Spyder Garage

Default Riser Question ( For those who have installed risers on their RS )

I was wondering if anyone that has installed risers on their spyder, regretted doing so ?
    I know the risers put you in a more upright riding position. Did this make the spyder handle easier, harder ??
    How about wind, did you have to go to a bigger windshield?
    I just purchased a 2011 RS-S and was thinking of risers for more comfort.
    Thanks in advance for replys and ride on.

Spyder Garage

I put the 4" risers on and I love it. My wrists feel alot better, I'm not putting as much pressure on them. Plus the back doesn't hurt anymore riding her. Before, I would ride it about 20 min. and my lower back would start to hurt. Now that I said that, I am 59. So if you are young and like the position of the bars thats different. The wind seems to be the same and so is the handling. I did put a robo-bracket system on with the 20" windsheild to take some of the wind off the chest but I see well over the sheild with no bobbing of the head. The system lets you adjust the sheild so you can adjust the wind flow. I love it.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill1963 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone that has installed risers on their spyder, regretted doing so ?
    I know the risers put you in a more upright riding position. Did this make the spyder handle easier, harder ??

I went with 3 inch risers, in retrospect i should have gone with 4 inch, The risers took the pressure off my wrists and made for a more relaxed ride.
    And it also made the handling [steering] more precise.
    With the windshield i used a Evo 111 Great for winter riding, But those tall windshields will cut your MPG on the highway by 3 or 4 MPG.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ/johnnyg View Post
    I put the 4" risers on and I love it. My wrists feel alot better, I'm not putting as much pressure on them. Plus the back doesn't hurt anymore riding her. Before, I would ride it about 20 min. and my lower back would start to hurt. Now that I said that, I am 59. So if you are young and like the position of the bars thats different. The wind seems to be the same and so is the handling. I did put a robo-bracket system on with the 20" windsheild to take some of the wind off the chest but I see well over the sheild with no bobbing of the head. The system lets you adjust the sheild so you can adjust the wind flow. I love it.
    Thanks CJ, i was wondering about the wind in chest, my last bike was terrible and my head got buffeted so much it affect my vision. Not so, so far with the spyder. I image risers with be a very soon addition.
    PS Love the Picture of Bridal Falls, very cool.
    Last edited by MrBill1963; 08-15-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: addition of coment

Spyder Garage

I may be the poster child for a riser install nightmare here (search my threads for the Easy Risers one). I caution that my experience is VERY atypical compared to the others on the forum, I'm certainly an outlier. That said, the install has been a costly and time-consuming headache for me.

As for the riding experience, I only got to ride a few miles (to the shop) with my risers on, so the full verdict is out. I like them for the seating position-- my wrists and back didn't mind the stock seating position, but it was murder on my hips, butt and knees after 50+ miles, and the risers definitely seem like they will solve that. BUT, it's definitely not a sporty seating position, which in the brief time I rode made me worry that I lost some of that intangible "fun" factor that the RS has over the RT.

I'm hoping against hope I get my Spyder back this week, however, and I'll be able to give the full judgment then.

P.S. Another vote for the Madstad windshield... takes a few adjustments to hit the sweet spot, but once you do, it may be the best windshield out there.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I have just put on 4 inch risers on Friday...well, service tech did it for me and at the same time I added Calsi 25 inch winshield (6 foot tall and mid 30's for ref). Wow, what a big difference risers make on overall riding experience. I can ride with comfort for longer distance and it feels like a natural position! Windshield is helping quite a bit as well but I am too tall so I am still getting beat up just a bit but not as bad as before.

As many people suggested to me when I bought my 11 RSS, get risers on ASAP and enjoy the ride!!

Spyder Garage

the risers are the best thing i put on and love them,i got the 4.5 esi easy risers and it handles a lot better i think.so i dont think you can go rong just do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Risers are the #1 mod for the GS/RS in my opinion. They improve not only the seating/riding position, the handling is also improved by the change in position.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I also put on the 4.5" easy raisrs and love them, also my dealer gave me the ultra touring windshield as part of the sale,only wish it was adjustable like the RT. The ride is much better,I can sit up and enjoy the view.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed KewlMetal adjustable risers. I took them nearly to their max and just love em. Handling, cornering , etc., much improved. Great investment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

I love mine!! Got the 4 in ESI risers. I had a hard time putting them on (tools failing and frustration on my part... hee hee), but I don't regret it!!!

I wish I had gotten the mirror extensions at the same time, though. I was looking at my fists for a couple of weeks.... Got those on, and still loving it!!!!

Spyder Garage

I went with the Kewlmetal Center console and handlebars which are probably similar in reach reduction to a 3" dogbone riser like the ESI's...

Took a week or so to get used to them, but now I can't imagine how I rode without them. Completely eliminated wrist pains after long rides.

My wife got the 7" handlebars and isn't that happy with them... says she's sitting up too high in the wind. she's got a 23" Ultra touring on a madstat bracket adjusted all the way up and nearly vertical and it's still not enough. She likes to ride in a bubble. I'm sure once we swap them for a 5" bar she'll be fine.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the replys

I would like to say thanks for all the replies. They were as i expected, no complaints on risers.
    Looks like risers in my near future.
    Thanks again

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I just put the 1" BRP riser and love it!! So far so good.. I also have the 23 inch shield which I like for long trips and cooler days. I'm 5'6" and have no issues with the riser. At the same time I keep the sleek sporty look of the 11 RSS

It's more of a personal preference.

Spyder Garage

PROS and CONS

I have the 2008 later edition RS SM5 model and added the after-market 4" risers just about 6 months ago. I bought the risers 1-1/2 years ago...but like you was very hesitant because it meant doing some things to the orignal handlebars...

CONS
    Removing the anti-vibration lugs and cutting the a small section of the handle bars off to fit the new ones on. Also, if you buy the after market type, your insurance company might not warranty the machine so be careful with that too. The Anti vibration lugs fit in the orginal handlebar (1" diameter tube) but the new riser handlebar tube is 7/8" diameter and the lugs don't fit no more.

PROS
    I love the feel of the risers, no wrist problems, no leaning forward over the handlebars. You can sit and actually lean back and enjoy the ride. The handling around corners on the freeways at 65...70...and 80 mph is smooth. On the roadways...turning is less difficult and easier to turn then before at 25-30 mph. In the wind, you can still lean forward to block the wind behind your touring window...but there is no effect whatsoever in the way the machine handles with the new addition 4" risers. I haope that helps.

Clutch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dentin028 View Post
    I just put the 1" BRP riser and love it!! So far so good.. I also have the 23 inch shield which I like for long trips and cooler days. I'm 5'6" and have no issues with the riser. At the same time I keep the sleek sporty look of the 11 RSS

It's more of a personal preference.
    Love your spyder, Dentin....looks alot like mine, no wait......looks exactly like mine!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    PROS and CONS

CONS
    Removing the anti-vibration lugs and cutting the a small section of the handle bars off to fit the new ones on. Also, if you buy the after market type, your insurance company might not warranty the machine so be careful with that too. The Anti vibration lugs fit in the orginal handlebar (1" diameter tube) but the new riser handlebar tube is 7/8" diameter and the lugs don't fit no more.

Clutch
    The handle bars on Spyders have always been 7/8 inch, it's possible the I.D. of the new tube is smaller, but I had no problem putting the stock caps on them when I put my risers on.

john

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The handle bars on Spyders have always been 7/8 inch, it's possible the I.D. of the new tube is smaller, but I had no problem putting the stock caps on them when I put my risers on.

john
    Went right on like they were made for it.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Love your spyder, Dentin....looks alot like mine, no wait......looks exactly like mine!
    Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2" (all legs and short arms). I added the 1" BRP riser last Friday and did a 750 mile trip from PA to SC (hilton head) non-stop. That silly 1" riser saved my butt!!

It was just enough to pull the bars up to make the reach bearable for the trip and still keeps the looks of my 09 Phantom. I can still get down low and zip around or sit up and cruise when I need to.

Besides the 1" riser I was also able to tilt the bar towards me as well. I had to purchased some longer bolts to get the handlebar cover to fit correctly after that but rolling the bars towards me helped a bit.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I installed KewlMetal adjustable risers. I took them nearly to their max and just love em. Handling, cornering , etc., much improved. Great investment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also went with the Kewlmetal adjustable bars and consider them to be one of the best mods I have done on the Spyder. With 3 axis of adjustment you aren't stuck with one configuration and they are easy and quick to make adjustments. I have mine swiveled back and brought the bars in closer to my body and have no more issues with wrist and hand numbness and I sit up much straighter. I think the handling is much improved also and as far as the windshield I already had an adjustable one on the Spyder.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Do the risers-- you won't be disappointed. I tried the 1" BRP one first-- not worth it--- then added the ESI 3" risers in black and LOVE THEM.

Makes it easier to steer, less pressure on wrists, etc...

And since they are adjustable - you can play with them until they fit you. Want a more sporty ride--- no problem-- just adjust them.

I did end up with a larger windshield (Chad) to help with the wind--- but it will drop your MPG a bit.

Pertaining to more head buffeting from sitting more upright --- yes I initially had this--- but much of that was due to my choice in helmet. Now have a few different helmets that cut thru the wind just great!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know the tendency is to go the the biggest riser but keep in mind how tall you are! I'm 5'3" and have a two inch riser which is just perfect for me. If your 6'2" you really will needto get a taller riser just to get the same effect.