Thread: Limp home mode

Spyder Garage

Default Limp home mode

My 2010RT Spyder has gone into the limp home mode 3 times in the last few days. Took it to dealer on a trailer and they tell me they were unable to find any codes or any other problems with it. Well guess i will just have to wait for it to happen again and hope a code is noted of what caused the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Limp home mode

If it went into limp mode three times, BUDS should have pick that up.....

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our 2011 RTS went into limp mode on the way home from Maggie Valley, not a good feeling. DPS flashed intermittently. Turned it off and then back on, everything was ok. Took it to dealer, no codes found. One can only hope it doesn't happen again...so far from home.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Mine did that once. I realized that I had been testing all of the LEDs I had been installing which resulted in a low battery charge that I resolved with a battery tender.

Is there anything new or different recently that you could tie the problem to? Does the LH mode resolve after running for a while?

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode

Good Luck Brother! I have the same problem. It did not start until I had 1100 miles on it and the first time no problem showed up. Now they are saying I am riding the brake which is bogus. I watch my brake foot more than the road. I wish you better luck than me, but I dont think the problem can be fixed. The limp mode renders my spyder useless and seems to be in a certain percentage of the RT's. You can never safely go anywhere because of the randomness of it and the inability of the computer system to tell you what actually caused it. How any engineer or designer could think that shutting down your engine RPM's without warning causing you to lose power suddenly is a safety feature is beyond any reason. I wish whatever genius designed the limp mode could have been in my shoes when mine did that while I was on the inside lane of a 6 lane highway in Dallas. I honestly thought I was going to die. I dont really think BRP has any idea how to fix this problem so the dealers eventually come up with some reason to blame you and stall you off until it runs out of warranty. I know that sounds cynical but that has been my reality. I hope it is not yours. I bought a first year production 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 and never had any problems with it, but the Concours forums were full of people complaining about all kinds of issues. You do have to take negative comments with a grain of salt because I never wrote anything about my functioning Concours, so the percentage of problems is probably lower than it seems on this website. I just happen to be one of the people who got one of the lemon RT's. I dont know what percentage of RT's are lemons just that 100% of the RT's I have had are lemons.

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing, besides limp mode all kind of wierd things were happening including turning the radio on after the bike was shut off for a few minutes. Turned out it was a loose ground cable at the battery. Apparently this has happend a lot, they know exactly where to look! I wonder if they get a warranty from the factory for that? A bit suspicious that if they knew about it why my new bike (300 miles when it started) got out the door like that.

Regards,

Randy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rus44756 View Post
    Good Luck Brother! I have the same problem. It did not start until I had 1100 miles on it and the first time no problem showed up. Now they are saying I am riding the brake which is bogus. I watch my brake foot more than the road. I wish you better luck than me, but I dont think the problem can be fixed. The limp mode renders my spyder useless and seems to be in a certain percentage of the RT's. You can never safely go anywhere because of the randomness of it and the inability of the computer system to tell you what actually caused it. How any engineer or designer could think that shutting down your engine RPM's without warning causing you to lose power suddenly is a safety feature is beyond any reason. I wish whatever genius designed the limp mode could have been in my shoes when mine did that while I was on the inside lane of a 6 lane highway in Dallas. I honestly thought I was going to die. I dont really think BRP has any idea how to fix this problem so the dealers eventually come up with some reason to blame you and stall you off until it runs out of warranty. I know that sounds cynical but that has been my reality. I hope it is not yours. I bought a first year production 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 and never had any problems with it, but the Concours forums were full of people complaining about all kinds of issues. You do have to take negative comments with a grain of salt because I never wrote anything about my functioning Concours, so the percentage of problems is probably lower than it seems on this website. I just happen to be one of the people who got one of the lemon RT's. I dont know what percentage of RT's are lemons just that 100% of the RT's I have had are lemons.

My 2010 has gone into Limp mode around 8 times and has had numerous other problems. It's been into the shop 17 times which includes 2 services. My next step is to invoke the Lemon Law notification before the warranty runs out. Getting tired of the unit being reset with no solution.

Spyder Garage

2010 RT-S
    15,000 trouble free miles

ISSUE Started going into limp mode several times.

FIX After replacing DPS, sensors,etc., still went into limp mode.
    Then wiring harness which extends length of spyder replaced.

RESULT 4,000 trouble free miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
    My 2010 has gone into Limp mode around 8 times and has had numerous other problems. It's been into the shop 17 times which includes 2 services. My next step is to invoke the Lemon Law notification before the warranty runs out. Getting tired of the unit being reset with no solution.
    Spydermimi here in El Paso hoping you had that RT fixed by now so we can all go for a ride, so sorry to hear it still is giving you fits!! Another friend just bought the silver one out at the shop so after he rides for a while lets see how he does, I asked about your situation and they SAID they have not had trouble with any others so who knows??!! So far mine is great and I am riding as much as possible.

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT-S has done the same thing a few times. I've learned to try things like turn the key on and off. Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 15 minutes. Always try these before taking it to your Dealer. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Driving once a week for 10 miles won't fully charge the battery. Connect your battery to a tender.
    Steve

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Agree 100%
    The tender solved my problem.
    The RT is very voltage sensitive. Too much so and RYding doesn't seem to sufficiently charge. I haven't had a problem since using the tender.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder#353 View Post
    My 2010 RT-S has done the same thing a few times. I've learned to try things like turn the key on and off. Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 15 minutes. Always try these before taking it to your Dealer. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Driving once a week for 10 miles won't fully charge the battery. Connect your battery to a tender.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Agree 100%
    The tender solved my problem.
    The RT is very voltage sensitive. Too much so and RYding doesn't seem to sufficiently charge. I haven't had a problem since using the tender.
    There are several other posts on battery tenders vs no tenders. That being said, I have plugged my scoots into a tender for years. I now have my Gold Wing and RT plugged in...and leave them 365/24/7 when not on the road. Check the battery terminals every six months or so to make sure they are tight. They will work loose. This will cure some of our limp mode problems, etc.

I change out my batteries every three years, whether they need it or not. Getting stuck and having to be towed in no fun. Many do not agree with me, but this is what I have done for years and seldom have had a battery related problem.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

No updates

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Note: The MAP sensor hoses can leak and not cause codes. Just something to check.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black