Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ladies (or men) on two-wheelers, some help?

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the weird title in advance but it will become clear in just a minute. I currently drive a wonderful BMW F800GT which I worship and adore. I couldn't imagine living without it. Unfortunately my body doesn't agree with me. I've been diagnosed with ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia a few years back and I'm finally starting feeling the drain it's taking on my body. I really don't want to part with my two-wheeler but I'm afraid in the end I'll have no choice. Since I absolutely loathe driving a car and it's in no way a replacement for a two-wheeler, I'm kind of looking for an alternative for when it becomes 100% impossible to ride a two-wheeler.

Well, most trikes look horrid to me and the ones that I do seem to like (GG Taurus, certain two-wheelers converted to a trike, ...) all cost me way more than an arm and a leg. I'm not saying that the Spyder is affordable but it should be reachable in the long run, especially when older models get lowered in price. Now, the title...are there any girls or boys here that used to drive a two-wheeler (or still do) and can comment on how 'fun' the spyder is to own in everyday life?

My beloved one is taking me for a testdrive on an RT this Saturday at a 'local' dealer to ease my mind and cheer me up a little. It should be fun since I'm allowed to drive for a little while too. I have no idea what to expect either way but I am reluctant to accept something else than my beloved bike at the moment. I feel so reluctant to accept that I might not be able to drive it anymore that I just can't see myself liking the Spyder either. I don't even like the way it looks and I can't see any benefits to it.

Can you guys/girls perhaps help me get a more neutral image on the Spyder as I really do want to like it though. I'd love it if you could give me some benefits of the Spyder so I can try to focus on those. Also I'm having a hard time choosing between the different models. The RS, ST and RT all seem so alike. Would the RS be useless if I wanted to go for longer trips with sleepovers? What about that new F3?

Thank you in any case for trying to help me and I look forward to your replies!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife has an RT and it's a great bike. I ride a 2 wheeler but also enjoy the spyder. The Rt has the most storage although there is a trailer available for touring. Once you ride one I think you will like it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I' ve driven two wheelers for over 40 years, and still have one. Now that I have arrived at the ripe old age of 71 my two wheeler just sits in the garage gathering dust. I find myself checking out the sky each morning to see how the driving weather will be that day. I really enjoy riding my spyder. I never suffered a learning curve like many people have reported. It may be because I have spend hundreds of hours on a 4 wheeler. Just relax and have fun.

Good Luck
    Dennis
    2013 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

We have a 2010 rt and enjoy the Ryde. I drove a 2 Wheeler for, 50 yrs and the change was easy. I also drove snow mobiles, which is what we now have on wheels.
    For you this should give you a better feeling of safety and control, given your medical condition. I have a sister with the disease and she gets very tired easily. Good luck and keep ryding.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Thank you kindly for the feedback so far~!

It seems so far I've only gotten wise advice from older experienced riders than myself which makes me feel blessed. I am 'only' 27 spring young so I'm still finding my way in life. I feel fortunate that these diseases are the only I have so far, it could have been way worse.

Fatigue and muscle pain is indeed the main reason for needing to change over to a different vehicle in the future. If I've ridden for about an hour or two I feel the bike literally becoming heavier and heavier for me to hold at a stoplight (which is ridiculous I know) and the pain from handling the clutch and brake levers usually gets to me at that point causing my concentration and focus on traffic to falter. It doesn't seem safe for me to keep riding my bike like that. A three-wheeler with automatic gears might relieve that I guess.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Making the change

I rode 2 wheelers for 38 years and finally gave it up. Last year we had the opportunity to test drive an RT during Can Am demo days on the area raceway road track, we were hooked! This year at Easter I made the final decision due to medical problems with Severe Rhuematoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis to trade the 2 wheeler in since I could no longer operate it safely. My wife still rides her 2 wheeler for short runs but is reaching the same point. We both took a 3 wheeler (trike) course taught by an instructor on a Spyder, it has helped considerable and we are glad the change was made. I would not go back to 2 wheels again, the Spyder is the ultimate touring machine, and we spent a little extra having a drivers backrest, and the tri-axis handlebars installed. I also had a BajaRon sway bar installed which made a big difference. After 150 miles on a 2 wheeler I could barely move for days, on the spyder 300-400 is no big deal. My advice to you is, what kind of value do you put on your life? Is it worth the risk to continue to try and do the 2 wheeler, or move forward to the wonderful life of 3 wheels and enjoy the "Golden Years"! I never regret my decision, and neither does my family.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELGIUM

Is that the Belgium in Europe ????.....You may have trouble finding a NEW Spyder ......never mind a USED one ..........................Good Luck.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I still ride a 2-wheeler, and technically the Spyder is my wife's ride. While I'm still a devoted fan of "normal" bikes, I've found the Spyder to be a blast ride, I really like it. Everyone's experience is different, but after the initial adjustment, I've had no problem switching between the two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is that the Belgium in Europe ????.....You may have trouble finding a NEW Spyder ......never mind a USED one ..........................Good Luck.....Mike
    Is there another Belgium perhaps? Off course I'm talking about the land of chocolate, beer and french fries. What makes you think I'd have trouble finding one? I know about at least 2 dealers in this country. Granted they're not very close by but around an hour drive and I'm there. Your comment actually startled me o_o are they that rare in Europe? I've only seen one driven before here in Belgium so far but I'm sure there are more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    Is there another Belgium perhaps? Off course I'm talking about the land of chocolate, beer and french fries. What makes you think I'd have trouble finding one? I know about at least 2 dealers in this country. Granted they're not very close by but around an hour drive and I'm there. Your comment actually startled me o_o are they that rare in Europe? I've only seen one driven before here in Belgium so far but I'm sure there are more.
    My wife bought the first Spyder in our family, a 2010 RT SE. She had been riding two wheels since 1974 but an accident in 1979 sidelined her for a few years. She moved from a Suzuki GS 1000 down to a Honda 400 as the lighter machine was easier to handle but even that grew to be a problem. She has one arm that is paralyzed, rotator cuff problems and has some nerve damage in her back.

Next she tried a Suzuki Burgman 650 that we triked for her but even that wore out her arms and shoulders after a few hours riding. When she test drove the Spyder with the power assisted steering it was a Godsend.

She put 50,000 miles on her 2010 and when she traded it in on a 2012 RT Limited, I decided to give up on two wheels and join her. She now has 20,000 miles on the '12 (mine just turned 25,000) and we are sold on Spyders.

At age 27 you have at least another 70 more years of great adventure ahead of you. Might as well start enjoying a Spyder right away.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Siara, have no fear, I'm sure Hercule Poirot could locate a great Snyder dealer for you in Belgium. If you plan touring, go with the rt. comfort and cargo space make a difference.

Spyder Garage

I have come from 45 + years of driving two wheelers and over 40 makes and models, from 80cc up to 2000cc. I loved each and every one.

My first , a 2008 GS with Manual transmission was purchased because I wanted to try something new. I loved it, and until 2012, had two wheels in the garage as well as my .

Medical issues caused me to give up two wheels in 2012 and I had to bid goodbye to my last Vulcan.

I recently purchased my fifth , a 2014 ACE 1330 triple with Semi Auto transmission. I still long for a two wheel ride occasionally, but the gets me through the pain.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Siara

You are contemplating a good move and a good decision considering your situation. I have had to do the samething. Believe me you will never regret it. Research the 2014 RTS SE6 . BRP has worked out almost all the bugs on the 14 RT’s and so far, they have a good/excellent reputation. Prices on the 14 RT’s are beginning to fall as the F3’s are coming out and winter is approaching. I’ve seen prices in the US recently as low 23K on the 14RTS SE6. Keep up with this site as you will you will find your best help and advise here. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...le-ryde-report

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has health issues that leave her tired and experiencing mild vertigo sometimes. She still has her two wheeler (Yamaha FZ6R) for her good days, but rides our RS on her "off" days, because three wheels removes the need to balance. If she is really feeling off though, she doesn't ride. To her, the Spyder is an optional back up plan. She still craves the lean but having a back up plan is a good thing, for us.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the weird title in advance but it will become clear in just a minute. I currently drive a wonderful BMW F800GT which I worship and adore. I couldn't imagine living without it. Unfortunately my body doesn't agree with me. I've been diagnosed with ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia a few years back and I'm finally starting feeling the drain it's taking on my body. I really don't want to part with my two-wheeler but I'm afraid in the end I'll have no choice. Since I absolutely loathe driving a car and it's in no way a replacement for a two-wheeler, I'm kind of looking for an alternative for when it becomes 100% impossible to ride a two-wheeler.

Well, most trikes look horrid to me and the ones that I do seem to like (GG Taurus, certain two-wheelers converted to a trike, ...) all cost me way more than an arm and a leg. I'm not saying that the Spyder is affordable but it should be reachable in the long run, especially when older models get lowered in price. Now, the title...are there any girls or boys here that used to drive a two-wheeler (or still do) and can comment on how 'fun' the spyder is to own in everyday life?

My beloved one is taking me for a testdrive on an RT this Saturday at a 'local' dealer to ease my mind and cheer me up a little. It should be fun since I'm allowed to drive for a little while too. I have no idea what to expect either way but I am reluctant to accept something else than my beloved bike at the moment. I feel so reluctant to accept that I might not be able to drive it anymore that I just can't see myself liking the Spyder either. I don't even like the way it looks and I can't see any benefits to it.

Can you guys/girls perhaps help me get a more neutral image on the Spyder as I really do want to like it though. I'd love it if you could give me some benefits of the Spyder so I can try to focus on those. Also I'm having a hard time choosing between the different models. The RS, ST and RT all seem so alike. Would the RS be useless if I wanted to go for longer trips with sleepovers? What about that new F3?

Thank you in any case for trying to help me and I look forward to your replies!
    Take your check book with you. Once you sit on it.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a checkbook so I think I'm pretty safe. I also don't have a penny to my name at the moment so it's going to hurt to leave that store empty-handed if I do like the Spyder. If I do decide to give this a go I'll have to start saving up but I can hardly save up 400$ a month so it might take a while. Tips and tricks to make extra funding is much appreciated. Off course if I sell my beautiful bike I'll have some funding but not nearly enough...

Oh well, money is a worry for later. Let's see if I actually like it during the test ride. My partner said he'll drive my bike in pursuit and I can drive the RT so if I really don't like it I can always hop on my own bike instead and he can continue riding the RT to the dealer. Is there anything I have to be sure NOT to do on a Spyder?

Also I had a question for all of you, what kind of license do you need in America for the Spyder? Here in Belgium you need a bike license to drive one but I heard that in the Netherlands a car license is enough. The laws here are so confusing sometimes. Luckily I have both licenses anyway...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default flappy paddles

One extra tip if I may - go for the SE5 or SE6, the semi-auto flappy paddle model. I had a hand problem after too many decades on the computer and found that having no clutch lever / gear pedal made a huge difference. It's still a blast to change up / down through the gears, so you don't have to let the spyder have all the fun. I switched from 2 wheels as I found it beginning to be too heavy at stop lights and in gravel (stone) carparks, and have not regretted it for a moment. Have just changed from RS to ST, for a bit more comfort and ergonomics which suit me better. Enjoy your ride, but make sure, if possible, that it is a good, long ride - a few minutes or even half an hour isn't enough, it'll just feel totally weird, so try to go for longer if you can. Regards from Oz.

Spyder Garage

Thank you kindly for the good advice, loisk. I love the words 'flappy paddles', haha~

I work on a computer at work so I guess I'll be more than sure to go for the SE models. If I happen to win the lottery I'm sure to go for the RT model because driver floorboards, heated grips and fog lights are actually what I'm looking for in these models but apparently those are all options on the more expensive models. Quite dissapointing actually...

I think the dealer will let us ride the machine for about an hour, maybe two. I guess that should give me a basic idea of what makes it tick and how suitable it would be for my needs.

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413527506.685959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default floorboards, heated grips, foglights models

Thank you kindly for the good advice, loisk. I love the words 'flappy paddles', haha~

I work on a computer at work so I guess I'll be more than sure to go for the SE models. If I happen to win the lottery I'm sure to go for the RT model because driver floorboards, heated grips and fog lights are actually what I'm looking for in these models but apparently those are all options on the more expensive models. Quite dissapointing actually...

I think the dealer will let us ride the machine for about an hour, maybe two. I guess that should give me a basic idea of what makes it tick and how suitable it would be for my needs.
    Hi again - the ST Limited comes standard with driver floorboards and heated grips. Foglights - I don't know because in Oz the foglight position is used-up by the low or high beam headlights, as our "authorities" don't think the standard/USA lights are good enough - maybe too high to spot wombats on the road (mobile sugar bags, if you hit them..). Anyway, ST Ltd is another option for you, depending on foglights I guess. Or STS (cheaper) and just have floorboards etc added to suit you -- guess you can "add" to basic RT too to get what you need, just need to do the costings... Worth chatting to your dealer about such options, so that your hip pocket copes! RT of course has the nice, big motor!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am female also. I rode a 2 wheel for about 10 years. I felt pretty confident on the 2 wheelers but in some situations I did not feel safe or lacked the strength. I am considered young compared to a lot of the Spyder riders (mid 40's). I own a 2012 RS SE5. I choose the RS because I still like to ride a little aggressively and the RS seat position allows for that. The longest ride I rode on was an 8 hour day and I was feeling it in the Butt for sure. However most everyone else were either on RT's or 2 wheelers and they were not doing so well either. The reasons below is why I sold my 2 wheeler and purchased a spyder.

On windy days I would get blown around a lot on the highway. It would scare the piss out of me sometimes when those wind gust would hit or a Semi would pass, So bad that I had to jump off and take the side roads.

If I happened to park on a downward incline (even a slight incline), it was a struggle and embarrassing sometimes trying to back the bike up.

I used my bike for commuting and the stop and go traffic and using the clutch and brake, killed my hands.

I had a couple of close calls when I would hit sand, gravel, wet leaves and large pot holes

Spyder Garage

I found the Spyder to be a much more comfortable ryde than 2 wheels. It is like riding in a Cadillac rather than a farm truck. Its just "softer" and actually a lot more fun!!!

Please keep us updated on what you thought about the ride!!

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Just a little update on the test drive I managed to do on the Spyder RT 2014. It was alright but I'm not really impressed. I did like not having to put my foot down at traffic lights and the automatic transmission on the 2014 did its job pretty well. I'm dissapointed at the sky high prices however...there is no way I'll be able to afford one new and I'm not sure about the secondhand models

There's currently a black 2010 RT-S and a brown 2012 RT-Ltd for sale but both have the SE5 transmission. How are they compared to the newest model regarding shifting and fuel mileage? I'm really worried about spending all my savings towards a second-hand model and ending up with a 'lemon' as everyone seems to call them here.

Can you perhaps give me some feedback on the older models?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hiya, sorry to hear about your health problems

I have a 2006 Z1000 which weighs about 220kg, and I also have a 2012 rss.

They're totally different machines, you dont ride the spyder like a bike, and it can be hard to 'unbike' it. Mine is twitchy, hoping to have that sorted by a wheel alignment.

My zed tried to fall over one day, and I had to have a hip operation afterwards as holding it up with one leg messed it up. Advantage of the spyder us you can park it anywhere, grass, hills etc, it simply won't fall over. When I sit at lights sometimes I sit on the back seat and wave at the children in the cars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ttc View Post
    Hiya, sorry to hear about your health problems

I have a 2006 Z1000 which weighs about 220kg, and I also have a 2012 rss.

They're totally different machines, you dont ride the spyder like a bike, and it can be hard to 'unbike' it. Mine is twitchy, hoping to have that sorted by a wheel alignment.

My zed tried to fall over one day, and I had to have a hip operation afterwards as holding it up with one leg messed it up. Advantage of the spyder us you can park it anywhere, grass, hills etc, it simply won't fall over. When I sit at lights sometimes I sit on the back seat and wave at the children in the cars
    Haha, thanks for cheering me up~! I can just imagine you sitting on the back waving while the front seat remains ghostly empty...rofl...

Thank you for the feedback. I believe a Spyder will be a good alternative but it's a fight now to decide whether I'll spend some agonizing years saving up for the 2014 RT or go for a secondhand RT of the lower years.
    ╔═.♥. ═══════════════════════════════
    ║Proud owner of a 2012 Spyder RT-S that has yet to be named...
    ╚══════.♥. ════════════════════════════