Spyder Garage

Default Factory tire pressure settings

I would just like to know how good or bad is the ride if I set the pressure to BRP settings ? 15/28
    Does that create a problem with handling ? Also, how is the tire tread wear at these settings ? Is the swaying any more or less ? I would also like to know why the tire pressures on the last 3 Suzuki cycles and the 650 scooter have fixed number and don't give a choice of pressure ? In the old days, there would always be a different number for solo and two up. Now they don't seem to do that. Why does the Spyder have such a broad spectrum for tire pressures ?

Thanks,
    Gordon July 25, 2011
    Last edited by Motogordo; 07-25-2011 at 02:15 PM.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Pressure settings

My suggestion would be to experiment with psi. There are a lot of opinions on different pressures because of the ride and handling individual riders want. A pound or two will make a difference in the ride and handling characteristics. Besides, finding the correct pressures for your riding style will be a good reason to put some miles on.
    Just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    My suggestion would be to experiment with psi. There are a lot of opinions on different pressures because of the ride and handling individual riders want. A pound or two will make a difference in the ride and handling characteristics. Besides, finding the correct pressures for your riding style will be a good reason to put some miles on.
    Just my opinion.
    Excellent opinion as long as the parameters are within reason.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default factory tire pressure

Just my opinion.
    Thanks for all the opinions gentlemen. Right now I am at 20 /28. I know with all my cars, I usually use the factory settings. Shouldn't it be the same with the spyder ? What settings are best if you don't want to swish from side to side on the roads ? Harder or softer ?
    Gordon

Spyder Garage

I found that cranking the pre-load up to 5 on the front and running 18 psi keeps the random direction hunting down to a minimum. The new DPS last year helped a lot too. But it's a personal choice, based on experimentation.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

I have about 250 miles on my 2011 RT-S, and just got around to checking the front tire pressures today. They are 13.5, which is clearly on the low side. But to me (with no experience on other bikes, this being my first), the Spyder seems pretty rock solid. I haven't had any twitchiness or darting issues. I've been working my way up to highway work, doing about 30 minutes of 60 - 65 mph riding this morning, and the bike felt very stable at all times. The wind buffeting on me was the only thing that took getting used to; the bike rode straight and true.

Now, caveat: this was with a passenger on the back. I haven't noticed much difference in the bike with or without passenger while on the street, but have only done highway speeds with a passenger. I'm thinking having someone back there may help the high speed stability too.

Having a blast so far as I work up my experience level.

Spyder Garage

on the RT S. I run my tires on the RT at f-26, R-25 psi my shock is set at the max 5. I rotate the front avery 5000 mi,I ran 28 psi in the rear and only got around 13000 mi on before I had to replace it.the dealer told me to try around 25 psi it stell looks good the problem was the tire wore out in the center running 28psi in it. I stell have original front and they look very good with 21000 mi. The RS witch my wife rides has F-20, R-25 psi her shock is set at the 4th level she loves the way it rides.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure

Radgy:
    If I remember right, the minimum front pressure was 15psi. My bike is in the shop right now so I cannot check the recommended pressure. I mention this only because, with too low of psi it is possible to break the bead loose from the rim, especially when running into a corner hard.
    Just my experience.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealers tech , a young with a passion for bikes and has tested some 's with different air pressures . The air pressure he set up the and i like this pressure is 25psi in the front tires and 30psi in the rear tire with front shock set on #3. I find less body roll and better handling. We have a 2010 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Radgy:
    If I remember right, the minimum front pressure was 15psi. My bike is in the shop right now so I cannot check the recommended pressure. I mention this only because, with too low of psi it is possible to break the bead loose from the rim, especially when running into a corner hard.
    Just my experience.
    Thanks, I'll move 'em up to at least 15. Seems like a good idea, just in case.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Consensus of most RT ryders seems to be 18psi front, 28psi rear.
    Standard front shock to 5.

From there you can start to change as you need but for most of us this seems right.
    Modifying the RT to travel Canada.

Spyder Garage

Just re-set my fronts to 18 (well, 18.5...); the rear was at 31, so I left it there. The adjustable shock was delivered with the setting on 5, and I've left that there too. Still handles just wonderfully.

Spyder Garage

Default Air pressure and gauge

I posted a write up about air pressure, tire gauges and nitrogen on this site earlier. You can find it by looking for posts by me. I now have 2000 miles on my RT Limited and I am running 21 psi front and 30 rear. I have replaced the air in my tires with nitrogen.

Check out the write up.

Greg Cain
    gcain747
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

I'm using 18/28 and also have my shocks set to 5. That seems to work well for me. When I first got the it had 25 up front and it wanted to wander all over the road. I experimented with different pressures until I found what was conformable for me.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile Testing

Like others have said, just increase the front pressure and try it out. If you can find a nice road with lots of switch backs then start the fronts at 30 psi and then lower to 15 psi to see how it feels from one extreme to the other. Then you can go to something inbetween ? The rear tire does not effect handling but the center tread wear is normal for that tire my tech guy told me. I always run 28 in the rear. Just wish someone else would make another motorcycle tire for our Spyders!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the fun of tinkering with air pressure... All costs is a little time and effort...
    (18/28 here...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just in case you haven't looked yet but the 2011 RT tool kit under the seat includes a digital air pressure gauge.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gordon, air pressures are a personal setting depending on your riding and passenger. Try 25 in front, 28-30 in the rear and set you shocks on 4 or 5. Ride it a few miles, reduce the front to 22-23, ride, reduce to 20, down to 18 and so on. Select YOUR best pressures and shock settings. I ended up with 18/28, with 4 on my 2011 RT shocks. The 2011 front shocks are an upgrade from the 2011 RT shocks, and your settings will make a difference. Your preference may well be different.

Some like a firmer ride, others don't. My GW Motor Trike has 235 60R 15 tires on the rear and I did the same with it. Started with 28 and settled on 22. Forget the tire mfg. max pressures, etc. Tires for autos are built to carry much more weight than your Spyder weighs. If your rear tire is wearing in the middle, reduce the pressure some and see how it goes. JMHO

Last edited by Mr. White; 07-25-2011 at 08:59 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

When you put the Elka shocks on you will have to start all over again with the front tire pressures. I was running 21 front and 30 rear on my 2010 RT and after the Elka's, I am running 16 1/2 in the front and 28 in the rear. I think everyone has to figure out their own settings.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    I would just like to know how good or bad is the ride if I set the pressure to BRP settings ? 15/28
    Does that create a problem with handling ? Also, how is the tire tread wear at these settings ? Is the swaying any more or less ? I would also like to know why the tire pressures on the last 3 Suzuki cycles and the 650 scooter have fixed number and don't give a choice of pressure ? In the old days, there would always be a different number for solo and two up. Now they don't seem to do that. Why does the Spyder have such a broad spectrum for tire pressures ?

Thanks,
    Gordon July 25, 2011
    July 26, 2011
    I just got back from a 30 mile ride with the front tires at 17.5 and the rear at 28. The ride seemed much better this way then the 20 up front. I hope the tires will wear properly at these settings. I do get buffeting on the highway, but I don't believe that can be eliminated. I enjoy it more and more each day.
    Gordon

Spyder Garage

Check tire pressure COLD at ambient temp. This is to get a more accurate reading.

Or look up on the net how to check tire pressure.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that settings for the RT versus the RS are going to be different! For the same Ryder due to the different nature of each. I ryde an 09 RS with GIVI bags and a 17 inch windscreen. I use 19 front with the shocks set at notch number 4 and the rear set at 29. I ryde single which is also a factor. Just go ryde at different settings over the same road path so you can make comparisons that are not due to road quality and have fun!!

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure & gauges

Thanks,
    Gordon July 25, 2011
    8/1/2011 Yesterday I set my tires back to 18/28. I will go riding today and see how that is. Also, I test the BRP digital gauge with the standard penlike tire gauge. They both read exactly the same. Actually, the standard $3.00 tire gauge that has the slightly slanted end fits into the rear tire very well, and also the fronts, of course.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure & Front Shock Settings

8/1/2011 Yesterday I set my tires back to 18/28. I will go riding today and see how that is. Also, I test the BRP digital gauge with the standard penlike tire gauge. They both read exactly the same. Actually, the standard $3.00 tire gauge that has the slightly slanted end fits into the rear tire very well, and also the fronts, of course.
    August 8, 2011
    I went to the dealer on saturday and had them set the front shocks to 5. I was at 3 for a while. I find the ride alot better. It holds the road very well and I get alot less sway. The tires are at 18/28. I think I will keep it that way.

Gordon