Thread: Antenna help!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Antenna help!

I took my 16 year old for a ride this afternoon because it was beautiful out. He's been out with me before, but for some reason, this time he decided to swing his foot over the back of the bike to get off .

NOT a good idea!!

He broke the antenna completely. I removed the cover as well and put that and the broken antenna in the frunk for the rest of the ride.

So now I have a vehicle that's just over two weeks old with no antenna. I generally listen to my iPod anyway, but I really want the option to listen to radio if I feel like it.

What are my options? Just a replacement through the dealer (I'm guessing that won't be cheap)? Aftermarket somewhere - and if so, any suggestions? Also, I'm NOT mechanically inclined (I'm the exact opposite - to give you an idea, I was able to install the Seal floorboards myself but am not brave enough to tackle the swaybar until I have some help!). If it's something I need to do, it has to be simple so please keep that in mind with any suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!! in advance...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check threads..!!

there are several threads on the subject. I believe many have gone to the shorty antenna and get them at walmart. Much depends on what was broken..good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if the base is still intact just buy a shortee ant..will need a offset wrench to unscrew the old ant from the base pretty easy took like less then 5mins for me.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I see some threads about "shortee antenna" at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there are several threads on the subject. I believe many have gone to the shorty antenna and get them at walmart. Much depends on what was broken..good luck..!!

...but when I do a search on walmart.com, I don't get any hits. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing (which is easy to do - a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous and I have VERY little knowledge!!). I'll have to just drive down there and see if they have something.

Thank you!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the accident with the antenna.

WalMart has had a shorty antenna for around $10.00, and it does work. It has all kinds of adaptive hardware that goes with it. Check in their auto department.

A replacement stock antenna is about $75.00.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The threads are M6. I picked up a flex one at an auto parts store for 10 bucks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...93494487_o.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by GMac View Post
    ...but when I do a search on walmart.com, I don't get any hits. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing (which is easy to do - a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous and I have VERY little knowledge!!). I'll have to just drive down there and see if they have something.

Thank you!!
    This is the walmart antenna. Works Great
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A huge THANK YOU to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by GMac View Post
    I took my 16 year old for a ride this afternoon because it was beautiful out. He's been out with me before, but for some reason, this time he decided to swing his foot over the back of the bike to get off .

NOT a good idea!!

He broke the antenna completely. I removed the cover as well and put that and the broken antenna in the frunk for the rest of the ride.

So now I have a vehicle that's just over two weeks old with no antenna. I generally listen to my iPod anyway, but I really want the option to listen to radio if I feel like it.

What are my options? Just a replacement through the dealer (I'm guessing that won't be cheap)? Aftermarket somewhere - and if so, any suggestions? Also, I'm NOT mechanically inclined (I'm the exact opposite - to give you an idea, I was able to install the Seal floorboards myself but am not brave enough to tackle the swaybar until I have some help!). If it's something I need to do, it has to be simple so please keep that in mind with any suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!! in advance...
    I went down to our local WalMart and found one there (at everyone's suggestion). When I came home to take off the old one (it was broken off right at the base) I found that the offset wrenches I had wouldn't work (not small enough) so I made another trip, this time to the auto parts store. They let me take some wrenches outside to try them until I found one that was the right size so I came home, removed it and was able to get the new one installed ($9.00 for the antenna and $7.00 for the wrench - a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the stock one).

It works like a champ!

On a side note, my son was told that if he kicks this one off it will get shoved somewhere he doesn't like (I was kidding - kind of).

Thank you again - as always, everyone's help here is invaluable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default That's the one I bought

Quote Originally Posted by chisel_maker View Post
    This is the walmart antenna. Works Great
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627

I thought I was looking for one that was actually a brand name of "shortee" when I did the search (shows how much I know!!).

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

Mine snapped off when I was installing cover. BRP replaced free of charge. That's why we have warranty guys. Good luck. I have a 2011 rts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I thought about seeing if it would be covered under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by soepy View Post
    Mine snapped off when I was installing cover. BRP replaced free of charge. That's why we have warranty guys. Good luck. I have a 2011 rts.
    But I didn't figure clumsy big footed teenagers would be covered. I actually kind of like the shorter one - I don't have to bend the taller one down so I can put the cover over it every time now.

Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Default i got this one too

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The threads are M6. I picked up a flex one at an auto parts store for 10 bucks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...93494487_o.jpg
    it works great very flexible kick it all day long lol...