Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW -

Glad you are able to be with your loved ones- those first hugs will always be in your memory. Whatever decisions you make about your future riding remember time gives perspective. I had a life threatening health event almost four years ago. I have gone from afraid of/for my own life (and not living because of it) to a Spyder owner. My friends think I am NUTS! Just today as I was leaving a friends house, as i put on my mesh jacket with pads she remarked that it was too hot out for that ...I have aways been a full faced and jacket rider. Your story has reminded me it is time to add pants to my gear! Better jacket also.
    Glad your external injuries will heal soon - here is to your health!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The information and detail that you have provided about your accident is incredibly valuable. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel that it will help many riders with safe riding gear as well as how we all carry and strap stuff on. Very thankful you are doing OK. Thanks again!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wild ride. Really glad you are mostly okay. They say everything happens for a reason. I was just looking at the pics of your gloves and, though they are somewhat the worse for wear, just imagine what your hands would look like without them. The reason that I was interested in the gloves in particular was that I rode about 75 miles this afternoon without mine. My mind was on other things and I just flat forgot them. Was about 5 miles away from home when my wife reminded me that I was bare handed. Didn't go back to get them but you can bet that next time I will. Thanks, and really glad you came through a bad situation with a minimum of injuries.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Atgatt

Anytime you can walk away from a bike prang is a minor miracle. The odds will always be against you. The wearing of the best gear you can afford is not negotiable. Wearing a rated full face helmet is a no brainer. In my experience ATGATT will not neccessarily prevent broken bones but what it does do is keep all your skin on your body. Broken bones heal a lot faster than skin grafts. If you are happy to have a flap from your buttocks attached to another part of your body then by all means ride around wearing a T shirt and shorts. If not ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. Period.
    Seriously glad that you walked away with everything intact except your gear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OMG what a ride, no pun intended. I'm glad that you are ok. Sounds like God isn't done with you yet. I just shake my head when others laugh at me dressing out in full gear for rides. I would rather be a little warm then possibly dead. People trying to help, can do real damage by removing your helmet after a crash/skid. The first thing their brain tells them to do is "get the helmet off", ugh. Cagers don't realize how tight that helmet fits (a real helmet). I have large orange stickers on the front of all my helmets that say "Do not remove if breathing, helmet must be removed by medical personnel only to prevent further injuries". I got mine from a motorcycle injury lawyer, he gives stuff out all the time (he rides a bike all the time). I think I've seen the stickers at shows with all the other sayings. You can probably get them on line also. I consider the sticker part of my riding gear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I first started reading your post of this accident; I also wondered if the belt was the cause... While it doesn't take away the damage or injuries, at least the initial analysis points to this not being a fialure of the Spyder itslef... A small consolation nonetheless! I'm glad to hear that you are pretty much okay and will heal up just fine! Now go hug your family!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are okay - will keep you oin my prayers for a speedy recovery and a return to ryding.

Spyder Garage

Default locked up rear wheel

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago on my C14 - camping gear slipped off the back onto the wheel which pulled it into the swingarm, locking up the wheel. Fishtailed for a bit b4 falling and breaking a leg and some plastic - 4 months off work. I too, was wearing full riding gear - but it don't protect everything!
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

My heart was pounding while I read your story. I am very happy you are OK. You have taught us all some very valuable lessons. To dress with protection and check, double check and triple check anything that is attached, strapped and fastened to the Spyder. Take nothing for granted. Best of luck to you and I am grateful your family has you today.

Spydii917

Glad to hear that you are okay!

One thing my grandfather always tells me when I ride is that he loves to see me with all my gear on. His line is, "You can grow skin back, but if you mess up your melon it is forever." I would agree with that! The odds of someone fully recovering or recovering at all from a brain injury due to lack of a helmet is very low.

See, in Iowa and Illinois there is no law that make it manditory to wear a helmet. The states have tried to to pass the laws needed to enforce it but have been met with strong enough opposition that they fold when it comes to a vote. People claim it is there right to choose. Silly if you ask me. My comment to them is, is it the EMT, Law Enforcement, and Fire Departments choice to come to an accident and see a person who has passed away from head trama but could have been easily saved if they had only worn a Helmet. I have friends that fill all 3 of those positions and they have said that it is hard as well as frustrating.

People are welcome to blow smoke at me all they want about them being or looking silly. I dont care... I am wearing mine anyway. Just my 2 cents!

Once again I am glad you are okay and that it was not more serious! I pray that you have a fast recovery! The Spyder can be replaced, you cannot!

Take care!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow...what a story. So happy to hear you're ok man..
    Take care of yourself.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbe twit question.....

ATGATT........I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that acronym....the only thing I can think of is what my dad used to insist upon....All the gear all the time....Am I anywhere near correct...?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    ATGATT........I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that acronym....the only thing I can think of is what my dad used to insist upon....All the gear all the time....Am I anywhere near correct...?
    Perfect!
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

it is not a matter of IF you will go down while riding... it is a matter of WHEN. it is the cost of this type of freedom and transportation. just a fact of life...

Shelby (my Wife) and I rolled up on a bike accident last year; while coming acorss one of the mountain runs in our area. two bikes, one rider down. the trailer of a truck had ran her off the road; while passing the two bikes.

as we came past the accident, I could see the rider being walked around by cage drivers... and she was pretty rocky. we stopped and I went over and put her back down on the ground, to flattent her out and imobilze her. a well intended do-gooder, wanted to pull her helmet off to check her for head injuries. NOT !!!!

as a retired cop, and having worked a few BAD bike accidents in my career.. I knew this was a bad move. so I stopped the guy from doing it; and locked her helmet between my knees, until EMS arrived; and simply talked to her, and keep her focused. what really disturbed me was, when this particular EMS unit arrived; one EMT wasn't sure how to remove a helmet!!!

in 44 yrs. of riding, I have gone down 9 times and gotten busted up BAD... once. my GEAR is, what minimized the damage and injuries to me. after working the German Autobahn and Italian Autostrada... I refused to ride without a helmet. I ALWAYS ride in jeans and hightop boots, ALWAYS wear full fingered gloves, and ALWAYS wear a DOT helmet (no novelty brain bucket); with at least a vest or jacket. while it is MY personal preference... this story brings home the risk that riders who wear NOTING but shorts, sneakers, flip flops or muscle shirts.

it is MUCh easier to sweat through skin... than it is, through SCAR TISSUE. riding a Spyder may give SOME people a very false sense of security, about bike riding. while you ARE less likely to drop the bike; you can STILL come off of it. and the launch velocity of an accident IS PHENOMINAL!!! and the landing really sucks...

ride and dress prudently. a few minutes of inconvenience is worth much more... than a lifetime fo misery. I am just glad to hear that this was posted by the RIDER... and not a Friend or Family member.

ya got lucky Bro !!! the expression "ride safe..." is not without basis.
    Last edited by SpydeRider2010; 08-22-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to echo what has already been said.... I am very glad to hear you are okay and that the gear you were wearing saved you from major injury or death. I slid my Ninja off the road through a barbed wire fence and down a ravine and my gear saved my hide.

Ride safe my friends.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question

Just wondering how you're getting along, your healing process;
    any news from the insurance co. about the Phantom, possibly a new ryde in your future????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2nd post updated with current status

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    The point of my posting is to let you guys know it's okay to wear full gear. Even if your family and friends make fun of you. Even if you ride a spyder which is a bit safer than a bike at times. Even if people tell you it's too hot outside for gear or you're taking a trip around the corner.

My full gear saved my life. I can kiss my wife and 7 year old daughter tonight because of my gear.

Anyway.. Let me get some pix up here asap. This thread is no fun without pix
    YES ATGATT

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Explorer53525's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for pointing out the update. So glad you are alive, so sorry so many challenges to your family. I know I have gotten lax about wearing my gloves, but haven't forgotten once since reading about your accident. Thanks for sharing your story to educate us all.
    Heal fast!
    Greta Guth

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

2nd post updated with current status
    If this was fiction it would be on the best seller list...unfortunately it is a true story. You have a great way with words, though. It is obvious that your sense of humor remains intact. I think the rest will heal. Thanks for the update.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Thank God you are more or less OK. Wondering if I could get some info from those of you who are in the know. Is wearing Chaps helpfull in an accident? I have those and a Can Am Jacket I try to wear all the time. Sometimes this is just too hot( too many hot flashes don't help the situation either). but since your post about the accident and another one almost with in a week, I think, I have come to the conclusion I can sweat!!!! But hope the chaps work ok. The Can Am pants aren't really very heavy as is the jacket,neither seem like they could withstand a accident. Just hope they can I guess.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    Thank God you are more or less OK. Wondering if I could get some info from those of you who are in the know. Is wearing Chaps helpfull in an accident? I have those and a Can Am Jacket I try to wear all the time. Sometimes this is just too hot( too many hot flashes don't help the situation either). but since your post about the accident and another one almost with in a week, I think, I have come to the conclusion I can sweat!!!! But hope the chaps work ok. The Can Am pants aren't really very heavy as is the jacket,neither seem like they could withstand a accident. Just hope they can I guess.
    Leather chaps won't save the skin on your butt, and probably not your hips, but they might save your knees from some road rash. Most are not armored and many are not padded, so they won't prevent many bruises. The safest gear is always full, armored pants, that fit properly. The mesh overpants work well (from what victims have related) and they are much cooler than solifd textile or leather pants...or even chaps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

From watching youtube videos of guys doing stunts on street bikes on the highway I always noticed they wore gear to protect them from sliding if they fell off. And that is how I dressed.

Talking to my rider coach and watching other videos people pretty much said the following:

Full face helmet (that is what saves your life)
    Coat with elbow and shoulder pads. Those are the parts on your body that get dragged along
    Gloves with knuckle protectors. Your knuckles will drag and get ripped up.
    Pants with knee protection because your knees will drag along.
    Boots that cover the ankle because your feet will snap around.

My gear won't protect me from broken bones and impact injury (hips, rips, lower back, etc).
    My gear was to protect my head and protect my skin

I happened to luck out that I didnt break my back or shatter my pelvis.
    I'm not sure how leather holds up vs synthetics

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

From watching youtube videos of guys doing stunts on street bikes on the highway I always noticed they wore gear to protect them from sliding if they fell off. And that is how I dressed.

Talking to my rider coach and watching other videos people pretty much said the following:

Full face helmet (that is what saves your life)
    Coat with elbow and shoulder pads. Those are the parts on your body that get dragged along
    Gloves with knuckle protectors. Your knuckles will drag and get ripped up.
    Pants with knee protection because your knees will drag along.
    Boots that cover the ankle because your feet will snap around.

My gear won't protect me from broken bones and impact injury (hips, rips, lower back, etc).
    My gear was to protect my head and protect my skin

I happened to luck out that I didnt break my back or shatter my pelvis.
    I'm not sure how leather holds up vs synthetics
    Leather holds up far better than synthetics. That is why is is required by most racing sanctioning bodies. I have gone down more than once at over 150, with no significant damage, ecept to my leathers. Textiles are adequate for the street, though. Good summary...the only thing I would add is hip armor. I have been injured without it, and barely bruised with it. Racers will add spine protectors, but that's a little radical for the street, although good textile gear will have some spine padding or armor. Don't forget that the helmet needs to fit properly!
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-25-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I will admit that I did not read all the posts, but I am glad you are going to be ok. The Spyder is just a bike and can be replaced. In your early posts you said your wife was happy that you were alive and she realized what you meant to her. You should also tell her you are happy to be alive and what she means to you! Again I am happy that you made it out of this one, I have had other friends in full gear not be so lucky.