Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Someone please help...

Sorry if this was already covered. I am new to this forum and forums in general so I apologize in advance.

I have a 2009 spyder SM5 that I purchased brand new. I have only a JB pro (set to setting 3) and two bros dual exhaust (aluminum) on the bike and its the only mods I planned to do. BUT, I am having an issue that almost has me taking both off. I am getting some pulsing noise from the exhaust and hesitation in the bike. The weird thing is, is that it only happens when I go somewhere, stop, ride again, stop, ride. Today I took off, rode 10min. Parked it to run into the store came back out started her up (started fine) and when I took off it did it the first time. It has NEVER done it the first ride of the day as long as I don't stop and kick the tires LOL.

Spyder Garage

and on the ryde.

There have been postings about this kind of problem. Use the search engine. I can't point you to a specific thread.

Just wanted to welcome you aboard.

Several of the experts will come on and probably answer your questions.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have found a few threads concerning similar issues but nothing that really narrowed it down. Seems a bit hard to search for my exact issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the jb pro set to map 3 and have no problems with the Hindle exhuast and Evo race air filter.Have you done the canisterectomy?Have you had all the updates done?I did the canisterectomy just before I put the JB pro on and have decided to leave it like this because the bike seems to run much better with the purge valve blocked off.Do a search here for purge valve and canisterectomy and see if this could be your problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

MINE does the same thing, but only when is really hot, in stop and go traffic, but after running open for a few minutes its fine. its like its straving for fuel. because when i give in gas it goes away, then comes back when off gas. its kinda annoying.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    Sorry if this was already covered. I am new to this forum and forums in general so I apologize in advance.

I have a 2009 spyder SM5 that I purchased brand new. I have only a JB pro (set to setting 3) and two bros dual exhaust (aluminum) on the bike and its the only mods I planned to do. BUT, I am having an issue that almost has me taking both off. I am getting some pulsing noise from the exhaust and hesitation in the bike. The weird thing is, is that it only happens when I go somewhere, stop, ride again, stop, ride. Today I took off, rode 10min. Parked it to run into the store came back out started her up (started fine) and when I took off it did it the first time. It has NEVER done it the first ride of the day as long as I don't stop and kick the tires LOL.
    I can only share my own personal experience so here goes;

Same issue! I have a wb air fuel gauge and have been able to visually see what's going on with the mixture when hot. For some reason, the minute you add a free flowing air filter the problems begin. I have noticed that when extremely hot, even with the JB pro, the factory ecm leans out the mix in the 0 to 2% throttle range to the point where it reads 14.7 to over 15 afr. The stumble and roughness shows up when hot. Like 5 bars and above on the temp gauge. I have compensated for this by increasing the JB pro fuel delivery to +5 at 0% throttle(idle) 1500 rpm to 2500rpm, then +7/0% throttle 2750 rpm to 3500 rpm. Up from there my settings are;
    1500 rpm to 3500 rpm/2% to 10% throttle set to 20.
    15-20% throttle same rpm range set to 15
    3750 rpm to 4750rpm 2% to 20% throttle set to 7 For cruising for best mpg. Afr(air to fuel ratio) 13. You don't want the afr over 13.6 as the stumble will rear it's ugly head.

Please keep in mind every bike is different. I have found the ecm is a disaster in that lower rpm and throttle position range once it gets hot and also when you switch to a high flow filter/intake. It gets confused and doesn't know what to do. Even my wife's se5 runs like crap when hot in that range and it is bone stock.

I would also disconnect the battery for 30 min' or so before you make a radical change to the juice box. It will clear the ecm and I have found this helps.

Feel free to PM me I'll try and help. Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that I also modified map 3 in the 2-5% throttle range from idle up to 6000 rpms from 10% to 12% at 2%throttle and 13% at 5 % throttle because I normally run the bike in this throttle position except when accelerating up thru the gears.I also adjusted the closed loop setting to +6.I don't have a wideband o2 sensor so I am adjusting by the seat of my pants but I am happy so far.When it gets really hot like now I get occasional decel pooping but very minimal but the bike doesn't stumble like it did with the original Juicebox.I would be interested in seeing the maps you guys are making using the wideband afr gauge.I agree that each bike is different but sharing this information could help some people who are having trouble.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

New update. After talking to a buddy that is a manager/mechanic at a local bike shop and trouble shooting with him, I simply dialed down the mid dial on the JB pro and it hasn't done it! Dont know if it is chance so far, but I'll take it for now. His reasoning, when it would pulse like that you could crack the throttle and you had all the power that you wanted telling him and I that it is not being starved for fuel and possibly getting to much?? so I dialed it down and it has not happened again!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    I can only share my own personal experience so here goes;

Same issue! I have a wb air fuel gauge and have been able to visually see what's going on with the mixture when hot. For some reason, the minute you add a free flowing air filter the problems begin. I have noticed that when extremely hot, even with the JB pro, the factory ecm leans out the mix in the 0 to 2% throttle range to the point where it reads 14.7 to over 15 afr. The stumble and roughness shows up when hot. Like 5 bars and above on the temp gauge. I have compensated for this by increasing the JB pro fuel delivery to +5 at 0% throttle(idle) 1500 rpm to 2500rpm, then +7/0% throttle 2750 rpm to 3500 rpm. Up from there my settings are;
    1500 rpm to 3500 rpm/2% to 10% throttle set to 20.
    15-20% throttle same rpm range set to 15
    3750 rpm to 4750rpm 2% to 20% throttle set to 7 For cruising for best mpg. Afr(air to fuel ratio) 13. You don't want the afr over 13.6 as the stumble will rear it's ugly head.

Please keep in mind every bike is different. I have found the ecm is a disaster in that lower rpm and throttle position range once it gets hot and also when you switch to a high flow filter/intake. It gets confused and doesn't know what to do. Even my wife's se5 runs like crap when hot in that range and it is bone stock.

I would also disconnect the battery for 30 min' or so before you make a radical change to the juice box. It will clear the ecm and I have found this helps.

Feel free to PM me I'll try and help. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info! I noticed you did a custom intake, cold air supply setup? What did you use and how? My last mod I want to do performance wise is with the air filter and intake to get rid of the oil spray in the air box and obviously better air flow. Just looking for suggestions. Any?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I PM'ed you.