Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RTS belt squeal

looking for info , my 2011 rts in lower gears under torque has belt squeal. had dealer adjust and align and quieted somewhat, it now has 700 miles and dealer reports that some rt models have similiar problems and they are waiting for brp to come up with solution and will let me know of any updates. any comments and or ideas appreciated. have had other issues with the 2011 but thats another day. On a more positive note we have a 09 spyder that we love and have rode the wheels off so to speak and the only time the 09 visits the dealer is for service or any brp updates. thanks for any input.

Spyder Garage

You are just going to have to be patient. As you were told, BRP is researching the problem and looking for a cure. Not all RTs are affected, oddly enough. You have reported the problem to your dealer, and they have offered to conctact you when there is an answer. They are sure to cover it when the time comes. You could try a little belt dressing on the edges of the belt only, if you can't stand it anymore, but be sure to keep the belt dressing off the drive part of the belt. If it causes problebs, you would be liable for the cost of a new belt.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Squeal on RT

I have had the same problem and took it to two dealers one said it was coming from the brakes and he could not fix it! The other said it was coming from the front sprocket and the factory says it is "normal". I believe it is coming from the belt because when I sprayed the belt with belt dressing the noise goes away. I do not know how long it will stay away ( just sprayed it last week) but I will let you know when it comes back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You are just going to have to be patient. As you were told, BRP is researching the problem and looking for a cure. Not all RTs are affected, oddly enough. You have reported the problem to your dealer, and they have offered to conctact you when there is an answer. They are sure to cover it when the time comes. You could try a little belt dressing on the edges of the belt only, if you can't stand it anymore, but be sure to keep the belt dressing off the drive part of the belt. If it causes problebs, you would be liable for the cost of a new belt.
    I appreciate the comebacks, have considered belt dressing but was unsure, will try dressing sparingly and see. I was curious as I have not noticed anything on belt squeal in the forums.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine doesn't squeal ...

... but it chirps. The harder I accelerate, the louder the chirp; usually only in the lower 3 gears. I have a basic RT. I usually run 50 psi in the rear shock. I took it to 90 psi the other day and it got a LOT worse. Do I correctly infer from this that belt tension varies with the movement and preload of the swingarm?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt squeal

I am satsfied that the problem for me is that I live on a dirt/gravel road. It takes a mile of gravel until I get to pavement. It squeals like crazy until the dust clears off the belt. It takes me around 10 miles of pavement before it quits. I mentioned this to the shop guy and he said he has seen many "dusty squealers." It doesn't bother me because I know it will stop soon.

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem. The dealer called BRP to make them aware. They said they know of the
    problem and are working on it. The belt is hitting the outer bottom front pulley. I know this because I took a candle and put some wax on the outer edge of the belt and the squeaking went away for a
    day. I told my dealer and they relayed it to BRP. Alot of the 2011 rt are doing this. But some say
    with the belt tensioner it goes away. This makes sense because it takes away the slack in the front to stop the belt from moving up and down on the lower part of the front pulley.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default belt squeal

I notice a momentary squeal when I engage the clutch from rest. Just as the bike starts to move I hear the squeal and then it's gone. I was afraid it was clutch related which would be much worse. Do you all think what I'm hearing is belt-related and similar to what this thread is about? Are people hearing the squeal continuously or just a brief moment as I'm hearing? I sure don't want to send the dealer chasing after a clutch problem that's not there. On the other hand, if it is in the clutch, I want to head it off before it gets worse.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    I was curious as I have not noticed anything on belt squeal in the forums.
    Belt squeal has been posted a number of times over the years,
    Including by me.
    Search again. [some call it belt whine]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too had the same problem and my tech called BRP and they told him to tighten it over what it is suppost to be so now I don't have the noise but I am wondering what will happen since it is tighter than it should be . I have noticed that when i first get on it now and take off it doesn't want to go into second gear and i have to give it more throttle and than it goes in . I thought it was me not pushing the button enough so If it keeps up I am taking it back to the dealer . It doesn't do it after I have rode it for a while just when I first get on it .

Spyder Garage

Just put on Smooth Spyder Tensioner on road 100 miles and all I can say is Holy Poop!!! This thing smooths my RT right out no vibes, belt noise or squeal. Can't understand why BRP doesn't put theses on at the factory. CAPT. JIM you the man fast shipping great directions. Excellent product!!!!!