Spyder Garage

Default LEDS - YOU CAN MAKE / BUILD YOUR OWN STUFF - FUN AND INTERESTING

Hi All;

Interested in LEDS but feel a little shy on the knowledge side, well read on. I just taught myself and it's a blast. I don't have specific training but to do small projects, you just need to want to.

FOR THOSE WITH KNOWLEDGE OR EDUCATION ALL COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED IF THEY ARE INSTRUCTIVE AND POLITE.

For the rest of us ----------------------Here we go -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First what you need:

Soldering iron -- small tip 1/8" flat or less or a pointy one (It has to be hot enough to melt the solder quickly, If not, you may need a more powerful unit) The GUN types are just fine, The ones with the trigger, they just need gentle handling.

Solder - Radio Shack or other electrical solder Get the small stuff (about as thick as the lead in a pencil) Rosin Core or not doesn't really matter

Small Sponge - You wet down the sponge with water and drag the irons tip every so often to clean it up - you'll catch on real quick.

Paste Flux - The paste flux is the easiest to use and easier to only use a very tiny bit. Plus it is intended for electronic use.

Different sizes of wire #18 -20-22-24 Stay away from solid core wire, the multi-strand is so much easier and flexible to use.

LEDS come generaly 3 sizes ---- 3mm - 5mm - 10mm - That just means the hole they can fit through. There are square ones, dome shaped ones and a number of uniquely shaped ones.

Resistors are needed to limit the Amperage entering the LED. It's all 12 Volts but too much FLOW( Amps ) and its a quick death for the LED.
    For a rule of thumb -- 470 ohm 1/4 Watt resistors are excellent. 2 types of resistors Metal Foil or Carbon Film -- The metal are tighter tolerances and more expensive while the Carbon are just fine, and less expensive. I bought 100ea. 470 ohm 1/4 Watt resistors for $2.95. ALWAYS BUY 100 AT A TIME THE SAVINGS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

NOTE: RESISTORS HAVE NO TOP OR BOTTOM - SOLDER EITHER END IT DOES NOT MATTER.

LEDS Red - Blue - Green - Amber - White - Multicolored - Violet - There are so many to choose from.

NOW WE GO TO SCHOOL - ALL LEDS HAVE A POSITIVE LEG AND A NEGATIVE LEG JUST LIKE A MOTORCYCLE BATTERY DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE "fLAT SPOT OR THE LONGER LEG TO TELL YOU WHICH ONE IS FOR THE GROUND (NEGATIVE -) OR WHICH IS THE POSITIVE (+) SOME MANUFACTURERS IGNORE THOSE NICETIES ANYWAY.

THIS IS THE SURE FIRE WAY --- LOOK AT THE LED THERE ARE 2 PADDLES INSIDE THE BIG ONE IS THE NEGATIVE (-) THE SMALL ONE IS THE POSITIVE (+)

THE BIG ONE IS THE NEGATIVE (-) THE SMALL ONE IS THE POSITIVE (+) THE BIG ONE IS THE NEGATIVE (-) THE SMALL ONE IS THE POSITIVE (+)

You solder the resistor to the POSITIVE (+) LEG and your on your way.

Then test your job with a couple of jumpers hooked to your 12 volt battery. NEGATIVE FROM THE BATTERY TO THE NAKED LEG OF THE LED. POSITIVE TO THE LEG WITH THE 470 OHM 1/4 WATT RESISTOR SOLDERED ON. " LET THERE BE LIGHT "

Allied Electronics is a good provider for resistors and LEDS Just Google and COMPARE PRICES - THERE IS THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE! Example-Company X wants $1.95 for 1ea. 5mm red LED Company Y Wants $0.0195 ea. and sells is lots of a 100pcs. SO I spend $1.95 and get 100 LEDS. It pays to GOOGLE.

I know that this is just a brief outline but once I knew that I needed a 1/4 Watt 470 ohm resistor and that the BIG PADDLE IS NEGATIVE(-) THE SMALL PADDLE IS POSITIVE (+)

I've already soldered over a HUNDRED LEDS in 2 days and they all work and I've never done this before in my life.

I SHARED THIS NOT TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL GOOD BUT TO HELP THE GUY OR GAL THAT HAS THE NEED TO CREATE AND WASN'T EQUIPPED WITH ENOUGH INFORMATION TO GIVE IT A GO.

Your Friend

Buck1234

Spyder Garage

I bought a bunch of LEDs already stringed together at what I thought was a great price. Turned out the price was so great because they are attached to a flat tape, all wired together in a way where you can cut them evey 3 lights, but they are not in any type of plastic tubing. Now I have plenty, but really don't know what to do with them.

It sounds like your process will create a similar issue. What are your plans?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I bought a bunch of LEDs already stringed together at what I thought was a great price. Turned out the price was so great because they are attached to a flat tape, all wired together in a way where you can cut them evey 3 lights, but they are not in any type of plastic tubing. Now I have plenty, but really don't know what to do with them.

It sounds like your process will create a similar issue. What are your plans?
    Hello Mark; I'll start with waterproof vs non waterproof. You can buy LED specific connectors for the flat tape style and make your own lengths. Just Google "LED strip light connectors."

Waterproof, like you wrote have a sleeve to protect them from the elements. Indoor type can be easily given a coat of clear silicon caulking (like around the bath tub) or even using a hot glue gun to seal off the whole piece. All is not lost, you have the material to be creative and make your own LED statement.

Buck

Buck1234

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Buck1234,

Here I am trying to avoid looking like a Christmas tree and you post this. Nice write-up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of great information! THANKS!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information. You are never to old to learn
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I know the cluster type LED turn signals or other ornaments run 3 or more strands in parallel (lets say 12 LEDs) so if 1 LED dies, the device has 8 LEDs still working.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black