Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seeking Spyder Owner's advice

Hello everyone, I am a spyder lover. Although I have not purchased one yet, I am totally in love with them. I am also a brand spanking new rider. I have attained my motor bike licenses and have rented a spyder for a weekend. Loved it. Here is where I am wanting to hear from current true owners of the Spyder. . . . . . . . . I have read quite a few articles and post. My concern is that I have heard great testimonies of people that love riding their spyders, but I have also read a lot of stories owners that have issues with the bike and go round and round with dealerships not being able to fix the problem. And they have to go a month or two or three without their bike while it sits at dealer and they try to figure it out.
    So, I really would to know percentage wise how many owners out there have had their bike and actually driven it over 1,000 miles and have not had any problems with it. Please let me know.

Spyder Garage

Those stories bad stories tend to get more 'media attention' than all the happy owners.
    Most have not had problems - and most that have --- have been well taken care of.

43,000 mostly trouble-free miles. Never a problem having a dealer take good care of me.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, now 43,000 miles? That is very impressive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

22,000 miles with no down time on my 2010 RTS. As Firefly said the "bad stories" tend to get more forum attention but I think the vast majority of us have few problems.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

bought mine slightly used, have about 1500 miles so far, no troubles yet

Spyder Garage

I recommend the idea on continuing to rent one. BRP has some serious issues with their dealer base, and only allowing their dealers which they do not control of the quality of to be the only people to have the tools to repair your spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
    I recommend the idea on continuing to rent one. BRP has some serious issues with their dealer base, and only allowing their dealers which they do not control of the quality of to be the only people to have the tools to repair your spyder.
    NOT EVERYONE has a problem with there I took a 08 to Alaska last year. NO problems... some times there was a 1000 mi. between dealers. But when i had a problem it was taken care of. Its a machine there built by humansso mistakes are make or parts don't work right. after 19500 mi. I bought a new one. Igive them . youwon't be sorry, enjoy the ride.
    48 down.

Spyder Garage

I would ignore mr. Sour Grapes. He claims to have some Spyder problems yet refuses to tell the story.

Buy one and get the BEST warranty and you'll be well taken care of should anything happen.
    Certainly a good dealer helps a bunch!

You've already found the BEST place to get the real scoop on Spyders-- and this group will help you along the way!

Spyder Garage

Remember, problems tend to be magnified on the Internet. For every rider with serious Spyder or dealer problems, there are dozens without those issues. A lot depends on your local dealer. If you can get to know yours, and maybe some riders in your own area, you can get a better idea of what your owner experience will be. We have put over 20,000 miles on three Spyders. We had some problems, and though it took time to work through some of them, we are still happy Spyder owners. We would all like to see fewer problems reported, but that's not reality for any hi-tech product. Visit a dealership and get to know them better. Talk to the rental agency about their history with the Spyders...none lead a harder life than rentals. Most of all, talk to some local owners if you can. Only you can gauge your comfort level. I hope you come to the same conclusions we did, and become owners.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Over 60,000 miles on three 's. No major problems with any.

There are good dealers and bad dealers out there. There is a thread with a listing of recommended dealers for all or most states. Buying cheap--is not always the best.

When you get ready to buy--give the site a request about where to buy in your area. You will find lots of suggestions.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like Mr. Nater has issues but he won't fess up and tell us what he did to his Spyder to void his warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

3,000 miles in 2 1/2 months on my RT LTD. I didn't have any problems until the first oil change at 600 miles then the check engine light came on. A lot at first but it settled down after a couple of weeks. As soon as the light came on i took it to the dealer and they said it was okay to keep riding - never had any problems other than the light coming on. I'm getting ready to take it in for the 3,000 mile oil change and hope the 2011-07 service thingy will fix it. The light hasn't been on much lately so I'm not too concerned. I'm enjoying the ride. The gas mileage was terrible for the first couple hundred miles but got better quickly and now feel good with the 35MPG (ish) I'm getting I won't get too wrapped up on the MPG until I get at least 5,000 miles on it since engine and tire break in are a factor. I'm planning a 1,000 mile trip in a couple of weeks and have no reservations about taking the bike.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

8,400 miles on my 2009 SE5 and no troubles at all...If you buy one,you won't be sorry!!

Spyder Garage

Default First Timer

I was worried at first myself, I was in the same position as you, brand new to motorcycling, bought my Spyder brand new literally 2 weeks after I got my License.

I'm about to roll mine over 15k miles, haven't had any issues. In fact, biggest issue I've had is spending more money on gas than I used to!

I've noticed that most of the serious issues you read about (DPS, and stuff like that) have been fixed as time has gone on; have the dealer give it a look over and test run when you look at purchasing one just to be sure and you should be good to go.

Spyder Garage

Default Can beat a Spyder

Not sure what it is in miles, but I have done 8500kms in 8 months on my 2010 RS Sm5
    and have had no issues.

The good stories rarely are told and the bad stories seem to linger a lot longer.

The fact that you like them so much should convince you.
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adspyderlover View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a spyder lover. Although I have not purchased one yet, I am totally in love with them. I am also a brand spanking new rider. I have attained my motor bike licenses and have rented a spyder for a weekend. Loved it. Here is where I am wanting to hear from current true owners of the Spyder. . . . . . . . . I have read quite a few articles and post. My concern is that I have heard great testimonies of people that love riding their spyders, but I have also read a lot of stories owners that have issues with the bike and go round and round with dealerships not being able to fix the problem. And they have to go a month or two or three without their bike while it sits at dealer and they try to figure it out.
    So, I really would to know percentage wise how many owners out there have had their bike and actually driven it over 1,000 miles and have not had any problems with it. Please let me know.
    There are some people with a VERY DEEP Groove in their record. It is important to put everything in perspective.

While it is true that the first Spyders off the assembly line did have some real issues, BRP has gotten things very much better in the last 3 years. I have a Spyder that came off the assembly line in January of 2008. I've had a few issues with it, And they were taken care of quite satisfactorily by Can-Am. It is extremely unlikely that you will have any of the issues I've had as BRP has built them out of the current Spyder line.

Can we guarantee you that there will be no issues with your Spyder? No, but that holds true with anything you buy.

People will ride and ride and never post here. But as soon as they have a problem they post. And that is a lot of why we are all here. We tend to share our enjoyment in person (Lamont's BBQ, Cowtown, etc.) and share our issues on this forum. This is where people come to get help and there is usually much discussion about it.

This tends to make it appear there are many more and much bigger problems than actually exist.

Add to this that some problems are owner induced. Bad riding habits, poor maintenance, bad modifications, etc.

Chances are extremely good that your Spyder experience will be a great one. But we're here should you be one of the relatively few who do have an issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

6500 trouble free and magnificently enjoyable miles here!

Spyder Garage

I'm a new owner, and effectively a new rider too (never rode trikes before, and VERY limited 2-wheel experience 20 years ago).

I'm a firm believer in "warts and all" assessments. Meaning, I'm not going to cheerlead for the Spyder, my dealer or BRP just because I spent $15,000 (to *start*) on a new bike. I don't need the approval of other buyers to validate my purchase, and I'd caution any prospective buyer to always considers stories, both good AND bad, with perspective.

That disclaimer out of the way, the pros and cons:

The pros:
    -- Quite simply, I absolutely love it. It's fun to ride; it's easy, yet it's rewarding. It's unique, there's nothing else like it on the road, and (most) people love it, particularly once they come up close. It's the freedom of motorcycling with fewer of the risks.

(Please note I said "fewer"-- NOT zero; this isn't riding a car, and you can die riding a Spyder just as easily as riding a motorcycle. Sorry to be so grim, and yes, you can die driving a car, too. But the greater risk exists, regardless of how many wheels are underneath you).

The cons:
    -- It's EXPENSIVE.

-- It's EXPENSIVE.

-- Did I mention that it's EXPENSIVE? Not just to purchase, but to operate. And to upgrade and modify. And to maintain. Yes, it's a bargain for what it is (especially the RT when compared to a Goldwing or Harley trike), but if you're a new rider, it's definitely a steep price to pay for a first serious bike. If you don't like it, or if you experience a lot of mechanical trouble, that cost means that it WILL be stressful for you, that much is inescapable.

-- You are still an early adopter. Yes, the Spyder's been around a few years already. But in most respects, it's the same vehicle that was first released. Some bugs, like the dynamic power steering problems, have been diligently worked out. Others linger. New problems will surely pop up. It's the nature of every new beast. You are NOT buying a 20-year old design, which means that you, like every other Spyder rider, will be a test pilot to a certain extent.

-- The dealer network is hit or miss. Some dealers are fantastic. Some are good enough, and getting better. Some are abysmal and shouldn't be selling the product. Again, the nature of the beast-- the network is new, not just to the vehicle, but in many cases, new to supporting a daily rider. Supporting a Sea-Doo that goes in the water a few times a year is different than supporting a daily rider, and in some dealers this difference shows. Likewise, the dealers who already sell other types of motorcycles often don't know what to do with the Spyder-- it's a complex machine, and a new (read: finicky) machine, with a new rider base often consisting of people used to driving and maintaining cars instead of motorcycles.

-- To emphasize that point again: it's not a car, it's a motorcycle, and an extremely high-tech one at that. Dealers are used to fixing up thumpers and crotch rockets, the Spyder is a new beast. Additionally, if you expect to have car reliability and ease of maintenance, you're in for a rude shock. Bikes are not cars, and the Spyder isn't even a bike .

-- BRP is new to this as well. They've invested a lot of $$$ in the Spyder, and all public reports suggest they're getting a good return on that investment. So the good news is, the profit motive will continue to incent BRP to take care of the Spyder. The bad news is, at this stage of the vehicle's history, *sales* will ALWAYS take precedence over support. This isn't unique to BRP; it's business 101-- you can't support what you don't sell. Over time, BRP will focus more on the continuing after-sale support and maintenance, but again: we're early adopters here.

Now, some owners feel that for the price they pay for the vehicle, they shouldn't have to face this reality. That's their choice, and none of us can make those owners happy, only their own experiences matter.

Personally, the best single piece of advice I can give is: keep your eyes open about what the Spyder is and isn't here in 2011, and if you do decide to buy, adopt a "zen" attitude towards it. Most owners have a wonderful experience with their Spyders. Yes, even the ones who may have had to take theirs into the shop more than once. The ones who don't have a good experience, well... I feel terrible for them, I really do, because I know how good it can be when the Spyder DOES fire on all cylinders, and I wish everyone had that same joy.

Bottom line: It's a serious $$$ investment-- resist the temptation to lowball or assume you'll spend less money than you really will-- and there exists a greater potential for mechanical frustration in comparison to more established motorcycles in the marketplace, but I have no regrets about purchasing my Spyder.

Honestly, I wish this thing was around 20 years ago. When I ride it, I wonder where this joyful machine's been all my life!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Very well stated daveinva -- although 'expensive' is a relative term.

My HD buddy paid close to $500 for 2 tires -- not including installation.

I can get a set of Spyder tires for a bit over $200.

If you're handy you can do most of the work yourself and save some $$$.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default buying a spyder

RUN THE OTHER WAY .

Spyder Garage

............can't speak highly enought about the Spyders. First one was a 2009 SE5 with over 11,000 miles that I just traded in on a 2011 RT Limited. The 2009 never had a single issue but the 2011 has had one so far but my dealer had it fixed in under 30 min. Find a good dealer (ask for opinions based on where you live) and go ahead and enjoy one of the finer things in life. You won't be sorry!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Everything that everyone has said above is true. There are probably over 30,000 Spyders on the road with the split about 50/50 between RT's and RS's. Even though RT'S are selling at a greater rate now they have not been on the road as long. Consider how many complaints are on the forum and that there is way less than 30,000 complaints. In three and a half years that is a tremendous number of new design bikes to put on the road by a company whose motorcycle history was with light weight off road dirt bikes in the 1970's. The Dealer network is made up of Recreational Vehicle Dealers for the most part and not Motorcycle Shops. There is a different mindset between the two. Things are getting much better in both the reliability of the vehicles and the mechanics working on them as time goes by.

The decision is always yours but I as well as thousands of others are having a very good time with their bikes but I also read this Forum to see if any issues that develop may affect my Spyder as well.
    You cannot take for granted that you will be a pioneer of sorts and have to be ok with that.

I rode Harley Davidson's for 30 years or so and had bikes break down, had dealer issues, spent a ton of money on upgrades I did not need etc. That's Motorcycling I loved my HD's and now I love my Spyder!

Good luck ride safe and have fun!

Spyder Garage

Default 7200+ miles since 2/1/2011 and happily counting!

I love my ! I have had some issues, but all have been VERY quickly handled under warranty by a dealer that I did not even buy the from. I wake up in the morning and the FIRST thing I think is 'Its time for a ryde!'. I ride it as much as possible.

I live in Cincinnati and am going to Lansing, MI on Saturday for 'LUNCH'! Did I mention 'I love my !'?
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

I consider myself not a new rider anymore, been ryding for over 2 years now

Had a RS first, had 1200 miles on it "trouble free". Have had my RT-S now since Dec. 09 with almost 9000 miles, also trouble free I know, have not done any long distance ryding this year, wait until next year, we have plans to do some traveling, that is if G-Man's job does not interfere!

CowTown USA is the best, no matter what happens, they always get me back on the road again.

Get all your updates and service done!
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

We have over 11,000 very happy miles on our Spyder. We completed a 4,600 mile trip to Glacier National Park, pulling the trailer, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. More comfortable than any motorcycle I've ever ridden.

We had a breakdown in West Glacier. Road service towed us to the nearest dealer, 35 miles away, and 5 days later we were on the road again, happy as can be. The dealer in Kalispell was wonderful (Jasco Marine), ordered the parts overnight, got the OK from BRP to replace more than was needed simply to expedite the repair process. They did everything they possibly could to help us out.

Motorcycles are not as dependable as cars. Don't expect them to be. But with a good dealer behind you, and the incredible resource and knowledge available right here, most problems get resolved quickly. I would do it again!
    Dan