Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting Problem

Today we rode up from DC to Philly to get our new 2010 Spyder RS at a good price. Problem is, half way back when we stopped for a snack, it didn't want to come out of that funky 'check your safety list' mode. Took about 10 minutes and 50 tries to get started. When we got back to DC after the wet ride, I wiped it off and tried to start it. Same thing.

Called back to the dealer in Philly, and he said sometimes they are finicky about this - but not usually 10 minutes worth. Other than ride it back to Philly, he suggested taking it to the local dealer (being 1 day old and all - hopefully they will help).

Has anyone had trouble with this? Is there anything we can do (some nuance to the procedure)?

Spyder Garage

Ucfnurse, I own a 2009 sm5 and I've never has this issue. You didn't mention it, but I assume you pressed the "M" button on the console each time. My experience is that they are not finicky on this issue.
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Spyder Garage

If you are not using the "Mode" switch on the front of the left handlebar control, try that. The dash switches often stick and are difficult to press hard enough with gloves on. Remember that you cannot hit the "Mode" switch until the message appears.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Interesting. It appears on mine, the M button clears the message, but does not put it in start mode. However, the Mode switch works every time. The dealer said use either one, but only the Mode switch enables the starter on my bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting Problems

We had the same problem.. We bought a new 2010 RS-S in TN. We trailer it to Helen, Ga. My wife took to the gas station and call it wouldn't start. Finally it started and rode it back to the hotel. It started the next day we rode it about 10 miles and stopped it. We were able to started it after several tries and rode it back to the hotel. The next day it would not start, so we pushed it to the trailer and returned to Florida. We took it straight to the dealer. They had it for two days, no problem. Try pushing the mode button several times after the message comes across the screen, it should start.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pay attention to the above post from NancysToy. Make sure your turn on the key and wait for the words to scroll across the screen. I have found that it you hit the mode button to quick before the computer has time to boot the bike won't start. Now that I wait for the screen to scroll and use the mode button on the handle bars the bike starts consistently.

Spyder Garage

ucfnurse, if you don't mind me asking, which dealer in Philly did you buy from?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dealer

Bought the RS from East Coast Cycle Center in Bensalem, PA (about 20 minutes north of downtown). Their price was good and they were very friendly. However, aside from some funky information about 'you can use either button' that may have been due to differences between individual units - after installing the Helibar risers my husband determined the oil was just over a quart low, the rear tire had 22 lbs instead of 28, and the coolant was low. So they could have done a little better at preparing the Spyder. Overall, I'm just thrilled with the whole thing.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ucfnurse View Post
    Bought the RS from East Coast Cycle Center in Bensalem, PA (about 20 minutes north of downtown). Their price was good and they were very friendly. However, aside from some funky information about 'you can use either button' that may have been due to differences between individual units - after installing the Helibar risers my husband determined the oil was just over a quart low, the rear tire had 22 lbs instead of 28, and the coolant was low. So they could have done a little better at preparing the Spyder. Overall, I'm just thrilled with the whole thing.

I've always used the mode button on the left handlebar never trusted the button on the dash. Also are you sure your husband checked the oil ''by the book'',
    Because if he checked like you would most vehicles you weren't a quart low.?,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oil

I asked him - he read the owners manual - let the bike warm up, then set for a minute or so, then checked the dipstick screwing it all the way in. Initially, no oil showed on the stick at all. After adding just over a quart - it was to the full line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ucfnurse View Post
    Congrats on your purchase! I too bought from East Coast, found a great deal through Cycle Trader (MUCH better than what the local VA and MD dealers could quote me).

Downside was big, however: the moment I agreed to that great deal, the heretofore friendly & helpful salesman turned pscyho pusher. He spent the next week trying to get me to buy their warranty (I don't live in PA), options (I only wanted a power outlet), and worst of all, their financing (even after I told them I had a better rate from my credit union, they STILL pushed their loan on me-- and gave me heck when I tried to use my CU's purchase process).

Then they had the nerve to force me to sign the contract *before* I took it out for a test ride, leading to this unforgettable conversation:

"You want to ride it? Why?"
    "Ummm, gee, I dunno... I'm giving you nearly $15,000 for it, that's why?"
    "But you said you know how the Spyder rides."
    "I do, an RT, but not an RS, and not *this* RS. You know, the one I'm giving you $15,000 for."
    "If you want, you can ride this Phantom over here."
    "And if I was buying that bike instead of the bike I'm buying, that would make sense, wouldn't it?"

I eventually gave in and said to heck with it and just bought the dang bike (I at least had them turn the thing on, and run through all the switches and stuff to make sure it all worked).

Still, I admit, I was nervous as heck waiting a week for it to get delivered (I used a third-party shipper). When I got it off the trailer into my driveway and everything worked, life was finally good.

I just don't understand dealers. Well, okay I *do*-- they make money on the extras and through their service center, two things this out-of-state buyer wasn't interested in-- but at the end of the day, I'm giving them thousands of thousands of dollars in honestly the EASIEST sale they've ever made... sigh.

Anyway... I still can't complain about the price
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!