Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rain gear and wet crotches

I know... strange way to start a thread; but there is a reason for it.

has ANYONE found some rain gear that... after riding through a good
    down pour; your crotch is not soaked, because of a poor waterproofing in the pants?

I'm looking at Frogg Toggs; but i was informed that after sitting in a puddle, some soaking may occur. results may vary...

I've been though about seven rain gear sets; and have yet to find a pair of rain pants... that did NOT leak at the crotch seams. nothing better than looking like you just wet your britches, when you pull you rain gear off.

anyone have any suggestions or good results from a particular brand?

Spyder Garage

NO

My replacement "100% waterproof" jeans leaked pretty much like any other pant's, just took a little longer than most. I pretty much give up at this point.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had really good luck with the Frogg Togg bib overalls. I purchased them as a single item not a set, they were about $60. The material seems thicker than the Frogg Togg set that I have. I have ridden through some very heavy all day rains with no leaks but my RT does a good job of rain protection.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I got an all weather riding pants that I used when we went to Spyderfest. We came back to Memphis into tons of rain/storms.. the pants worked great.. I was perfectly dry from the waist down. My feet were dry... hubby was soaking wet. However.. I haven't found something that will keep me dry on the top.. all the water comes in to my neck..

Spyder Garage

Perhaps a pair of "Depends" would work when going into those wet hairpin turns
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Don't be too sure that the pants are the ones leaking. I will admit that many do, but there are other possibilities. I seem to have the most trouble with rain coming in over the top of the fly gusset, and collecting in the crotch. Even with my BMW one-piece rainsuit, where the gusset comes well up the belly, this happened. I found the trouble was that the suit folded in front when I sat down. If this fold points up and makes a "valley", and is above the gusset, you get very wet. If it folds down, you only get wet in a hard rain at high speed. If I carefully move the overlapped portion down, and fold it below the gusset, I don't get wet at all. In short, make sure your suit doesn't wrinkle when you sit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    I know... strange way to start a thread; but there is a reason for it.

has ANYONE found some rain gear that... after riding through a good
    down pour; your crotch is not soaked, because of a poor waterproofing in the pants?

I'm looking at Frogg Toggs; but i was informed that after sitting in a puddle, some soaking may occur. results may vary...

I've been though about seven rain gear sets; and have yet to find a pair of rain pants... that did NOT leak at the crotch seams. nothing better than looking like you just wet your britches, when you pull you rain gear off.

anyone have any suggestions or good results from a particular brand?
    A co-worker who rides a two-wheeler swears by his snow boarders suit. Says it keeps him warm and dry. Only bad point is that it is a bit baggy for him. He said it is cheaper than motorcycle gear too. He rides in all weather, so I might try it this year.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

TourMaster Elite 2 piece rainsuit, first one I've found that actually works.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john
    I ditto John's endorsement of TourMaster 2 piece rainsuit....3 week trip only had 5 days without rain...only time I got any inside clothes wet was when I left my hoodie hanging outside jacket....best wick in the world!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Offshore racing sailing bibs. 100% waterproof, lined and lightly insulated. West Marine and any sailing outfitter will have a selection.

Just my $.02

Buck1234

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    NO

My replacement "100% waterproof" jeans leaked pretty much like any other pant's, just took a little longer than most. I pretty much give up at this point.

Do you have any proof of this ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I ditto John's endorsement of TourMaster 2 piece rainsuit....3 week trip only had 5 days without rain...only time I got any inside clothes wet was when I left my hoodie hanging outside jacket....best wick in the world!!!!
    I also agree on the TourMaster rain suits..............they work pretty good for us

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Ditto! I've got the one-piece and it keeps what's outside; outside!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Zipper the problem?

I got myself a relatively cheap one piece suit for when it gets colder / rainy.

The crotch only gets wet when its really raining pretty hard, and I'm pretty sure that it's a combination of how I sit on the bike (since it's more of a saddle) and where the bottom of the zipper ends up.
    Not sure exactly how to remedy that, but I'm working on it!

Spyder Garage

When I rolled into Maggie Valley the Wednesday night prior to the Owner's Event, my crotch was soaked even though I'd been wearing a set of Frogg Toggs I'd bought a couple of years ago, but never had used. The lady at the Comfort Inn front desk commented on how wet I was when I came back downstairs to get my bags after removing the rain suit. I told her that you gotta do what you gotta do to stay warm any way you can.

I am happy to report that by the next morning, my Frogg Toggs were completely dry! (Now, my clothes took another day or two before they were dry...)
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is it that I can hear Arntufun asking, "Does it hold oil?"

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why is it that I can hear Arntufun asking, "Does it hold oil?"

NY minds think alike !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlJl...yer_detailpage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

And as Jackie Gleason used to say:
    "Annnnnnnnnnnd Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, we Goooooooooooooo!
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dentin028 View Post
    I got an all weather riding pants that I used when we went to Spyderfest. We came back to Memphis into tons of rain/storms.. the pants worked great.. I was perfectly dry from the waist down. My feet were dry... hubby was soaking wet. However.. I haven't found something that will keep me dry on the top.. all the water comes in to my neck..

In almost three years of using my Frogg Toggs in rainy Florida this has been my experience as well. Dry pants, only water coming in is around my neck, front and back because I don't use the hood which would have to go under my helmet. So I've learned to live with a little bit of a wet upper chest and upper back...

Spyder Garage

For rain gear, I use Firstgear Textile jacket and pants.

I also have a pair of Rev It man made leather, pants with zip in rain liner.

I have been through some downpours that lasted over 200 miles and have never experienced the the wet bottom or water seeping in.

I did get my gloves so wet they were soaked to the skin. Solved that by buying some waterproof rain gloves.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First Gear has GREAT stuff... the only reason that I went with TourMaster is that I figured that they'd be better for riding in hot weather.

But it wasn't an easy decision!

Spyder Garage

I wear the Firstgear Rainman 2 piece and it really keeps me good and dry except for the crotch in a real heavy rain. If your seat dishes enough to hold standing water (and whos doesn't? is that correct English?) you have to wear completely submersible water proof pants to stay dry.

The problem you run into there is you're talking basically plastic pants that will not breathe at all. Very hot and sweaty proposition this time of year. You're going to end up wet from sweat in dry weather that way.

What I did was get one of the beaded seat covers. I can't say that I'm all that fond of it for comfort and it certainly is a thrill on the twisties. Like riding on roller bearings!

But it keeps my butt up out of the puddle that forms in my seat and I've done a few hours in the rain with the same Rainman 2 piece suit and stayed dry as a bone.

I'd say anyone's gear will stay dry in the seat if you can get out of the standing water..... Even Lamont's denim pants!

Another key to keeping dry with todays breathable rain gear is you have to put it on BEFORE you get wet. Once you get water on the inside (like a wet shirt) it defeats the one-way moisture barrier and the rain gear will usually let more water in.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I can't understand those who have had bad experience with the Frogg Toggs. Both Tina and I have used them in some really heavy rains and didn't get wet at all --- 10 hours in the rain to Spyderfest and we were fine.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

rideeeee nakedddd its cheaper