MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default I am going to do it

I am going to find Lamonts post on drilling the key and i am going to put a hole in mine for a key ring.

I probably wouldn't have done it, but I went to purchase a new garage door opener today. I typically keep the RT in my shop and I have a single button remote for that, but when my son is off to college, I use the third bay of the garage. So I was stealing the remote from my truck and then having to remember to put it back. So, I went today to purchase a new 3 button remote for the RT on a permanent basis.

Found out the coolest thing. My dealer now stocks the mini 3 button that is about the size of a fold over match book! Has a place for a keyring and everything! I wish the spyder key did too. . .

Oh well, I am always game to try new things. I just hope I don't cost myself a hundred plus bucks in the attempt!

I am wishing good luck to myself. That is legal. Right?

Spyder Garage

When we were at the BRP Owner's Event in Maggie Valley we were told a hole is not placed in the Spyder key for a reason...they don't recommend extra weight be placed on the ignition switch by having things hanging from a key ring. Just passing on what we were told. We had to have our ignition switch and module replaced earlier this year when we couldn't get the trunk or seat release to work. (Erags has since removed the seat lock from our bike). That problem has only occurred in 3 bikes in the world (including ours)...aren't we special? LOL.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Default Key Fob for Garage Door

UOTE=SteveMac;367433]I am going to find Lamonts post on drilling the key and i am going to put a hole in mine for a key ring.

I probably wouldn't have done it, but I went to purchase a new garage door opener today. I typically keep the RT in my shop and I have a single button remote for that, but when my son is off to college, I use the third bay of the garage. So I was stealing the remote from my truck and then having to remember to put it back. So, I went today to purchase a new 3 button remote for the RT on a permanent basis.

Found out the coolest thing. My dealer now stocks the mini 3 button that is about the size of a fold over match book! Has a place for a keyring and everything! I wish the spyder key did too. . .

Oh well, I am always game to try new things. I just hope I don't cost myself a hundred plus bucks in the attempt!

I am wishing good luck to myself. That is legal. Right?[/QUOTE]

It works - very easy. I drilled a starter hole with a very small bit - in case there was resistance or I slipped. I then re-drilled with a bit that was bigger. I started the small pilot hole right at the ridge of the raised black rubber - if you error do so toward the center of the key (a bit) otherwise the area left at the top will be very thin (where you put the key ring). Held the key with my foot on a piece of wood - did not want to put it in a vice grip (did not want to damage the key:-)). Having seen the picture (thank you, Lamont) of the open key I was very comfortable doing this. I have the small very very light garage fob attached to the Can Am key, it does not seem to rub at all. I can open my garage as I am coming down the street. Sweet!
    Last edited by GASpyderLady; 08-29-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Blue 2011 RT-S: My Economic Contributions: Rt Hand Brake, RAM handle bar cup holder, Kewl Metal Gadget mount for phone/GPS, Midland CB, High Tech V2 Wireless intercom, GloRiders-Blue, BRP hitch, Bike-rack for travel duffel, Grip Puppies, Arrow mirror turn signals, RT HMT Rear light, Utopia Driver's seat back, Lamont's NBV Highway pegs, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Baker Air Wings
    Life is a matter of Prospective We create our own Prospective.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    When we were at the BRP Owner's Event in Maggie Valley we were told a hole is not placed in the Spyder key for a reason...they don't recommend extra weight be placed on the ignition switch by having things hanging from a key ring. Just passing on what we were told. We had to have our ignition switch and module replaced earlier this year when we couldn't get the trunk or seat release to work. (Erags has since removed the seat lock from our bike). That problem has only occurred in 3 bikes in the world (including ours)...aren't we special? LOL.
    That is very strange. I've been running a Billet Aluminum Key Cover on my Spyder for a few years with no issues. There are probably a few hundred others doing the same thing and I have not heard of any issues with the additional weight.

Maybe because it is centered and balanced.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That does kinda make you wish you had the same luck playing lotto! The FOB is very light so I don't think weight will be an issue. I am more concerned about not destroying the chip in the key.

Spyder Garage

We had to have our ignition switch and module replaced earlier this year ... That problem has only occurred in 3 bikes in the world (including ours)...aren't we special? LOL.
    Make me #4
    My ignition switch doesn't work either! hahahahahah

IMG_3309.jpg

I figured you would laugh at this picture. I wonder where the other half of my key is, lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    Make me #4
    My ignition switch doesn't work either! hahahahahah

IMG_3309.jpg

I figured you would laugh at this picture. I wonder where the other half of my key is, lol
    I don't know where the other half of the key is ... but if it ever gets found and returned to you, I would drill a hole in it and where it as a reminder of your good fortune and the fact that you survived your accident.
    If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If my feeble memory serves me correctly... I believe that the chip is pretty much located under the "N" and the Hyphen, beneath "Can-Am". If you put the hole on the outboard side of the C or the m, you should be ok... BUT PLEASE check with Lamont before believng me!!!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If my feeble memory serves me correctly... I believe that the chip is pretty much located under the "N" and the Hyphen, beneath "Can-Am". If you put the hole on the outboard side of the C or the m, you should be ok... BUT PLEASE check with Lamont before believng me!!!!
    Don't steer me wrong now Bob!!
    LOL
    Don't worry. I'll check Lamonts post carefully. These keys are PRICEY! unlike the other less expensive parts for the SpYder . . .

Spyder Garage

Default Key cover

I have been thinking of a different approach to attach a ring to the key.
    Perhaps a molded or Machined case to enclose the chip end with a small hole to allow for a house or car key to be attached. Thus no drilling or possible chip damage. Scabbard is OK but I keep thinking the key will slip out and I won't notice it's gone until I need it.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    LOL
    Don't worry. I'll check Lamonts post carefully. These keys are PRICEY! unlike the other less expensive parts for the SpYder . . .
    No guts no glory ; People have been drilling those keys [successfully] since the spyder first came out.

Spyder Garage

Default X-Ray'd Key

Here's the post on SpyderTalk where someone X-Ray'd their key (post #18)

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/11676-key/

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There you go,,it works perfectly fine,,

Spyder Garage

Default Not to hijack the thread,

But the original post was regarding options for a garage door opener.

I keep mine in my glove compartment attached with velcro

I would recommend this or something similar. I know others have successfully drilled the key but if BRP doesn't support it, it's probably a suboptimal idea.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

Thanks Lamont!
    Saves me some searching!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    But the original post was regarding options for a garage door opener.

I keep mine in my glove compartment attached with velcro

I would recommend this or something similar. I know others have successfully drilled the key but if BRP doesn't support it, it's probably a suboptimal idea.

I hear you. But here is my thought. I fish around in my pocket like crazy sometimes looking for that one key. People look at me funny and mothers hide their daughters eyes like I'm a perv! Seriously tho attaching the garage door FOB will help me a lot. It bugs me having to flip up the glove box lid when I am rolling up to the garage (or out). Trivial I know. But i have pinched my Dockers in the box lid before on my way to work. Yuck.

But I am sure I will like it when done.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-30-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    There you go,,it works perfectly fine,,
    Excellent. Thanks for the pic!

Spyder Garage

A successful surgery!

TaDa!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post