Thread: oil checking

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oil checking

ive read a few and I understand letting it warm up so my question is after you let it warm up and shut it off and check the dip stick do you wipe it off stick it back in screw it tight then unscrew it and check it or the first time you pull out the dip stick out after you let it warm up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Check oil level

Quote Originally Posted by lisaplustom View Post
    ive read a few and I understand letting it warm up so my question is after you let it warm up and shut it off and check the dip stick do you wipe it off stick it back in screw it tight then unscrew it and check it or the first time you pull out the dip stick out after you let it warm up?
    I drive my for about ten minutes, park on a level area, then check my oil level.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You really need to take it for at least a short ride to get everything warmed up. I would go for a short ride, pull back in the garage on a known level surface. Take the dipstick out and wipe it off, then screw it back in. Take it back out and read the oil level.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    You really need to take it for at least a short ride to get everything warmed up. I would go for a short ride, pull back in the garage on a known level surface. Take the dipstick out and wipe it off, then screw it back in. Take it back out and read the oil level.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You REALLY should quit fooling around, and read the manual...

You'll never have any trouble, if you just do what they tell you to.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default warm up

let mine warm up too at least the first bar on the temp scale ,, so I guess that is the short ride theory ! pull the stick wipe the oil and re-insert , and do it again for the results of the oil level ...

Spyder Garage

Warming it up without actually riding it can give you false readings & result in messily incorrect oil levels!! Messy either cos there's too much oil in there so it pushes it out via the vent into th air filter; or messy in how much it costs to re-build after you've run the engine for too long on insufficient oil!!

These things have a fairly complex oil system, involving at least a couple of oil pumps & a 'dry sump' as well as a 'wet clutch' that requires oil to even operate, so it pretty much takes actually riding it around a bit, even changing gears up & down a bit as well to circulate oil thru all the pumps, hoses, & pressure sensors in addition to running it long enough to warm everything up properly and then letting the oil reach the appropriate temp & therefore volume & settle the oil into all the correct places for taking a dip stick reading!!

It's really not all that hard a thing to do is it?? Heck, you could even check the oil on your RETURN from any ride you might go on!! Regardless of when you actually do it, surely taking at least a short ride is a tiny cost of time or effort when you compare it to the costs you'd be facing if you destroyed the engine due to an incorrect oil level?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Checking oil

I generally check the oil after a ride. Pull into the garage, let it idle while taking off my gear and the panel. Shut it down and check the oil level. Does not take any extra effort. With 500 miles, since the last change, the level has not gone down at all. My 2009 RS SE5 has 21,000+ miles on it. Am using BRP oil, and having the dealer change it.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

^^ So like a few of us have said....

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    ..... We thus recommend checking the oil level at the end of a decent ride following the complete oil level verification procedure.....
    It really isn't hard!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It is hard on the engine to let it sit and idle when cold. The temperature gauge reads coolant temperature, not oil temperature. They are 2 very different fluids in 2 very different places. Trying to warm your Spyder at idle may bring the coolant to operating temperature, but the oil is still cold. The only way to heat the oil to operating temperature you must ride the Spyder. If you bring the oil level to the full mark when cold, you will be overfilled when the oil heats up.

Check your oil level during a ride or when you return home. It's the only way to get an accurate reading.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-10-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...