Spyder Garage

Default Primary sprocket

I am brand new to the spyder world but have a lot of motorcycle experience as well as shifter karts (go kart with a 125cc 2 stroke motorcycle engine). On the racing karts we were constantly changing our sprockets according to the track. My questions are;
    1. What is the tooth count on the primary sprocket on the spyder RT Limited.
    2. Does anyone make different sprockets for the primary?
    3. Where is the speedometer pickup on the spyder? If it is in the tranny then you would have to re-calibrate it if you changed the sprocket. If its on the wheel then there would be no change required.

I have a friend that works at a machine shop that makes all kinds of gears and if there is none available I am thinking about having him make me 2 sprockets. One with one additional tooth and one with 2 additional teeth. I don't like turning this motor over 6 grand to run with traffic. I think that one tooth would help the rpm's and the fuel mileage. Any info is appreciated.

Greg Cain
    Birmingham, AL
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

28 teeth for the sprocket and the wheel sensors are used for the speedo.

Spyder Garage

Default Primary sprocket

I am going to order a new sprocket and take it to my buddy. I want him to have brand new one with no wear to get all of the measurments on the teeth. I paln to have him heat treat it and then send it out for cyrogenic strees relieving. I think I will start with a 29 tooth. Has anyone done this before? If so how many teeth did they do?

Thanks
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gcain747 View Post
    I am going to order a new sprocket and take it to my buddy. I want him to have brand new one with no wear to get all of the measurments on the teeth. I paln to have him heat treat it and then send it out for cyrogenic strees relieving. I think I will start with a 29 tooth. Has anyone done this before? If so how many teeth did they do?

Thanks
    There was an aluminum one from Mels Monster Garage with 29 or 30 teeth but I don't think he's in making them anymore.
    Last edited by spyryder; 07-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

The mels ones wore even quicker than the stock ones. The possible minor gains in changing the tooth count just aren't worth the risk in my opinion. Many of us have spun a front sprocket and also damaged the shaft splines.

If you run a different sprocket and have spline damage on the shaft you may have problems with BRP covering a very expensive shaft replacement.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 30 Tooth Sprocket

I totally agree with you on this sprocket issue, I am also new to these unique machines with lots of MC and Kart experience. I have brought this topic up along with others but these folks dont seem to see any problem with screaming down the road at a much higher RPM than is needed not to mention sucking fuel like crazy. My two wheeler cruises at 75 at around 3700 rpm, I found a guy with a NEW Mels 30 tooth sprocket here in Texas, not sure they are still in business. I have not installed it, thought of taking it to a shop to duplicate out of something other than aluminum. I am suprised Can Am does not offer one but I guess nobody really cares, I really dont care about the 0-60 performance I just want to cruise at about 1000 less RPM, please let me know if you have had any luck on the duplication process, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gcain747 View Post
    I am brand new to the spyder world but have a lot of motorcycle experience as well as shifter karts (go kart with a 125cc 2 stroke motorcycle engine). On the racing karts we were constantly changing our sprockets according to the track. My questions are;
    1. What is the tooth count on the primary sprocket on the spyder RT Limited.
    2. Does anyone make different sprockets for the primary?
    3. Where is the speedometer pickup on the spyder? If it is in the tranny then you would have to re-calibrate it if you changed the sprocket. If its on the wheel then there would be no change required.

I have a friend that works at a machine shop that makes all kinds of gears and if there is none available I am thinking about having him make me 2 sprockets. One with one additional tooth and one with 2 additional teeth. I don't like turning this motor over 6 grand to run with traffic. I think that one tooth would help the rpm's and the fuel mileage. Any info is appreciated.

Greg Cain
    Birmingham, AL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Others here will argue that there is no need for a gearing change but you are correct I have one bike with the 30 t and it's much better it makes about 400 rpm diff it is all the bigger that the belt adjuster will allow it should be noted that you can only make this change on a sm as the se will freak out the nanny and downshift by it's self the 30 t made from steel is being worked on

Spyder Garage

If anyone gets a 30 tooth made I'm very interested in purchasing one!!!!! Thanks Tim