Spyder Garage

Default My first oil change..

Accomplished my first oil change, but did not set any time records.. 6 Hours total, with short breaks and lunch. Took the panels off, since I had to replace one of the rubber grommets that got eaten by the Spyder gremlin, the last time I had removed them. No big issues, whoever the tech was that did my 600, must have been a gorilla, and didn't use a torque wrench, so breaking loose the drain plugs took awhile. My only complaint is I wish BRP would decide which type of drive to use.. Star or Hex.. The oil reservoir was hex, the engine was star. Almost stripped the star.. I also have the seal running boards, which I did not remove, but next time I will. They definitely got in the way of moving the brace and removing the transmission filter. Was also going to install the heat shields, but just ran out of steam.. Another day ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Default Practice..!!

Next time will be a breeze.. You conquered the start of doing your own work. Soon you will venture out to bigger and better jobs... Congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There's been a lot of talk about the star/hex drain plugs. Some people have had them strip or break. Do yourself a favor and get some gold plugs and replace them at the next oil change. They have a stronger magnet and, in 3 years, all I have ever done is tighten them down when done. No torque wrench or leaks.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Default Grommets -- be careful not to push them out.....

I had a grommet fall out (luckily in my garage). I now cable tie everyone I see when pulling panels off. That way, they will at least stay there if they get pushed out, but I think they may stay better as well. Just a small nylon cable tie works -- passing this on as I had seen it earlier somewhere in the spyderlovers forum....good luck. I will attempt the next oil change as well.....
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac