Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem with new ISO grips!

I love the new Kuryakyn grips I've just put on my spyder. The problem is I have full time cruz control now in that the throttle will not spring back on its own any more. I followed the instructions to the T! Having placed the glue down into the grip and then twisting the grip onto the throttle. I'm pretty sure that would have prevented plowing glue into the part of the throttle that rotates near the switch housing where the kill switch is located. I cant figure out what went wrong and was hoping someone might have a solution. At first I thought I could just live with it, but now its bothering me that the throttle is so stiff to "pull back on".

Spyder Garage

I believe what you did was plow the glue to the end of the grip where it got between the plastic sleave and the bar itself. I have heard of this being done alot. Wish I knew of a fix, but at least you know what it is.

Spyder Garage

The only fix is to try and pull it off and start again. I don't use glue anymore, I just use black tape and squirt it down with Windex and let it dry.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Another possibility is you might have, while pushing on the grip you stretched it a little and its pushing against the switch gear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ran into a similar issue when installing my Avon grips. The problem i had was that I pushed the throttle grip on too far and the end of the grip was bottoming out on the handlebar which did was not allowing the throttle tube/grip to move freely and spring back. This caused what seemed to be a sticky throttle tube but it wasn't, it only needed a small space between the end of the grip and the stationary handlebar. All I did was remove the grip and made sure that I did not push it on as far the 2nd time. If you notice, the factory grips are open at the end and do not interfere with the handlebar, they use expanding bar end inserts to give it that finished look. I did not use glue either, I used Aquanet #3 hairpary and the grips were able to slide on with the lubricity in the hairspray and once it dried it was tacky. Using this method, you are able to remove the grips with some mineral spirits to deactivate teh hairspray and some strength to pull it off. You have about 30 seconds to move the grip around to get it where you want it before it really starts to get tacky. Hopefully this helps, let us know what you find...Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

Black tape and hairspray is an old school method for grip install

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill1963 View Post
    Black tape and hairspray is an old school method for grip install
    What kind of tape do you use, and why does it have to be black in color?

thanks,
    Caladan

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The only fix is to try and pull it off and start again. I don't use glue anymore, I just use black tape and squirt it down with Windex and let it dry.
    Been doing this for years...

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
    What kind of tape do you use, and why does it have to be black in color?

thanks,
    Caladan
    It's the plastic/rubber electrical tape, generally black. You can buy it almost anywhere. Probably already have a roll.

You wrap the handlebars with black tape in an effort to get the proper snug fit with the grip when you slide them on. If too snug, remove some tape. If not snug enough, add some tape. If done right, your grips will work perfectly, but also be able to be removed without tearing them up. On the Spyder, you can even have them not as snug as on a traditional bike, since it's not likely you'll be trying to pick up the Spyder that you let fall over...
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 09-15-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ended up cutting my old grips off with a knife, but how would I remove my new grip with out damaging it? Could I spray brake or parts cleaner into the grip and desolve the glue to pull it off?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hipphammer View Post
    I ended up cutting my old grips off with a knife, but how would I remove my new grip with out damaging it? Could I spray brake or parts cleaner into the grip and desolve the glue to pull it off?
    Goo Gone, Get the one that comes in a spray can, With a thin flat head screwdriver lift up the inside end of the grip and spray it in.