearance and any bike under 900cc's was considered a women's or starter bike. I guess it's now our turn in the barrel. Wait a few years and electrics will take our place as "not being real bikes". In short misery loves company and people may turn envy into sour grapes. I no longer care to discuss reality with those who have no clue. Remember it takes two stupid people to try to have a meaningful discussion with a stupid person!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

I left him with.....

DT
    LOVE IT ! !

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is it that they say?
    "Never argue with an idiot. You'll have to drop down to his level to do it, and then he'll beat you because he's had more experience at it!"

Spyder Garage

A short test ride with someone that has ridden 2 wheels all their life is probably going to give a false impression of what the Spyder is all about. A good example of this is the very negative, ignorance based, web article from an 'Expert' that was circulating around.

Some 2 wheelers feel threatened by the Spyder. They know if offers things that no 2 wheeled machine can match. They hate the Spyder before they even try it. When they find that they don't like it in their 15 minute test ride, they are elated and begin to evangelize whoever will listen.

It is amazing what people will repeat having absolutely no clue of what they are talking about. The less they know, the more adament they are about their position. Facts from a knowledgable source are simply unimportant to them.

The Spyder is winning hearts all over the world. It is an extremely viable alternative to 2 wheels and eventually, those that are interested in the truth will discover it for themselves.

Until then, I will enjoy my Spyder regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It really is hard to "agrue" with someone who has their mind made up. I don't waste my time in a situation like that.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What is it that they say?
    "Never argue with an idiot. You'll have to drop down to his level to do it, and then he'll beat you because he's had more experience at it!"
    I totally disagree,,,,,,wait. I am not arguing with you Bob.
    LOL!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A short test ride with someone that has ridden 2 wheels all their life is probably going to give a false impression of what the Spyder is all about. A good example of this is the very negative, ignorance based expert, web article from an 'Expert' that was circulating around.

Some 2 wheelers feel threatened by the Spyder. They know if offers things that no 2 wheeled machine can match. They hate the Spyder before they even try it. When they find that they don't like it in their 15 minute ride, they are elated and begin to evangelize whoever will listen.

It is amazing what people will repeat having absolutely no clue of what they are talking about. The less they know, the more adament that are about their position. Facts from a knowledgable source are simply unimportant to them.

The Spyder is winning hearts all over the world. It is an extremely viable alternative to 2 wheels and eventually, those that are interested in the truth will discover it for themselves.

Until then, I will enjoy my Spyder regardless of what anyone else thinks.
    I agree Ron
    A lot of folks go into the test ride out of curiosity only, with no intent to purchase. Some have pre-conceived notions of their opinion of the spyder and a short test ride just "confirms" their pre-conceived opinion. The problem is that they then go around proclaiming how scary and dangerous their test ride was, as if 10-15 minutes made them an expert.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It really is hard to "agrue" with someone who has their mind made up. I don't waste my time in a situation like that.
    sure makes my life peaceful. I cannot control anyone else, BUT I should control how I respond...plus I believe strongly that you are entitled to your opinion...doesn't mean I have to agree with it to be your friend...if I lived by only have friends that see life as I do (agree with me)...I would be (probably) friendless!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

You know, James, people are going to think what they are going to think. I have no such inclinations to have these battles of witts with such unarmed people. I don't know why so many riders are so uneducated as to try and group the Spyder in with any motorcycle brand or type. I had this same debate (for a few minutes) on another forum in which I stated the case that the Spyder is a unique platform which takes a particular skill set to ride effectively and that motorcycle skills don't even enter into this equation. But somehow the bias just went on so I gave him the "your an idiot" post and left it at that. Funny thing was a guy with a triked Wing entered and just flamed the dude! I just left it at that...

There is never any need to defend ourselves, our machines or why we ride them. As long as we are OK with it, who cares what they think?
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

It's a shame that some people feel this way. In addition to the no-minute test-drive "experts" who with no experience belittle the actual handling of the Spyder, you also get the "training wheels" crowd who think that 3-wheels isn't manly, cool, or whatever adverb/adjective combo they wish to use. They get offended when you call the Spyder a "motorcycle," they ask why you didn't just buy a Miata*, etc., etc.

I admit, I routinely call the Spyder a motorcycle or bike as useful shorthand, especially since that's what most people do when they see it, but with an experienced motorcyclist, I usually avoid going this far into the conversation by emphasizing that the Spyder is like a motorcycle, but it's not.

I don't want to parrot the BRP marketing line-- "roadster", that creative PR invention, blecch-- but the Spyder *is* in a class of vehicle by itself, as distinct from a motorcycle as a motorcycle is from an ATV or a snowmobile.

They still have things in common-- demands for skill, maneuverability, exposure to the elements-- that they DON'T share with cars. I got rained on in 45 degree riding this weekend, same as any HD or BMW rider.

Another question I often ask experienced motorcyclists is if they're familiar with a regular 2-back trike. When they say yes-- often followed-up with, "Those handle horribly, head shakes, etc."-- I follow-up with, "Yup, the Spyder handles nothing like that"

Anyway, as I'm fond of saying, I grew up riding go-karts in summers at Wisconsin Dells, always wishing I had one, and now I have an adult-sized go-kart that I can take out on the road.

I enjoy it for what it is, I don't feel I'm missing out for what it *isn't*.

* It's tough for the ego, but the Miata/Spyder dynamic is quite complementary: both are derided by some as being uncool, "chick" cars/bikes, etc., but both are absolutely awesome at what they do, as any driver/rider would quickly tell you. I don't own a Miata, but I'd love to, seeing as they're ridiculously fun and maneuverable cars to push to the limit-- just as the Spyder is.
    Last edited by daveinva; 10-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To bad people are that stupid . like mid 90's katana boy in my parking lot . Once he started in with ignorance about the spyder . I asked him why is was to much os a sissy to ride a GSXR ? he didnt like that at all as I walked away ;P

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Miata?

A Miata is too slow. Is a Spyder comparable to a Honda S 2000? If so, hold on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
    A Miata is too slow. Is a Spyder comparable to a Honda S 2000? If so, hold on.
    Heh. *My RS* sure as heck is comparable to the (glorious) S2000... at least when I ride it
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I totally disagree,,,,,,wait. I am not arguing with you Bob.
    LOL!
    You better not be... I've got TONS more experience operating at this level!

Spyder Garage

He said his "friend" said it wouldn't swerve. If you needed to avoid something in front of you quickly, you couldn't. As we all know, nothing could be farther from the truth. If you want to do a quick swerve, hang on you gonna swerve. But he didn't want to hear it. That was all I could take. See Ya.

We just made it back from a GWRRA endorsed training for trikes. The first thing that impressed the instructors is that there were more s than GW trikes. And as far doing quick swerves, we made some experieced riders believers of the . We put them Nanny's to the test and got some great results.

But people like the one you talked to probably believes in Facebook being charged for accounts next month and that a Prince of Nigeria is going to send him a reward for transfering his millions just for using his bank account.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I sometimes Manuver (Swerve) from the centerline to the shoulder when on 2 way traffic roads (If noone is behind me) at 45-50 mph to practise the manuver just in case some idiot pulls out to pass and is heading right at me.
    The Spyder is safer than most BUT I always remind myself before I leave the house that The Cager always has the right of way because I don,t have a Seat Belt OR Air Bag?
    While most bikers are quite friendly and wave I have been given the middle finger 2 or 3 times from people in cars!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!