Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Installation of Garmin Zumo 660 GPS for Spyder RTS

Has anyone installed or had installed a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS for a Spyder RTS. I am interested in purchasing a Garmin, but do not want to go to the dealer to do so. I already had them install a CB communication system and that was pretty costly. I have the audio system that allows me to hear everything through a helmet headset.

Is it possible to order the bracket needed to install the Garmin on my Spyder. I have a mechanic friend who says he can install it for me just need the parts to attach to my Spyder. Thanks for your help!!!

Spyder Garage

Can am sells a kit that has the mounting bracket and wiring harness for $150. Then you can go to Amazon and get a Zumo 660 for about $650.
    Just remember: "It will feel better when it stops hurting!"

Spyder Garage

The GPS Support & Harness kit is P/N 210400318 for the grey, with an MSRP of $149.99, and P/N 219400322 for the chrome, with an MSRP of $219.99.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Your the best!

You guys are great! - thanks so much - I will call them on Monday.

Spyder Garage

But...............Don't plan on the BRP kit for $200 bucks or so to work like the $1200 BRP kit. Just went through this deal. The chrome or grey metal mount will NOT let you mount a Garmin Zumo 660, 665 and have it work like the LTD or the factory installed kit. You are missing much of the cabling that comes with the BRP kit. Still doesn't justify $1200 but makes it alot closer.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a Can-Am kit on eBay for $850 from this dealer. I thought it was a real steal !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEAFB%3AIT
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    But...............Don't plan on the BRP kit for $200 bucks or so to work like the $1200 BRP kit. Just went through this deal. The chrome or grey metal mount will NOT let you mount a Garmin Zumo 660, 665 and have it work like the LTD or the factory installed kit. You are missing much of the cabling that comes with the BRP kit. Still doesn't justify $1200 but makes it alot closer.
    I don't think that's wholly correct.

The original poster said that he already has the ability to hear his radio through his helmet via the BRP installed system, so I surmise all the BRP cabling is installed.

What will be missing is the BRP specific files on the Zumo. One is the Spyder SRF file which provides for a Spyder RT vehicle icon on the GPS screen. There are two gpi files that provide for a listing of all the Spyder dealers to show up in the "Where To" screen. These files are available on the internet, or can be e-mailed if someone asks. The dealer location is actually two files.
    The BRP specific splash screen, the screen that opens up when you start the BRP version of the Zumo is burned into the firmware and can only be obtained by purchasing the BRP branded Zumo. In my opinion, this is inconsequential. You can make your own splash screen should you choose.
    You need to be able to connect your Zumo to your computer. The RT Vehicle icon and the Dealer list are posted by ThankunRT at SpyderRyders.com. I can't take any credit for this. It was HAWK from this forum who originally found the posting.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post336798

ThankunRT's original post is here:

http://spyderryders.com/index.php?/t...-list-rt-icon/

To install the Spyder vehicle icon follow these directions:

INSTALLATION

• 1. Connect the Zumo to a computer, open the Garmin Directory.
    • 2. Open the Garmin Folder.
    • 3. Open the Vehicle folder.
    • 4. Copy the new file to this folder.
    • 5. Disconnect the Zumo, power up the Garmin and select the new Vehicle.

To install the Dealer POI files along with the Spyder icon in the where two follow these instructions:

INSTALLATION

• 1. Connect the Zumo to a computer, open the Garmin Directory.
    • 2. Open the Garmin Folder.
    • 3. Open the POI folder.
    • 4. Copy the new files to this folder.
    • 5. Disconnect the Zumo, power up the Garmin and you will have an icon for the Dealer List.

There is a whole video on this site on how to install the GPS. It's located here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/m...etails&mid=145

Unfortunately, this site won't let me post the zip file, but I can e-mail it if you send an address.

I can't take any of the credit for this. All I did was collate the data.

P.S. Manage attachments says I can post a zip file, but when try, I get an error code telling me the file is invalid. Lamont.....Any ideas ??
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

I can't justify that much money for a GPS on my RT but a friend has a Harley with a Nuvi 255w on and it has been through rain and shine for two years now. I said it was not water proof but he smiled and said "it works" so it has me wondering. $99.00 is a cheap try out and would mount it out of the weather beside the speedo. Just need power there maybe in were the pop outs for gauges I don't have should go. I could put a 12 volt plug there in one of the pop outs and mount the garmin bracket just in front of it under the dash. My buddies garmin is stuck to his gas cap with a suction mount and that it right out there. He told me he has not taken it off in the rain. Worth a try!

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

Garmin makes a Nuvi 500 or 550 both are waterproof. Had mine on the Honda then the RS and now the RTS. Never a moisture problem. On eBay for around $150.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The GPS Support & Harness kit is P/N 210400318 for the grey, with an MSRP of $149.99, and P/N 219400322 for the chrome, with an MSRP of $219.99.
    No need to spend the extra $70 for the chrome version of the mount. I have the chrome handle bars but kept the grey mount. You never see the chrome anyway because it will be hidden by either the GPS or the protective cover.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Garmin makes a Nuvi 500 or 550 both are waterproof. Had mine on the Honda then the RS and now the RTS. Never a moisture problem. On eBay for around $150.
    Note that there is no audio output on the Nuvi 500 series, and they are not compatible with the BRP bracket & cable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I already had my Zumo 660 from my Victory Vision. I just bought the Kewl Metal GPS mount and the BRP harness that plugs in near the right saddlebag and everything works just as it is supposed to. Got the GPS from Getfeetwet for about 650. Oh yeah, I installed it all in about an hour and a half. It was the first time I took off any panels so it took a bit longer. The info I found on hear was very helpful in tearing the thing apart. That was 11k miles ago and not one problem.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Note that there is no audio output on the Nuvi 500 series, and they are not compatible with the BRP bracket & cable.
    When you say Nancy, you mean Betty Jo Bialawski right?

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

I just use a regular garmin I took out of my truck. Been on the bike for 11, 000 miles no problrms. I drilled a hole through the suction mount on the garmin and bolted to the center of the handlebars on my 2014 RTS.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin mounting

I have a 2014 RT-S and purchased a Garmin 660 and have mounted it in the spot where my gas gage was. I purchased a separate mounting device from local vendor( Value Accessories) and have plugged it into my CB harness. The plug is located on the right side ( sitting on the Spyder) by the gas tank under the seat. I also have a volt meter gage on the right side, this I where I get my 12 volts for power. Good luck.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I had a GPS on my 2012 RT L. I lost it. I don't know how or where but it is gone. Does anyone have just the GPS unit itself they would be interested in selling?mI have everything else mounted on the bike I just need the GPS head.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default wiring acc

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    I can't justify that much money for a GPS on my RT but a friend has a Harley with a Nuvi 255w on and it has been through rain and shine for two years now. I said it was not water proof but he smiled and said "it works" so it has me wondering. $99.00 is a cheap try out and would mount it out of the weather beside the speedo. Just need power there maybe in were the pop outs for gauges I don't have should go. I could put a 12 volt plug there in one of the pop outs and mount the garmin bracket just in front of it under the dash. My buddies garmin is stuck to his gas cap with a suction mount and that it right out there. He told me he has not taken it off in the rain. Worth a try!
    ok don't go putting cig lighter plugs all over your bike www.edotechsupply.com sells wiring for gps/sat radio/and a lot of other acc. so you can wire right to your battery or other point on your bike I had this on my vstar worked perfectly also used in my car my gps on my spyder is suction cupped to my windshield on an experimental trial along with my sat radio so far so good

Spyder Garage

Just put one on Vickies RT she loves it had a kit for my F3S used it on her bike still have to put all the wires inside the tupperware,good project for this winter. Jim

Spyder Garage

Cool

MY 12 I put a ball mount on the bars, used a regular Garmin for $79. from WalMart, ran the wire for power to the Battery Tender plug under the seat! Works great whole setup less than a$100.!! Starts Raining I usually put it in the trunk. Not always and it works great.

Spyder Garage

Default Install GPS

This is how I installed a standard automotive garmin on my tri axis bars. There is a center screw hole on the t ri axis bars that is not used for anything. I've got almost 12, 000 miles in the garmin without problems. I just routed the power under the tupperware to the frunk an pluged it into my battery tender connection.

20160928_170113.jpg20160928_170155.jpg20160928_170519.jpg
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 660LM

Hi Maggi,

My wife found a 660LM at a great price. The LM comes with a 3/4 ball mount and I used a dash rack that I made , like the one that JT sells. One last ram mount clast ( about $12 ) ait's ready for wireing.
    Ran the wire through the body work down to the frunk ( battery tender hookup***** remember to get the polarity correct) and it works like a treat. I like the high dash placement much,much more that at the low handle bars center( to LOW for me) Sena bluetooths to theGarmin and all is well.

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-29-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: need more coffee first thing in the AM
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 and 2016 RT-S Models?

I am trading in my 2012 RT-S for a 2016 RT-S

Does anyone know if the GPS harnesses are the same? I would like to keep my Garmin 660 and install it onto the new Spyder. Just not sure if all the plug ins will be the same for both the 2 and 3 cyl.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    I am trading in my 2012 RT-S for a 2016 RT-S

Does anyone know if the GPS harnesses are the same? I would like to keep my Garmin 660 and install it onto the new Spyder. Just not sure if all the plug ins will be the same for both the 2 and 3 cyl.
    Yes. You can remove the harness from your 2012 RT and install it into your 2016 RT. There is a BRP sub harness on your your 2012 RT that was added for the Garmin harness to plug into. It is not needed on your 2016. The connectors are located around the right rear corner of the fuel tank.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Yes. You can remove the harness from your 2012 RT and install it into your 2016 RT. There is a BRP sub harness on your your 2012 RT that was added for the Garmin harness to plug into. It is not needed on your 2016. The connectors are located around the right rear corner of the fuel tank.

That is awesome!
    Thanks so much. I will probably have the dealer do it. How much labour time would you estimate to remove and reinstall onto the 2016?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post

That is awesome!
    Thanks so much. I will probably have the dealer do it. How much labour time would you estimate to remove and reinstall onto the 2016?
    Not sure but I would guess an hour.

2018 F3 LIMITED