Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kill Switch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I see what your saying but.......It would not stop you faster than slamming the brake would. That should always be your first instinct in that senerio.
    But killing power may give you back control of the steering allowing you to correct back into your lane instead of braking into oncoming traffic. I don't know this for sure as the issue never happened on my Spyder, I'm just speculating.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default arntufun

Can anyone give an emergency senerio in which they would, or have time to use the kill switch while driving ???? Anyone......... Anyone.........
    Here is an example, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=kill+switch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    But killing power may give you back control of the steering allowing you to correct back into your lane instead of braking into oncoming traffic. I don't know this for sure as the issue never happened on my Spyder, I'm just speculating.

Check post #41 and on (baja ron and hdx's posts):

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...+switch&page=2

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I see what your saying but.......It would not stop you faster than slamming the brake would. That should always be your first instinct in that senerio.

It's not in my nature to agree with people more than once or twice a week ,But I had my original Dps take me on white knuckle flights quite a few times [Across lanes twice] What saved me was hard breaking and hard steering back into my lane, and then loosen my grip on the bars when the DPS went [snapped] back to ''normal''; Hitting the kill switch would have left me with NO power to accelerate back into my lane, And would have slowed me down to a stop on the highway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not me... I'm bailin'

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

As you can see by the various comments, there are many ways to skin a cat. The trouble comes with the delay that is needed to think up a solution, and evaluate one uncommon situation from a list of many possibilities. The kill switch is a simple, immediate solution to a variety of problems. That is one of its main reasons for being. If you get used to using it every time you shut off your Spyder, you will never hesitate when the need arises under pressure. To each his/her own, but I use the kill switches on all my vehicles that are equippped with them. I always know where my right thumb is, and where to find the switch.

One added bonus, when you are used to using the switch to turn the Spyder off, it becomes the first thing you look at if you hit it accidentally and kill the beast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Don't know if the Spyder has any thing like that ? But i've dropped a few bikes in my time, And if still in gear they'll just stall, unless they were in neutral when dropped then the engine will just keep on running

Just to add if a bike had a tip over switch can you imagine if you were in a hard lean going around a curve and that switch trigger's.
    They don't always stall----- :-)
    http://www.radiousa.com/blogs/post/j...sh-and-spun-a/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I've been riding for more years than most of you. The order of stopping a two wheel bike is lower your feet to balance the bike as you come to a stop, then use the kill switch with your thumb to stop the engine without taking your hands off the handlebars, then you lean the bike over on its kick stand, then you turn off the main ignition switch and remove the key. And then you turn to fuel switch to OFF. It has worked for me and my Harleys for many many years. On the Spyder it is about the same proceedure except there's no fuel valve to shut off nor do you have to balance the Spyder when it's stopped. And no kick stand. But there is that difficult to find parking brake pedal that has to be pushed on all SE5s before your Spyder rolls away.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Here is an example, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=kill+switch

with that one. Nice find Wyliec.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stupid question time...
    If you kill power by whatever your method of choice; you have shut off all of that wonderful computing skill that Nanny possesses... Wouldn't it be better to have her on your side when your World is turning into nothing but "big eyes and brown shorts"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black