Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Locking away the keys.......A Florida adventure

Just returned from a week of touring in Florida. I had to visit some clients in the lake country in the middle of the state and my wife suggested she tag along and we ride both RT's. After five days of the Florida/south Georgia heat I don't think we will visit Florida in the summer on the bikes again. It was pretty brutal with a heat index of 105-107 almost every day.

My wife made the trip interesting on the fourth day. We had pulled into the motel and she began to unpack while I checked in. The motel had not reserved the ground floor room we wanted and since the only room available was three floors up I decided to move on up the road to find another motel. When I came outside to tell my wife the news, she dropped her purse back in the frunk, closed the lid, put her helmet back on and then uttered a very unladylike word.

You guessed it, she had put her keys in the purse that was now securely locked in the frunk.

I told her not to panic and use her spare key. Of course, the spare key was in her purse.

I called the closest dealer in south Georgia that was about an hour and a half away. The service manager said other than taking off the left side panels and trying to release the lock cable he didn't have a solution. He said they had tried that unsuccessfully on a roadster at his dealership but finally had to break the frunk lid to get inside.

I borrowed a tire iron and a claw hammer from one of the guests and gingerly wedged them under the lid but nothing released. Then my wife took the hammer, inserted the claw end in the middle of the frunk lid and pried up. With a slight clunk, the lid came free along with two broken pieces of the underside of the lid that held the lock pin in place. I had planned to use duct tape to hold the lid in place for the rest of the trip but the breaks of the lid pieces that held the lock pin in place were so clean I decided to super glue them. They lined up so well I was able to put even pressure on the pieces to get a secure bond. Once it was set I locked and released the frunk a few times and it worked perfectly.

I read somewhere that once something is bonded well with Superglue it is stronger than before. I had planned to buy a new frunk lid but since it appears to be working well, I don't think I will be in a great hurry to replace it. The lock is not a stress part and if it does come apart, I can always order the lid at that time.

Anyone have a better location for the spare key?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep one key to my husband's bike on my key ring and he keeps one for mine on his.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I keep one key to my husband's bike on my key ring and he keeps one for mine on his.
    Ditto!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Anyone have a better location for the spare key?
    I keep mine safe and sound at home, but dang if I remember where I put it
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I had a magnetic keyholder attached to the oil reservoir for over a year. The holder I have was recommended by another spyderlover; I think VTRyder. He also used a wire tie for added security.

I now have an electrically operated button/linkage assy. that is energized with the engine on or off; the button is hidden under the dash and I no longer use the keyholder.

Spyder Garage

My spare key is always on me, it is on a belt hook
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

You might consider this as a solution to both issues. Attach a thin (1/8") braided plastic coated cable to the locking mechanism and run the cable to the left side where you can grab it in the oil tank area. That way, you can open the trunk by taking off the left side panel and pulling on the cable. If you feel safe doing this, you could even keep your spare key in the frunk.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

$5 door actuator from parts-express wired to a hidden button will allow you to pop the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Go to a locksmith, as some of us have, get a non-coded key made that will open your rear trunk. Put your spare coded key in the bottom of the rear trunk. When traveling, carry the non-coded key on your key ring or hang it on a chain around your neck. The chain is more fool proof.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Go to a locksmith, as some of us have, get a non-coded key made that will open your rear trunk. Put your spare coded key in the bottom of the rear trunk. When traveling, carry the non-coded key on your key ring or hang it on a chain around your neck. The chain is more fool proof.
    Dudley, I like this idea.

Thanks,

Rick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the side cover comes off without tools the oil tank side i put a hide a key there and zip tied it i was also able to zip tie a spare belt and sprocket bolt along the frame there

Spyder Garage

Default Keys and trunks

When I got my only one key had the sleeve. Now I keep the sleeved key on a lanyard from Sports Authority around my neck, under my shirt whenever I ride. When I'm getting ready to ride, part of my ritual is key on lanyard under my shirt before I head out to start . As long as the spare key is hanging around my neck, I can't lose it or lock it in the trunk.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Dumb Question

Why not just keep the spare key in your pocket ....thats where mine is
    If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a pretty simple way to prevent these sort of "blood pressure boosters..."
    you could also hide the non-coded key behind the body panel that covers up where you check your oil... (Middle front top something or other)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I keep a 2nd set of keys in my pocket--1 each for the car, and both bikes. I have been doing that since I locked the keys in the car one time back in the 1960's. Has not happened since.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cool Spare Key

Like this idea. Women don't have pockets for spare keys. They are in that purse we lock in the trunk. This is a great idea. My gremlin bell is on a key ring by my foot brake. Bet that would be a good place for a spare trunk key also.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com

Spyder Garage

Default key blank...

Which key blank did you use. As I remember, someone last year mentioned that a Triumph blank did the trick.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Put the purse in the rear trunk, then lock it WITH THE KEY and place key in pocket.

Spyder Garage

the key blank i was told to use(but didn't yet because no one in canada can find one) is "ILCO X270"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Put the purse in the rear trunk, then lock it WITH THE KEY and place key in pocket.
    Pockets?

Who has pockets?

She wears skin tight leathers with no room for pockets.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pockets?

Who has pockets?

Have you no pockets ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    Why not just keep the spare key in your pocket ....thats where mine is

Why is your spare key in my pocket?
    2008 Millennium Yellow SM5 Spyder PE #21
    2005 White Goldwing GL1800

Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    ABSOLUTELY.
    The simplest solution is always the best.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Your key could end up anywhere even when you think it's in your pocket.

A few weeks back on our way home from Rhode Island my spare was in my key case in my pocket, I thought. After over 50 miles of heading on our way, someone in a car pulled up next to me and asked if I knew my keys were tangling from my trunk. He meant my GIVI V46 and I was always so careful to remember to lock and remove the keys. I was lucky that the spare didn't drop out of the opened key case.

I also have a door actuator like Motavar to open my trunk just in case I lock my key in the trunk and don't have my spare.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pockets?

Who has pockets?

When is she err are you guys coming back to Florida

RAL