Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Just a plug for Seafoam

I've been using this stuff for years and I never recommend a product that I don't believe works. Just before my trip to Sturgis I was having some issues with my fuel injectors, they were throwing a code on and off on BUDS. I couldn't find a replacement injector before I left so I did the only thing I knew to do and that was to run some Seafoam through my tank and see if I could get it cleared up good enough to get me there and back.

When it started running bad I was getting 23 mpg towing the trailer on the RT. I did have a plugwire that was bad and I'm sure that didn't help. I fixed that but it was still running a little rough. Before I would get 26-29 mpg towing the trailer. I ran a can of Seafoam going out to Sturgis and my mileage started to pick up a bit, I went to 24-25 mpg. Whenever it would run a little rough at idle I would add some more at the next fuel stop. By time I got to Cuba MO my mileage was pretty much back to where it was but I was still having some stumbling at idle from time to time. By time I was ready to leave Sturgis I had run two can's of Seafoam through the RT. My idle was fine and my mileage had picked up quite a bit. The best I got was 34.6 mpg towing a loaded trailer at 60-70 mph. From there on I've been getting 30+ pretty much every fill up now. I went on a little ride today with the wife towing the trailer and at 70 miles on the odometer I've only dropped two bars on the gauge. Our speed was mostly 45-55 mph. The RT is running really great right now and I got to think the Seafoam was the main reason it's running so great.

I got a message from a guy that was having the same poor mileage and I recommended Seafoam to him and I just got this message back from him.

Just to let you know, I dropped a can of seafoam into my 2008 PE #1065 and that tank and the next averaged at 37.145 mpg. I never did that well before. It has a little over 50,000 miles but I try to ride it more since my RT I bought may 15tth has over 9,000 in it already.the next fill on the RT will be with a can also. I think the 9.00 is money well spent thanks for putting the info last week
    http://www.seafoamsales.com

Spyder Garage

How often would you suggest adding a can? Every 4th tank?

Spyder Garage

SeaFoam is good stuff. I've been using the fuel system, crank case additive for years myself. Whenever I'm going on a long trip with my Spyder I carry at least 1 bottle. If you ever get a load of bad gas it can be a life saver. It doesn't hurt to run a can through every 5000 miles as a preventative either.

I've also used the SeaFoam transmission treatment on 2 different cars. I have tried a lot of snake oils and you are usually lucky if they don't make it WORSE! I've NEVER found anything that worked on an automatic transmission.

But I have to say, with the 2 automatic transmissions I've had that were slipping, (1 F250 Ford truck and 1 Chevy Venture van) worked flawlessly after a few hundred miles with the SeaFoam treatment in them. I've put 35K on the Chevy Venture and 8k on the Ford truck and both transmissions work great!

I DO NOT recommend the transmission treatment for the Spyder!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dtryke View Post
    How often would you suggest adding a can? Every 4th tank?
    If you're not having any issues I would use it along with your oil change (in the fuel tank). If you are having issues I would use it until you see some good results. Like Ron said I would not go on a long trip without at least one can. You can get this stuff just about anywhere including Walmart.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and location to purchase. Quick question... I remember reading about a shift solenoid ground wire bulletin. Don't know if mine was corrected or not, but was in neutral today, and had to hit the shift button 4 times before it went into first gear. Never happened a second time. Does this sound like the solenoid ground wire phenomenon?

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Butch a firm believer in SeaFoam...it's been used in every vehicle we've ever owned --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

How is this for strangeness...

Litterally as I was reading THIS post on Seafoam, my local new station was mentioning about a Washing DC reporter located in the DC waterfront covered in Seafoam (Probably sewage foam); http://nation.foxnews.com/hurrican-i...toxic-sea-foam

Granted they only share the name as the same, and nothing about the product is related or implied. i thought it was an odd coincidence. I was trying to locate where I can by the Seafoam product as I it looks like a great product to try and have on hand.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Do I understand correctly that the advocates of SeaFoam are recommending putting a whole can in a tank of 6 gallons of gas? I think I used to put 2 cans in my boat's 100 gal tank.
    Just wondering if
    I dropped a can of seafoam into my 2008 PE #1065 and that tank and the next averaged at 37.145 mpg.
    really means a whole can.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    Do I understand correctly that the advocates of SeaFoam are recommending putting a whole can in a tank of 6 gallons of gas? I think I used to put 2 cans in my boat's 100 gal tank.
    Just wondering if really means a whole can.
    No, put the recommend amount in till the can is gone, not all at once.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Lamont, I believe this stuff works. In late 07 I bought my second Valkyrie it was an 03 model with only 3000 miles on it so it had not been rode very much. It was not running very well but I was pretty sure what was wrong. Three tanks of gas with 1oz of seafoam per gallon and it ran like brand new. Now at least twice a year the Valks get at tank of seafoam mix, I have not tried it in the Spyder yet but maybe it is time. I am curious also just how strong of mix have some used and what were the results?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

As for SeaFoam I am also a firm believe this stuff works.. Got a 98 Honda Aero that I run about 2 tanks a year with SeaFoam.. Also, got a 83 Lawn mower (John Deere) and I put a oz or two in the oil everytime I change it, if I don't the old thing smokes like heck, works for lots of treatments other then just gas.. Also, SeaFoam is good for 2 cycle engines as well.. Yep, good stuff for sure... Agreed though, would not use it inless you know you have a problem and only as a gas treatment in the spYder..

X Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish you guys would stop talking about how great Seafoam is. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to get my Seafoam, which I use regularlly, and they have raised the price $1! It brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited by Mr. White; 08-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

What's the difference between Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil? When I was into classic cars years ago, I always used the Marvel stuff.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Todd&Cat

Default Great avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    No, put the recommend amount in till the can is gone, not all at once.
    Lamont, great avatar and your right on about the Seafoam. I've never used it in the Spyder, but I've used it in the truck--good stuff.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post Lamont. I'm going to pick some up today.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Todd&Cat View Post
    Lamont, great avatar and your right on about the Seafoam. I've never used it in the Spyder, but I've used it in the truck--good stuff.
    Yeah that new Avatar is much better.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Yeah that new Avatar is much better.

Chris
    Ditto on the Avatar...we should all have front face avatars and list which Spyder model we have...JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default Seafoam

A big +1 on the Seafoam. Carbs, FI, lawnmowers, Suzuki SUVs it's good for what ails it. Also, in non Spyders, a couple of ounces in the crankcase about 100 miles before an oil change and you wouldn't believe the gunk that comes out! Spyders are cantankerous enough without Seafoam in the oil. Oh, Northern Tool just had Seafoam for < $7.00/can. And a $5.00 coupon. WOOT.

A Seafoam Believer

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Ditto on the Avatar...we should all have front face avatars and list which Spyder model we have...JMHO
    Is that with or without your helmet, George?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Be careful what you wish for...some of us might be quite ugly looking!!!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Be careful what you wish for...some of us might be quite ugly looking!!!
    In Scotty's case it looks just like him. <ducking>

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    In Scotty's case it looks just like him. <ducking>

Chris
    I wear more clothes in the winter, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Is that with or without your helmet, George?
    I was just thinking about a new pic, Scotty, without the helmet...but I would really like to see in the signature what models my friends have here on the site. Sometimes they ask questions and I wonder which model/year they have...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

I was just thinking about a new pic, Scotty, without the helmet...but I would really like to see in the signature what models my friends have here on the site. Sometimes they ask questions and I wonder which model/year they have...

Just kiddin' around with you, George. It took us weeks to get a picture of you without your helmet the first time. I like it when folks put their year, model, and transmission in their signature, too.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

some of the sea foam spray will work as starting fluid and is much easier on the cylinder since its oil and not a solvent that washes away the oil film on the cylinder walls plus it displaces water which is why things are't firing sometimes