Spyder Garage

Default Recieved the first "Limp home"code !! 1000 miles from home.

Thanks for the replys on this, getting ready to pull out this morning for another 400 miles heading home and needless to say with limited experience on the spyder I have lost sleep wondering if this will happen and have my wife and I limping down the shoulder of the interstate. If it happens again I will do the code check at you suggested, remove key and try to clear etc. to keep going. I did check the oil when this happened and, as you all know it is difficult to get a good level read on the dipstik, I added about 1/2 quart. I will let it warm up and checek the oil again this morning before leaving. The brake fluid was mentioned, I am pulling a trailer and that could be a possibility although I had just pulled out from the 15 minute stop and gone less than 200 yards when the code happened it did grab the throttle,I was accelerating at the time). We hope to make it to Fort Smith Ark. or there abouts today. I will update this tonight. Thanks for all your thoughts and concerns.

Our trip has been moving along great without any problems until today near Wichita, pulled out from a quick 15 minute stop and the Limp mode appeared and I pulled over to the side of the road not knowing what could have caused it. I turned off the spyder and restarted it and it cleared up. We then drove another 40 or so miles to our next planned stop on our trip and are now at a motel for the night. We have covered 3000 miles so far, The bike was serviced before leaving and I have kept an eye on the oil level (adding less than a quart). Any suggestions? I am really worried about getting home, maybe it was a fluke code. Has anyone had this to happen? the bike seems to be running fine and the last 40 miles today was at regular highway speeds, 65-70 mph.
    Last edited by StanProff; 09-16-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: update and response to problem

Spyder Garage

Probably need more info to respond intelligently. (although I could have all the info in the world and I'm not sure my response would be intelligent)

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you done any digging to rule out possibilities?? Oil level is always a good place to start; is the tank sufficiently "oiled-up"? Have you pulled any codes from the machine?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Limp mode occured to me 4 times, well 5. the first 4, I removed the key and walked away from spyder approx 10 feet and restart limp went away.

On the 5th time, several weeks gone by and several thousands of miles ilimp occurred again, ( rawlings, Wy )and again and again, but managed to get it out of limp mode and contiinue on to Salt Lake City, UT and then I could not get it out of limp mode. Took it to Ride Advenure and they found it to be the throttle body. Replaced the throttle body and have not had the problem since. I do believe their is a Mfg Recal or notice about replacing the throttle body on some 2010 and 2011 RT's.. Check with your dealer upon getting home. I am not saying that this is your problem, but it was mine.

Spyder Garage

Mine done the same thing serval times after running at interstate speeds, would stop to get gas, restart spyder limp mode came on. turn off spyder remove key, code cleared up, spyder ran fine. I believe that it the oil sencor not reading the oil because it is all churn up. Who knows ran fine. Hope the rest of your trip goes great

Spyder Garage

It would be nice to know if you had any other icons or messages scrolling on the screen. Also, displaying the active fault codes using the "Mode", "Set", and turn signal cancel buttons simultaneously would have given a clue as to the cause. Because this happened when you pulled out suddenly, it could be the brake fluid level. Even a tiny bit low on the Spyder can cause limp mode during hard maneuvers, rapid acceleration, or hard braking. Beyond that, I would not worry unless it fails to reset, or stays on continuously.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

also. I have also had an issue when shutting off the engine and restarting to quickly--I have had an orange screen that says check oil level. It goes away after the re-start.

This is one of the quirks that has. If the computer is not totally "happy" all the time--you can get codes--that come and go fast.

Very disconcerting to someone like me--who is mechanically challenged. Riding around Alaska, it can get pretty lonely in some places. I will say though with my experience of 3 's and over 60,000 miles of road driving here--have not been stranded yet. Hope the string continues--I don't strand very good either.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Very disconcerting to someone like me--who is mechanically challenged. ...I don't strand very good either.
    We must be twin brothers from different mothers... If you look up "mechanically challenged" in a dictionary, there's a picture of me making another emergency call to a dealer to see if what I did can be undone!
    Stranding??? Always carry THREE peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a thermos of hot chocolate, five flashlights of varying sizes and battery conditions, enough rags to plug up a drainpipe, at least one credit card with some room on it... and deck of playing cards!

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Faults too!

Haven't been on this site for 2 years, but have upgraded to the 2011 RT with trailer hitch. Went first 600 miles without a fault or limp mode, then added trailer hitch and bam... DPS faults galore. You are right about the oil psi, and dealer can't seem to find the problem, three times to shop. Last time, tire psi and changed the shocks front to 4 position, and back to "hard", Keeps saying that I'm riding the brake, WRONG.. I am experienced rider. Says there is a software interrupt if brake is pressed more than 8 times without complete stopping? or brake held for more than 10 seconds and speed under 6mph? However, I have also experienced after long cruising, short stop for gas, engine light on. Looking for any help here as well.
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captainryder View Post
    Haven't been on this site for 2 years, but have upgraded to the 2011 RT with trailer hitch. Went first 600 miles without a fault or limp mode, then added trailer hitch and bam... DPS faults galore. You are right about the oil psi, and dealer can't seem to find the problem, three times to shop. Last time, tire psi and changed the shocks front to 4 position, and back to "hard", Keeps saying that I'm riding the brake, WRONG.. I am experienced rider. Says there is a software interrupt if brake is pressed more than 8 times without complete stopping? or brake held for more than 10 seconds and speed under 6mph? However, I have also experienced after long cruising, short stop for gas, engine light on. Looking for any help here as well.
    If the diagnostics show the brake is being ridden, and the rider is sure that is not happening, the brake switch may need to be adjusted or replaced. There have been a few of these cases. A good technician listens...then digs further.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!