Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you know?

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought my new baby and already in just under a week have managed to put about 400 miles on her. Having done this, I am wanting to look at some mods for comfort. Specifically I'm looking at handlebar risers (so I can ease the pressure on my hands and back) and a touring windshield (so I'm not beaten to death by the wind). With the four different heights in both windshields and handlebars, the thing that I'm not sure about is how one knows what height is correct for them . Looking that the amount of money that I would have to spend, especially on the windshield, I'd hate to buy one that is too short . I'm about 6'5" with a 32" inseam. I'm have less trouble with the windshield than I am the handlebars. I think that I would need to go with either the BRP 25" ultra touring windshield or this kind that I found on ebay (see link below). The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I'm not sure if there is a correct height that I should have. When I was talking to the cycle shop, they told me that I should have the line of the windshield just at my eye level so that I can peek over it if I need to, which actually makes me wonder if the 27" I found on ebay will be too tall . Also I notice that this windshield doesn't have the flarings that the BRP one does so I'm not sure if it will keep the wind off of me as well . So I'm wanting to know if there is any kind of standard for the height I should be looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-A...#ht_1104wt_719

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

With Every bike i've owned i ended up with 3 windshields, Its pretty hard to get it right the first or second time.
    A rule of thumb would be that the top of the shield breaks between your upper lip and the bottom of your nose.
    I Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new ride. Ride safe and enjoy.
    For what it's worth, been there, done that. I am 6'6" and I really don't think a 27" shield is going to do it for you. Of course, a lot depends on the angle at which it's installed. I would take a hard look at an adjustable windshield like the Madstad. I have an old F1 that is 31" with another slide that can go up another 4 inches. I don't use the slide much. The angle I have on mine is pretty severe so with a more upright angle you may get away with a shorter one.
    As far as risers are concerned, that was the first mod I did a couple of years ago. I have the 4" ones from ESI(site sponsor). With your height, I would not even consider anything less than 4 inches. If you search this forum there are lots of threads on risers. One thing you will find is that 4 inches is the max you can go with the current cables.
    Good luck. One of the enjoyments of owning a spyder is making it your own with your own mods.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

California Scientific has a guide for measuring the correct windshield height for you on their website www.calsci.com you could give that a try. I put one of their shields on a GS and liked it very much. It has an opening near the bottom which helps to eliminate buffeting. As for the risers, if you sit on the Spyder, close your eyes and hold your arms out at a comfortable riding position then open your eyes and measure the distance between the current handlebars and your hands to figure out your ideal position and the amount of risers needed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used the Madstad on the RS and once you get her adjusted she rocks!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I like my madstad as well. My bf (who's 6'6) rode my Spyder with the madstad on it but adjusted for me and not him and he said even with it like that it was better as far as being beaten up by the wind. He got his own bike shortly after that, so we never fixed an adjustment for him. If you get something and it doesn't work, you can probably sell it here or ebay or craig's list or something. Most likely you won't be out a ton of money.

I got risers installed on mine before I drove it off the lot. Just the small ones (1 inch, I think) worked for me, but I'm only 5'4.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb ws+risers

i have a cal-sci ex-large and it's not quite enough, so i would recommend the madstad+robobrackets, which is what i'm going with soon. i put 4.5 '' easy risers on and they are great and look great also. a cheaper alternative would be dog bone risers. they don't look as good, but a fraction of the price. check out BIGARM mods album for pics.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I am vertically challenged so what works for me is not going to help you much. The others have given some good suggestions though. on your ryde.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am 6'-2" and think an adjustable shield is the best way to go. I have the CHAD, but it is no longer made. I think Madstad would be the best available option.

As for risers, I went wit the 3" riser from Spyder City, a site sponser. This worked real well for me.
    http://www.rtsales.org/eshopprod_cat...LLET_RISER.htm

When my wife, who is 5'-2", took over the bike I installed the helibar for her. She loves it.

I also recommend highway pegs, if you don't already have them. These will change your riding position to a bit more upright and affect the positioning of the windshield.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

I put the madstad windshield on also. Love it cuz you can change the angle but I'm only 5'4" and put the 20" on. However I like the wind in the face and I put it so I can see over but it keeps the wind off my chest. 4" risers is a must if you want the weight off your hands and wrist. If you are getting the risers you might want to consider the mirror extentions so you can see something other than your own hands. I got mine from ESI. Keep in your mind that the taller the windshield the more the air is blocked, that means it uses more gas.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield and risers

Hey I am about your size, 6'4" with a 32 inch inseam. I went with ISC 4 inch risers and the Madstadt (whichever is their highest windshield, can't remember). I am lucky I only live about 225 milesfrom Mastadt's factory, soI went to them and let him mount the windshield. It is just about at my upper lip line so I look over it, but can hide behind it during bad weather. I also installed BRP lower wind deflectors to reduce the bobble head I was getting. It's perfect now. Still get some wind, but it's not that in your face
    wind that I don't like.

Jim

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put Helibar 5" risers and a 25" windshield on my '09 RS. There is just enough cable to take the Helibar's. They worked great to take he pressure off my back and shoulders. I finished creating a perfect seating position by designing my Seal FloorBoards. I could finally sit straight and really stretch my feet out.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Height is 6'
    Inseam is 31
    Spyder 2010 RT-S
    Riding Style is slightly slouched. (not straight up in other words)
    Effect: When windshield in lowest position I can see about an inch over it. When windshield is in highest position, I'm looking through windshield.

Chris