Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Gel Cell?

You guys are confusing me again. The dealer mentioned that the Spyders come with 'acid' already in the battery. When they replaced my battery, they replaced it with one where they added the acid then charged it to 100% before installing. Do some of you have gel cell batteries because I obviously don't.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RGVSpyderGirl View Post
    You guys are confusing me again. The dealer mentioned that the Spyders come with 'acid' already in the battery. When they replaced my battery, they replaced it with one where they added the acid then charged it to 100% before installing. Do some of you have gel cell batteries because I obviously don't.
    I have never seen my battery and do not know if it is gel, but suspect it is. I plug my battery tenders in my scoots and riding mower 24/7. I told you the plug adapter to use and I think you ordered it. IF the dealer has the connections tight on your battery, plug it in and leave it pluged in.....it will not hurt the battery as the tender will adjust its charging to the battery condition. Many do not subscribe to this charging regimen, but I do and have not had a "no start due to battery" in many years. This is what I do and won't change my way of doing it....!! It works for me.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Your battery is a GEL, There is no Spyder with an acid battery, The Spyder's battery sits on it's side acid will drip out

Spyder Garage

Spyder batteries are are of the VRLA (Valev-Regulate Lead-Acid) type. These are sealed batteries, which can be mounted in any position. There are two types, AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and Gel Cell. Both types contain acid which is held between the plates by the glass mat or gelled media. I'm quite sure that at least the early Spyder batteries were gel cell. They needed to be prepared by the dealer, with acid added, left upright to gell, then charged overnight. I think the newer ones come ready for use, but I cannot be certain. At any rate, a properly prepared VRLA battery can be installed on its side. A vented, flooded-plate (conventional) lead acid battery cannot. It also will not work long on its side, with the plates exposed, and will leak through the vents.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Is this the dawning of the age of gelarius?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Those who can remember the sixties never really lived them.
    I remember the 60's well, I did lose 65,66, and most of 67.[ Domino Theory.]

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I have never seen my battery and do not know if it is gel, but suspect it is. I plug my battery tenders in my scoots and riding mower 24/7. I told you the plug adapter to use and I think you ordered it. IF the dealer has the connections tight on your battery, plug it in and leave it pluged in.....it will not hurt the battery as the tender will adjust its charging to the battery condition. Many do not subscribe to this charging regimen, but I do and have not had a "no start due to battery" in many years. This is what I do and won't change my way of doing it....!! It works for me.

Actually the plug adapter you recommended DID NOT work. I returned it.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com

Spyder Garage

Smile At last -- someone makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Spyder batteries are are of the VRLA (Valev-Regulate Lead-Acid) type. These are sealed batteries, which can be mounted in any position. There are two types, AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and Gel Cell. Both types contain acid which is held between the plates by the glass mat or gelled media. I'm quite sure that at least the early Spyder batteries were gel cell. They needed to be prepared by the dealer, with acid added, left upright to gell, then charged overnight. I think the newer ones come ready for use, but I cannot be certain. At any rate, a properly prepared VRLA battery can be installed on its side. A vented, flooded-plate (conventional) lead acid battery cannot. It also will not work long on its side, with the plates exposed, and will leak through the vents.
    Since the dealer told me they added acid, your explanation makes sense. I'll ask them next time I'm there which battery I have. Thank you.
    Last edited by RGVSpyderGirl; 08-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Very informative and enlightening thread.....I have a 2011 RT-S SE and experienced a Low Voltage warning as I arrived to work this morning. I bought her on 8/16/11 and pretty much ridden every day since. I went on a long ryde yesterday with a group of folks and had no issues whatsoever - she started up fine and ran fine, all day. When I started out from my garage this morning, everything was normal - again, started up fine, and ran fine all the way to work (approx 10 miles).
    After reading SpyderFun's post, I thought that perhaps I inadvertantly drained the battery because I've been trying to get better gas mileage by shifting at around the 4,000 RPM range; however, I did drive the freeway this morning for approx 8 minutes at around 4,500-5,000+ RPMs. So even though I was driving under 4,000 RPMs, it was for a short time and I really don't believe it should have drained that fast....or could it have?
    One side note here is that I installed the HMT LED light a few days ago, but I would think that even if there were a drain somewhere, there would have been some kind of sign before today.
    I'll be calling my dealer in an hour when they open and see if they'll come to my place of work and replace my battery.

Spyder Garage

The first thing to check in this situation is that the battery connections (at the battery, nit the jumper terminals under the seat) are clean and tight. Beyond that, the dealer needs to do some testing, unless you are capable. Unless you are using both heated grips and a lot of electrical accessories, your rpm should be sufficient if you ride a reasonable amount of time between starts.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty, I'll check the connections first - but would it act like the battery were draining when I try to start if a loose connection were indeed the cause? I would think that I would get a few clicks, but not what appears to be a draining battery.

Also, if memory serves me correctly (I'm not at my spyder right now), there seems to be a panel that needs to be removed in order to get to the battery terminals, is this correct?

Here is a short video I took this morning of how the acted:

Spyder Garage

Just went out and I loosened, then tightened the battery connections. The negative bolt seemed like it took me more turns to tighten then when I loosened, but it's nice and tight now. Tried to start and am getting the same results, so gonna need to get a jump start.
    My fuel light came on this morning too and I was planning to gas up after work, but now I'm going to have to try to make it home without fueling up since I would have to turn the motor off to gas up. I hope she gets me home without any issues.

Spyder Garage

If you have a Battery Tender or the equivalent, charge the battery fully, then let it sit for a few hours to overnight. The voltage should remain above 12.4 volts. After fully charging, then resting, try thiese tests if you have a volt-ohm meter. While cranking the starter with the throttle wide open (WOT), so the Spyder soesn't actually start, the battery voltage should remain above 10.0 volts. If it fails either test, the battery is bad. Your dealer can perform a proper load test if need be.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually the plug adapter you recommended DID NOT work. I returned it.
    I am sorry if you got the wrong plug. The photos are not real clear. It is the one that connects to the Battery Tender and has a cigarette plug on the end...I plug it into the trunk plug and it works fine. Perhaps call the company and they can help you. Again, I am sorry to cause you the trouble.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...-cables/PWRCBL

This is the Powerlet web site. Perhaps you can find the proper cable.

Last edited by Mr. White; 08-29-2011 at 08:46 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer went above & beyond...

1) When I picked up my 2011 RT-S at Blackman's in Emaus, PA, they had already installed a two-prong battery charger lead which lays curled up by the battery because "the termianls are tough to get to and we always want to make sure the terminals are tight when we deliver the bike."

2) If you remember college in the early '70's... you weren't having a good time!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I charge my battery through the outlet in the trunk and have my heated clothing pigtail hooked directly to my battery. It is much easier to plug in my battery tender when I park BR1.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default The day got worse....

I was able to get my jump started, but it just didn't sound well ( kinda like having a scratchy throat ). So I started heading out of the parking lot not intending to make any unnecessary stops. I got about 40 feet out of the main entrance and she lit up like a Christmas tree, then began to sputter. It never went into limp mode, but each time I twisted the throttle, it sputtered and slowed more. I headed to a parking area across the street where I saw shade (it was around 90 degrees out) and while at the stop light I wasn't able to downshift, nor did the bike auto-shift to first, it was stuck in 2nd gear. . Needless to say, I called for roadside assistance.

I would like to add that the entire time I was stranded, my dealership's Service Manager stayed available to me and assured me that he would do everything he could to get my back to me ASAP. I know, lip service, right? He did say that he had a new battery and was in process of charging it. He tried to help me with telling me how to get the tranny back into neutral, manually. Unfortunately, I didn't have any tools with me, so I continued to sit and wait for a tow. I knew the tow truck would arrive at the dealership later than when he told me he was going to be there so I didn't expect him to tell me that he was going to hang out until my got there, he did. For now, I can say that I got great service, especially on a day when the service department does not have any techs working.

I'll let you know the outcome in a day or two (I hope).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry for your problem(s), but it sure sounds like your service manager is going the extra mile for you. In south TX all motorcycle dealers are closed on Sunday and Monday except the HD dealers who are open seven days a week.

I hope all is well. Let us know. We care.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I charge my battery through the outlet in the trunk and have my heated clothing pigtail hooked directly to my battery. It is much easier to plug in my battery tender when I park BR1.

Do you use a Powerlet? And, on your tender, is it 1.5Amp or 2Amp (what is recommended?)?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Do you use a Powerlet? And, on your tender, is it 1.5Amp or 2Amp (what is recommended?)?
    In my opinion 2 amps is on the high side, 1.5 would be better, When it was legal i kept 6 gel batteries charged for 6 deer feeders with a 1.5 amp charger'
    And they lasted for years . And that's running all winter hanging in trees in sub zero Temps.
    Slow and easy is the best way to charge a battery.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Yes, I use the Powelet pigtail and plug my 1.5 Amp Battery Tender in the RT trunk outlet when not riding as I do with my Gold Wing. I think, as said by bobogara, 2 Amp is a little high and 1.5 works fine for me. I also use 1.5 on my tractor and riding mower, but a 2 Amp on my motorhome with its two 6v deep cycle batteries hooked in series for 12v coach lighting.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    In my opinion 2 amps is on the high side, 1.5 would be better.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I have a 2 amp tender now, but will get a 1.5 amp asap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    In my opinion 2 amps is on the high side, 1.5 would be better, When it was legal i kept 6 gel batteries charged for 6 deer feeders with a 1.5 amp charger'
    And they lasted for years . And that's running all winter hanging in trees in sub zero Temps.
    Slow and easy is the best way to charge a battery.
    Bob, if you would like to go deer hunting with me, come on down and bring your ball bat. You can sit on my back porch with a glass of iced tea and when Bucky comes over to see what treats you have for him...WHAP!, right between the ears....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BIG RED 1;367777]Bob, if you would like to go deer hunting with me, come on down and bring your ball bat. You can sit on my back porch with a glass of iced tea and when Bucky comes over to see what treats you have for him...WHAP!, right between the ears....

What kind of deer are they , Looks like you been whacking them with white paint balls.
    The only spotted dear out here a fawns.
    But truthfully i love walking though the woods and if i sit somewhere and a buck [8Pt.] comes bye and wakes me i might take a shot [45/70]