GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ACS Rear Suspension Adjustment Mode

I have the RTS-SE5 when I went to adjust the rear suspension the suspension settings is not showing up in the mode. In the suspension mode now it show orange with the word manual in it. I have adjusted the suspension before and had the setting bars but had not done an adjustment since I had a new cluster installed due to CB problems. Could it be they put in the wrong cluster???

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

You need to see your dealer and have the ACS warranty campaign bulletin performed. The high and low ACS limits were mistakenly programmed to the same value. Did you have your cluster replaced? This is a known problem with the 2011 clusters. Even the new replacement clusters I received just this week had this problem, and needed to be reset.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty, Now to see if the dealer will know what I'm talking about. I wish BRP would require all their dealers to have trained techs on the .

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Thanks Scotty, Now to see if the dealer will know what I'm talking about. I wish BRP would require all their dealers to have trained techs on the .
    Your tech need to see Warranty Campaign bulletin #2011-006. I posted about it previously. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rvice-Bulletin. He can call BRP's dealer tech support if he needs more information. I was under the impression that all Spyder dealers were required to have a trained tech, but the training might be just by video, not the BRP tech school. That doesn't mean a dealer might not have some other Bozo work on the Spyders, though.

The deal with the ACS problem cropping back up, or appearing in a 2010 RTS if the cluster is changed to the 2011 cluster has snuck up on everybody. You can't really blame the tech for not noticing. I have notified BRP of the continuing problem.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-05-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When I took delivery of my RT I pointed out to my dealer that some liquid or other had run down the inside of my cluster display glass. It had solidified in streaks like varnish and when the light was in the right direction it looked a mess. I eventually had the whole cluster unit changed by my dealer under warranty at the 600 mile service.

It was about 2 weeks later before I tried to change the air spring adjustment and that's when it came up with the orange display and the word "manual". I figured this meant the suspension would adjust manually (doh!) using the hard-soft buttons but in raising or lowering it I had no reference to set it to. Anyway, it was back to the dealer and he made some sort of programming adjustment which put the display back to normal with the five hard-soft bar settings.

They were not able to make the new display show the 693 miles I had ridden previously, so my new display reads 693 miles less than my Spyder has actually travelled. Not that it matters in The Great Scheme of Things.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You need to see your dealer and have the ACS warranty campaign bulletin performed. The high and low ACS limits were mistakenly programmed to the same value. Did you have your cluster replaced? This is a known problem with the 2011 clusters. Even the new replacement clusters I received just this week had this problem, and needed to be reset.
    Scotty, can you tell me what service bulletin this is and maybe a PDF version that I can print out to give to my dealership? I think I have the problem of both the high and low limits set the same. When I first got my 2011 RT Limited the ACS sensor dogbone link was disconnected from the lower connection. This caused the rear suspension to go to into manual mode. Once in manual mode I could lower the suspension setting to a lower level. When this is adjusted I can physically notice the ride height change while riding. After the link was connected I no longer got the orange warning and didn't go into manual mode. However, I recently noticed that no matter what setting I use, soft to hard, that the ride height never changes. If I measure the height at the bottom of the rear mud flap it stays at 16 1/2" no matter what setting is used. This is with someone sitting in the driver seat, engine running, in neutral and parking brake on.

Just saw your edited post above. Do you have a link to the PDF version of 2011-006? Thanks.
    Last edited by Y Rider; 08-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

Try checking with the bike in gear and the parking brake off.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manoman14 View Post
    Try checking with the bike in gear and the parking brake off.
    That was it. When I put it in gear with the brake off it works correctly. Thanks.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Scotty, can you tell me what service bulletin this is and maybe a PDF version that I can print out to give to my dealership? I think I have the problem of both the high and low limits set the same. When I first got my 2011 RT Limited the ACS sensor dogbone link was disconnected from the lower connection. This caused the rear suspension to go to into manual mode. Once in manual mode I could lower the suspension setting to a lower level. When this is adjusted I can physically notice the ride height change while riding. After the link was connected I no longer got the orange warning and didn't go into manual mode. However, I recently noticed that no matter what setting I use, soft to hard, that the ride height never changes. If I measure the height at the bottom of the rear mud flap it stays at 16 1/2" no matter what setting is used. This is with someone sitting in the driver seat, engine running, in neutral and parking brake on.

Just saw your edited post above. Do you have a link to the PDF version of 2011-006? Thanks.
    I do not have a copy of Warranty Campaign 2011-006. I read it at my dealer. Yours should be able to pull it up on the computer.

Your problem sounds different. Are you sure the ride height never changes? My understanding is that the engine has to be running with the Spyder in gear. The 2010 was this way, but the 2011 may be different. Anyway, tell your dealer the ACS does not work, and let him take it from there. When you pick it up, have him demonstrate that it is fixed.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    I have the RTS-SE5 when I went to adjust the rear suspension the suspension settings is not showing up in the mode. In the suspension mode now it show orange with the word manual in it. I have adjusted the suspension before and had the setting bars but had not done an adjustment since I had a new cluster installed due to CB problems. Could it be they put in the wrong cluster???
    The rear air ride suspension was not working so my dealer performed the ACS software update and now the rear suspension works great. I have a 2010RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I do not have a copy of Warranty Campaign 2011-006. I read it at my dealer. Yours should be able to pull it up on the computer.

Your problem sounds different. Are you sure the ride height never changes? My understanding is that the engine has to be running with the Spyder in gear. The 2010 was this way, but the 2011 may be different. Anyway, tell your dealer the ACS does not work, and let him take it from there. When you pick it up, have him demonstrate that it is fixed.
    It was pilot error. I had the engine running but was not in gear. Once in gear with the parking brake off it works correctly. If I change the setting to hard the ride height will slowly but continously change until the setting is reached. However, once set to hard and I change to soft the ride height lowers but moves incrementally. I can hear short burts on air releasing as it approaches the soft setting. It much release air, take a reading then proceed until the final setting is reached.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Scotty may I ask you a question? I have the same problem as the other riders with the manual orange bar. While getting my oil change there was a RT being service ahead of me and I remember the Mec showing the owner the bars on the screen . I was not aware of the problem at that time. Wish he checked my bike at that time but he did not catch it but did adjust my belt alignment. Iit would have saved me a 70 mile trip one way. Not knowing for sure how the system works, do I need to set the air shocks to a pressure that is needed off the chart in the book for my riding situation first and that becomes the norm for the computer. I see that the computer will adjust the ride to mach the load. If I set the pressure with my compresor will the computer maintain that pressure? Latter if I manualy adjust the ride softer will it take that setting as norm. When I start the bike up after shutting it down will it stay at the lowered pressure? Help. Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    Scotty may I ask you a question? I have the same problem as the other riders with the manual orange bar. While getting my oil change there was a RT being service ahead of me and I remember the Mec showing the owner the bars on the screen . I was not aware of the problem at that time. Wish he checked my bike at that time but he did not catch it but did adjust my belt alignment. Iit would have saved me a 70 mile trip one way. Not knowing for sure how the system works, do I need to set the air shocks to a pressure that is needed off the chart in the book for my riding situation first and that becomes the norm for the computer. I see that the computer will adjust the ride to mach the load. If I set the pressure with my compresor will the computer maintain that pressure? Latter if I manualy adjust the ride softer will it take that setting as norm. When I start the bike up after shutting it down will it stay at the lowered pressure? Help. Bob
    If your Spyder is showing the manual bar, it will not self-adjust as it should. It will allow you to set the ride height manually, but that is all. Your dealer will have to perforn the procedure in Warranty Bulletin 2011-6 before it will work automatically. It should allow you to raise and lower it manually, mine did (at least near the middle of the gauge), but it will not read the height and adjust itself, as far as I remember.

I am surprised your Spyder did not show up as needing this fix on BUDS...or else your dealer neglected to hook up your Spyder when he had it in. If that is the case, there are probably other items in the maintenance schedule that were neglected. There is more to the periodic maintenance than just changing the oil.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!