Spyder Garage

Default Knock sensor code causing check engine light after service including cat delete tpipe

This relates to my 2012 RT-s SE 5 check engine light comes on and drops off erratically. The mechanic wants to blame it on the new cat. Delete pipe but pitt bulls says that's not a problem after the change. I'm too invested to just let this mechanic slide. I picked it up today after 6 weeks. Pad the bill but it tasted real bad.
    Anyone add to this, give me some ideas for a direction to go on this. Please!!
    Last edited by REDRAM; 03-04-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    2017 RTS , Blue + American flag/US Navy wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say...

If they are referring to one or the other bank being to rich or lean this can come form a variety of places. Never seen it come from the cat delete and you can imagine how many of those have been made. If in the process they might have done something that could have affected the 02 sensor/s this would cause the problem, if the vaccum lines are cracking and leaking (most common) it will give you codes and warnings and so on. Don't know how much they checked but IMHO it is not the cat delete pipe...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, it would help to know which code you're getting to make sure we're talking knock sensor codes, but let's go over the basics for a second.

Think of the knock sensor as a specially tuned microphone whose job it is to listen for the sounds of detonation - and ignore the rest. When it "hears" detonation occurring, it takes control of the ignition timing and retards it so that the detonation clears. There's a limit to how far it can go. This override of the timing continues, with the sensor keeping control right on the verge of detonation, until the situation goes away and the sensor can go out of control without detonation re-occuring. It's not like a switch, there's nothing to reset, and it does all this in the background without lighting any lights or tripping any codes. Unless you have an extremely sensitive butt dyno, you'll never know it happened at all.

So, your mechanic might be mistaken because it typically doesn't throw codes when it thinks it's doing its job, but only when there is something wrong. HOWEVER, a check engine light could also be lit if the noise level is particularly high or if the detonation cannot be controlled by retarding the timing the set amount, such as what might occur if there is a loose part or excessive vibration external to the engine, but being picked up by the sensor. The codes listed in the repair manual refer to wiring, damage, excessive noise or mounting problems.

You have two knock sensors - one on the right hand side of the front cylinder, and the other on the left side of the rear cylinder. It's that little round black sensor with the bolt going down through the middle of it. The code will tell you which sensor is acting up. Number 1 is front, 2 is rear. You'll want to check the mounting, has it come loose - but don't over tighten. and you'll want to check harness connections - especially just disconnecting them and then reconnecting them a couple times. Some contact cleaner never hurt. You'll also want to think about the timing of the knock sensor problem related to installation of the cat bypass, to think for yourself if the two are related. I'm not sure an exhaust leak can fool a knock sensor into thinking it's hearing pinging, but.....check that pipe joint. And they can respond to a loose part or vibration external to the engine. Any metal to metal contact under there between the pipe and frame? Did you do any other work that could have damaged or disconnected wiring. If the Cat bypass were causing a lean condition, you'd typically be getting a lean code. A knock sensor code could be thrown if the sensor was sending a signal ALL THE TIME, even when the ECM is not programed to expect it, or if there is no minimum noise level. And as I said above, a code can be thrown if the detonation could not be eliminated even though it tried. If you get the code thrown with the key ON but engine OFF, again, an indication of a faulty / damaged sensor.

But Pitbull is essentially correct. There's any number of folks out there riding with a cat bypass on and knock sensor issues don't seem to be related. And who did the work, you or your mechanic? I don't find any forums postings relating the two, either. And it's always a good idea to change those two vacuum hoses going to the MAP sensor if they are still the original ones - they have caused more weird issues - and make sure you're using the proper grade of fuel and there's nothing loose / vibrating under there that the sensor could be picking up. The whole thing might just be due to a faulty sensor, too. It happens.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

[Thanks a bunch to all y'all. Since it's the weekend, I'll get back with them Monday and show them what I found out. QUOTE=Snowbelt Spyder;1231595]Yeah, it would help to know which code you're getting to make sure we're talking knock sensor codes, but let's go over the basics for a second.

Think of the knock sensor as a specially tuned microphone whose job it is to listen for the sounds of detonation - and ignore the rest. When it "hears" detonation occurring, it takes control of the ignition timing and retards it so that the detonation clears. There's a limit to how far it can go. This override of the timing continues, with the sensor keeping control right on the verge of detonation, until the situation goes away and the sensor can go out of control without detonation re-occuring. It's not like a switch, there's nothing to reset, and it does all this in the background without lighting any lights or tripping any codes. Unless you have an extremely sensitive butt dyno, you'll never know it happened at all.

So, your mechanic might be mistaken because it typically doesn't throw codes when it thinks it's doing its job, but only when there is something wrong. HOWEVER, a check engine light could also be lit if the noise level is particularly high or if the detonation cannot be controlled by retarding the timing the set amount, such as what might occur if there is a loose part or excessive vibration external to the engine, but being picked up by the sensor. The codes listed in the repair manual refer to wiring, damage, excessive noise or mounting problems.

You have two knock sensors - one on the right hand side of the front cylinder, and the other on the left side of the rear cylinder. It's that little round black sensor with the bolt going down through the middle of it. The code will tell you which sensor is acting up. Number 1 is front, 2 is rear. You'll want to check the mounting, has it come loose - but don't over tighten. and you'll want to check harness connections - especially just disconnecting them and then reconnecting them a couple times. Some contact cleaner never hurt. You'll also want to think about the timing of the knock sensor problem related to installation of the cat bypass, to think for yourself if the two are related. I'm not sure an exhaust leak can fool a knock sensor into thinking it's hearing pinging, but.....check that pipe joint. And they can respond to a loose part or vibration external to the engine. Any metal to metal contact under there between the pipe and frame? Did you do any other work that could have damaged or disconnected wiring. If the Cat bypass were causing a lean condition, you'd typically be getting a lean code. A knock sensor code could be thrown if the sensor was sending a signal ALL THE TIME, even when the ECM is not programed to expect it, or if there is no minimum noise level. And as I said above, a code can be thrown if the detonation could not be eliminated even though it tried. If you get the code thrown with the key ON but engine OFF, again, an indication of a faulty / damaged sensor.

But Pitbull is essentially correct. There's any number of folks out there riding with a cat bypass on and knock sensor issues don't seem to be related. And who did the work, you or your mechanic? I don't find any forums postings relating the two, either. And it's always a good idea to change those two vacuum hoses going to the MAP sensor if they are still the original ones - they have caused more weird issues - and make sure you're using the proper grade of fuel and there's nothing loose / vibrating under there that the sensor could be picking up. The whole thing might just be due to a faulty sensor, too. It happens.[/QUOTE]
    2017 RTS , Blue + American flag/US Navy wrap

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Chief, I would hate for you to have to pay for another round of diagnostic time. You know how to pull up the codes yourself, right? Next time the Check Engine Light comes on, the code is active. Stop the bike, pull over but don't turn it off, just simultaneously depress the Mode-Set-Turn Signal Cancel pushbuttons. Active codes will appear on the center display. Then we can look them up.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default check engine code

I am doing just that - press mode and turn signal - no code. Hmmm
    I Love my
    Linda
    RTS SE5 2012 Red
    GOS member 871

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Press "mode", "SET", and "turnsignal"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Code

I did get the code, thank you everyone for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Press "mode", "SET", and "turnsignal"...
    I Love my
    Linda
    RTS SE5 2012 Red
    GOS member 871

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by La20614 View Post
    And the code is?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by La20614 View Post
    Tell us the code and we will look it up!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black