Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default louder muffler that uses original header pipe ?

I was wondering if there is a louder muffler I can buy that will inter change with stock muffler ? Do not want to change header pipe as I am not very good with the wrenches . BMAC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm using a Two Brothers Racing Muffler. Loud but not too loud. EZ install. There are a few other brands out there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question... Why would you want to make the bike louder?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I like a glass pack sound compared to a stock muffler.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Loud pipes save lives! And ya git more power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Uhhh... okay. Just my personal opinion; but don't glasspacks burn out over time and need rebuilding? I'm a lazy bugger, so I opt for less maintenance.

Spyder Garage

Default Muffler

I bought mine from spyder1attitude.com he uses a glass pack easy install sounds nice but I did changr the tip that came with it.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    loud pipes lose rights.,
    And just adding pipes won't get you more power, There are a few other things you'll also need.
    But if you just want noise take a ice pick and punch a few holes in the stock muffler.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Hogwash on both accounts, bit if it makes you feel good, we probably couldn't stop you if we tried. Loud clothes are the only proven life saver. Loud pipes just lose us rights.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It all comes down to the Bigger Picture...
    Let's say that 10 percent of the population loves to ride motorcycles, and another 10 percent absolutely HATES them... That leaves 80 percent in the middle who don't really care one way or another...
    Then... you go blasting by one of them with your loud pipes rattling their eyeballs...
    Congratulations! You just added another person to the "Hates them" list...
    We need to keep the majority of the public at least neutral regarding our rights if we want to keep enjoying them...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I live in Inverness, FL. We have lots of 80 & 90 year old drivers, really!!! They should have stopped driving years ago but I guess they don't know the meaning of "enough is enough"! Add all the texting and cell phone talking drivers! I have a yellow with fog lights, HID lights, and a Hindle, and sometimes still feel like a target. To me it's another safety factor. Loud pipes do save lives. My $.02 worth!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Loud Exhaust

Loud exhaust is a personal preference, love it or hate it, the debate on whether or not they save lives can be fought from both sides. I have always loved the sound of a finely tuned bike that rumbles down the road and have never minded it even before I started riding. No one should be made to feel wrong for their choice of a pipe, loud or not. It is simply a personal preference. I like gizzards and my wife does not. That is a personal preference. I still eat them, and she still does not.
    If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    I like gizzards and my wife does not. That is a personal preference. I still eat them, and she still does not.
    I generally try to stay out of these arguments because most people aren't gonna change their minds anyway but I just have to say something here. It seems to me that the whole point of the matter is just the opposite of what you said. The point is that I can choose to have a loud muffler but others CAN'T choose not to hear it. It doesn't make sense to deliberately alienate people and I don't believe loud pipes save lives. In fact, they may do just the opposite. If you sometimes feel like you have a target on your back, and we all do at times, loud pipes just make the target more appealing. And what effect does the loss of hearing caused by loud pipes have on your safety?

All that having been said, nothing in the world sounds better than a Harley with mild pipes rumbling at idle unless it's the same bike coming down the highway past my house at 60 - 70 MPH. Note that I said mild pipes not ear-shattering, glass breaking, citizen alienating straight pipes.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well put Cotton!

Spyder Garage

One Thing that remains the same is we're all different. I have a two bros. muffler on my RT and I think it sounds good, but I don't mind if you don't want one on yours. I don't even mind if you don't want to ride with me. I just don't understand why you feel a need to run other people down because their not like you !
    Last edited by harleyRick; 08-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Not running anybody down... just pointing out that actions and decisions can have unintended consequences...
    If you like a loud bike or a throatier roar from your pipes; that's your choice. But if it turns people off and ends up hurting ALL motorcyclists by restricting our rights to ride in certain areas or ends up having the LEOs taking a closer look at all of us; is that what you really wanted to have happen?
    I had a great snowmobile once; A Polaris XCR 440 that we built for battle: 520cc bored, stroked, piped and ported. Twin PSI pipes on it that really woke it up at 5800 repm...like getting hit by a truck from behind!
    I took the pipes off after a "spirited" ride in the woods and I came across a couple of sledders parked along the trail. They said that they could hear me for over ten minutes coming toward them...
    if it ticked off other riders, then it wasn't good for the sport or snowmobilers' reputations as a whole...
    The same goes for bikes...
    JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRalph View Post
    I live in Inverness, FL. We have lots of 80 & 90 year old drivers, really!!! They should have stopped driving years ago but I guess they don't know the meaning of "enough is enough"! Add all the texting and cell phone talking drivers! I have a yellow with fog lights, HID lights, and a Hindle, and sometimes still feel like a target. To me it's another safety factor. Loud pipes do save lives. My $.02 worth!!!
    Are you telling me that those 80 & 90 year olds hear you. Yeah right
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Loud....

My RS is bog standard.....but sometimes when going through twisties that involve gear changes I would love to have the burble just a bit louder so I can hear it over the windnoise. Thats far enough fer me.

It should be understood that it is not up to us to determine the maximum driving age....would you deprive Sir Stirling Moss or Sir John Surtees of their licences....Google their names if'n you say "Who?"

One could argue that older folk may panic quicker due to an overloud exhaust right next to them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WTF!!!!
    How about you just answer the mans question and keep your opinions to yourself
    BMAC if you ride the RT Two brothers will work as a slip on muffler. Many SL riders seem to like it. Search pipe or exhaust or just shoot Lamont a PM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harleyRick View Post
    One Thing that remains the same is we're all different. I have a two bros. muffler on my RT and I think it sounds good, but I don't mind if you don't want one on yours. I don't even mind if you don't want to ride with me. I just don't understand why you feel a need to run other people down because their not like you !
    ++1...this is why I no longer contribute/visit this site very often anymore.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

]Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    WTF!!!!
    How about you just answer the mans question and keep your opinions to yourself
    BMAC if you ride the RT Two brothers will work as a slip on muffler. Many SL riders seem to like it. Search pipe or exhaust or just shoot Lamont a PM

++1...this is why I no longer contribute/visit this site very often anymore.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

]Happy Spyder Owner

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I was wondering if there is a louder muffler I can buy that will inter change with stock muffler ? Do not want to change header pipe as I am not very good with the wrenches . BMAC
    BMAC
    I have a Two Bros exhaust on my RT. Anyone with moderate wrenching skills could easily do it in under an hour. And that is with a coffee break.

As for louder exhaust. We need to clarify something here. A debate has opened up in the posts above about louder exhaust, rights, safety etc. What seems to be lost on everyone is that a good aftermarket exhaust like the Two Bros is nowhere near comparable to a couple of straight pipes hanging off of the Harley of your choice. Personally, I like the rumble my exhaust gives on low end and it is not too loud at cruising speed either. Louder than factory? Heck yes. It better be. That is why I bought it. The debate over loud pipes as it relates to your question is overkill here. And honestly, as I mentioned, a moot point because a quality aftermarket exhaust for your spyder is not going to be straight pipe loud unless you gut the catalytic and run a straight pipe.

To use Scotty's phrase (and believe me. I highly respect Scotty's opinions) but the debate above is Hogwash as it relates to your original question.

So in summary and to the actual point of your post. I have installed a Two Bros on my RT. Love the sound, and if you can turn a wrench, you can easily do the install, or a dealer can knock it out in less than 30 min, but may charge a flat rate of one hour. No way in Hades it should cost more than one hour labor.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-26-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LOUDER MUFFLER

STEVE MAC
    You are right I do not want a straight pipe . I wanted a muffler that is more like a glass pack on a car compared to a stock muffler . I guess I should have said that at first but didnt think about anyone thinking of a straight pipe because I did say I was looking for a muffler. Anyway thanks to every one for there input I think I know what I am going to do . I really enjoy reading on this forum it gives me Ideas on what I want to do to my SPYDER RT. THANKS BMAC

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't like a LOUD muffler... but... would like a little more sound ...

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Send a PM

Bmac,
    Why don't you send Spyderann01 a PM and ask her opinion. Joe put a Two Brothers on her '14 RT at Spyderfest and it sounded nice to me and I hate loud pipes. She has since logged a lot of miles with it. Most important, she is technically savvy and a very gracious lady. You can tell her I said so.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S