Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is BRP?

Spyder Garage

Default Who is BRP?

Lamont got in today from the BRP dealer’s show in Canada. Picked him up at the airport and he was really tired but he was fired up too.

Not much REALLY impresses Lamont, if you understand my meaning. Believe me, I know. I’ve been trying to impress him since the early 80’s! We won’t go there now.

Anyway, he was really excited about BRP, Can-Am and especially the Spyder. Not that he hasn’t been all along, but I’ve not seen him this fired up for awhile. He’s a pretty level operating kind of guy.

I’ve had some pretty close contact with BRP from the top down. Just because I hang with Lamont, not because of anything I do. And I wish every Spyder owner could meet and interact with BRP management, Tech’s, and customer service personnel like I have had the opportunity to do. This experience is why I have some understanding of why Lamont is so impressed.

We continually hear things like; “What is BRP doing, What are they thinking, Does BRP really care about the customer and their problems?”. Like BRP is this nebulous entity like the BORG or something. The truth is, BRP is an extremely dedicated, tightly knit group of people with a vision, a dream, a purpose, and they have joined together to implement their vision, to make the dream a reality.

Their imagination has become our steel and aluminum stallion which we ride on every road in America, Canada, Australia and who knows were. Their hard work and determination has become our vehicle for friendship, brotherhood and camaraderie with people all over the globe.

So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love. They just aren’t in a position to bare their souls here on this forum as you and I are able to do.

When you spend time with BRP people you cannot miss their passion, and I mean genuine passion for their product. I can say, without a doubt, that I have found this in every BRP person I’ve ever spent any time with, whether it be riding with them, having a meal or just sitting and talking. And they ride this machine, a lot... Do you know how rare this is in a corporate structure?

I know nothing is perfect. I'm sure BRP personnel have their issues. But I am saying that we've got one of the best teams in the world backing us up. Though some things will fall through the cracks, they are trying, and I think they are trying very hard.

Get some rest Lamont, then tell us all about your trip to Canada.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron for the thoughts about BRP. If it weren't for their passion we wouldn't be ryding Spyders. Thanks BRP for helping us enjoy our quest for fun. This machine has been a game changer for many people and many more to come.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Nice write-up Ron T H A N K S

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

If you lost your virginity, do you still have the box it came in?

09 Phantom SM5 LE #108
    My Mods- Corbin Seat, Homemade exhaust, Kury ISO Grips, ISCI passenger floorboards, TRIC LEDS, Evoluzione o2 mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love.

When you spend time with BRP people you cannot miss their passion, and I mean genuine passion for their product. I can say, without a doubt, that I have found this in every BRP person I’ve ever spent any time with, whether it be riding with them, having a meal or just sitting and talking. And they ride this machine, a lot... Do you know how rare this is in a corporate structure?
    And I hope they stay that way I use to work for JanSport back when it had a "family feel". Warehouse grunts elbow to elbow with VP's hanging at happy hour. Didn't last. Hope this does.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I believe what you say about yourself and Lamont,
    but as for BRP they don't have a frigin clue. They have hit an absolute home run with the spyder, but unfortunately they have been caught with their balls hanging out of their shorts and now they look like a deer in the headlights.. They have no clue...what to do...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

To me is seems that you and Lamont receive some benefit from the BRP for the posts both of you make praising Spyders. I have been driving my own cars from when I was 16 years old and I am now 86. Not once did I ever find in one of my cars or the vehicles I would buy for our business the magnitude of problems that I have had or about those that are written to this page by other Spyder owners. I can't understand why so many anonymous messages with nickname signatures are allowed/printed like this one I am answering. I sign my complaints and thoughts. I'm not ashamed of them. If any known vehicle manufacturer received the percentage of complaints that Spyder owners have against the Spyder manufacturer, that are not corrected by the manufacturer, I'm sure that company would have to close down. And that's where the Can Am Spyder line is headed. Signed: Arthur S. Cohen, Ibsen 72, Mexico City, Mexico 11560

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    To me is seems that you and Lamont receive some benefit from the BRP for the posts both of you make praising Spyders. I have been driving my own cars from when I was 16 years old and I am now 86. Not once did I ever find in one of my cars or the vehicles I would buy for our business the magnitude of problems that I have had or about those that are written to this page by other Spyder owners. I can't understand why so many anonymous messages with nickname signatures are allowed/printed like this one I am answering. I sign my complaints and thoughts. I'm not ashamed of them. If any known vehicle manufacturer received the percentage of complaints that Spyder owners have against the Spyder manufacturer, that are not corrected by the manufacturer, I'm sure that company would have to close down. And that's where the Can Am Spyder line is headed. Signed: Arthur S. Cohen, Ibsen 72, Mexico City, Mexico 11560
    Very well spoken, you deserve a 100 lot of silver libertad's for you perfect statement

Spyder Garage

Ron- I'm hijacking the thread....

Arthur- I own a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. First edition of a luxury car for Hyundai. Check GenesisOwners.com to validate what I'm about to say.... Since 2009 there have been SO MANY complaints about the car, dealers and Hundai. I dare say more than i've seen here about BRP. I've had my share of new edition issues and stupidity from Hundai. But it still got 2009 car of the year. And I still love my Genesis. My point is I'm seeing potential when you see 'close the doors because they're idiots'.

When I have an employee that s screws up and costs me money ( one guy cost me $100k). People ask if I'm going to fire the guy. Hell NO!! that's one less mistake he'll make in the future. I've just invested in that guy and I'm not going to trash that investment.

I'll say this.... I believe Ron and Lamont. I CHOOSE to believe them because I see that they are trying to help US, not by masking anything, but by offering suggestions and help to ALL of us, members and BRP alike.

I have no idea if Lamont has income from BRP. I don't care! BECAUSE I've met him and see his character and his heart. He also doesn't hold back his opinion, good or bad. I'm 100% positive that he has also given BRP more than one earful. And his motivation?.... To make the product better, make the dealer chain better, give ALL OF US better rides.
    Phil Burks
    Tyler Texas

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Arthur, signed or not I can't agree with anything you said. Love our Spyder and appreciate what they do and how they attempt to remedy what is wrong.
    Perfect ? No, what or who is. Does the Co. have things to learn when it comes to customer service ? Absolutely. Hope to see things continue to improve.
    We've been very happy with how our Spyder has perfomed and have had no real issues. Our dealer is great. Do feel bad for those that have had issues or delays in repair.
    Mike
    Last edited by Saluda; 07-15-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Who is BRP

Nicely put and my sentiments exactly. Only had my Spyder a few weeks so am still getting acclimated to it. But I can assure you it is FUN-FUN-FUN to drive. Problems Hell Yes. Just litle nagging things but quickly corrected by my dealer. I only hope BRP takes heed of suggestions and complaints.

Lamont recently listed improvements people have hoped to happen and I'm sure as time goes on that will happen. As the saying goes "patience is a virtue" so wait and see.\

Do I miss my Harley of course. But stability on tired legs more than makes up for it. I'm still able to ryde safely and enjoy the fresh air.

Spyder Garage

Just my opinion..........I think that the reason many of us have a better experience that others is because we have a GREAT DEALER between us and BRP. Mine does a lot to keep me happy all the time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I believe both Ron and Lamont... Sometimes it takes a while for all of the pieces of the puzzle to fall into place, and I think that they'll stay with it until it's all there...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Thanks Ron for the thoughts about BRP. If it weren't for their passion we wouldn't be ryding Spyders. Thanks BRP for helping us enjoy our quest for fun. This machine has been a game changer for many people and many more to come.
    Well said.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Lamont got in today from the BRP dealer’s show in Canada. Picked him up at the airport and he was really tired but he was fired up too.

Not much REALLY impresses Lamont, if you understand my meaning. Believe me, I know. I’ve been trying to impress him since the early 80’s! We won’t go there now.

Anyway, he was really excited about BRP, Can-Am and especially the Spyder. Not that he hasn’t been all along, but I’ve not seen him this fired up for awhile. He’s a pretty level operating kind of guy.

I’ve had some pretty close contact with BRP from the top down. Just because I hang with Lamont, not because of anything I do. And I wish every Spyder owner could meet and interact with BRP management, Tech’s, and customer service personnel like I have had the opportunity to do. This experience is why I have some understanding of why Lamont is so impressed.

We continually hear things like; “What is BRP doing, What are they thinking, Does BRP really care about the customer and their problems?”. Like BRP is this nebulous entity like the BORG or something. The truth is, BRP is an extremely dedicated, tightly knit group of people with a vision, a dream, a purpose, and they have joined together to implement their vision, to make the dream a reality.

Their imagination has become our steel and aluminum stallion which we ride on every road in America, Canada, Australia and who knows were. Their hard work and determination has become our vehicle for friendship, brotherhood and camaraderie with people all over the globe.

So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love. They just aren’t in a position to bare their souls here on this forum as you and I are able to do.

I know nothing is perfect. I'm sure BRP personnel have their issues. But I am saying that we've got one of the best teams in the world backing us up. Though some things will fall through the cracks, they are trying, and I think they are trying very hard.

Get some rest Lamont, then tell us all about your trip to Canada.

Well said, Ron!!!

I have also personally had the opportunity to meet some of the great BRP folks in Valcourt, Magog and Sheerbrooke in 2010. Just fantastic folks, great work ethic and a great sense of passion of what they do. Amazing time at SpyderFest 2010 setting the record last year and meeting and Spyder Ryding with the BRP folks, including Danny, Carlo, Chaz, Mark and more. Keep up the great work BRP guys/gals. Wish I could have been at the recent festival in Montreal.

Cheers and all the best from Newfoundland!!!
    Dean

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your thoughts on BRP, I for one, am very happy with my dealer and BRP. Has my ryde been perfect, No. Got stranded with a bad solenoid last year, but it got fixed in a reasonable time, and life goes on. I can certainly understand that people have had problems with their spyders and that their are dealers out there that are far less than perfect, but some of the complaining seems to me to be over the top. If you have major mechanical issues and want to b--ch about BRP, that's cool, I get it, but someone the other day on this forum went on a two paragraph rant because their Spyder squeaked when he backed up! Good god, really, is it that big a deal? Squeaking? Get some ear plugs. I'm just saying that some people have legitimate complaints about bad service and product quality, but many have totally unrealistic expectations. I can tell you from a snowmobiling background, any new first run models are usually problem filled, but for some of us, that is half the fun.
    Anyway, thanks BRP for this great imperfect three legged freak you call the spyder, I for one am a fan.
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by packbuckbrew View Post
    I can tell you from a snowmobiling background, any new first run models are usually problem filled, but for some of us, that is half the fun.
    Since you're coming from a sledding perspective you already know how well BRP can build Ski Doos.. There's no doubt that improvements will be made...

(and I rode Polaris!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3341 View Post
    Just my opinion..........I think that the reason many of us have a better experience that others is because we have a GREAT DEALER between us and BRP. Mine does a lot to keep me happy all the time!
    I agree 100% that a good pleasing dealer for his customers makes the world of difference. In reading a lot of comments IE: 2-3 trips for same problems until I changed dealers kind of bears this out. My question is that those kinds of dealers are inept or just don't give a damn?

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ron but then I have been a fan of BRP (Bombardier) for years. My first ski-doo I bought in 1969.

I believe that through the years BRP has been a leader in the powersport industry. People have their brand loyalty and not everyone rides a BRP product. But whatever sled, 4 wheeler or personal watercraft you ride, BRP innovation led to improvements in those other products you ride, especially the snowmobile.

People complain about the issues the Spyder has. They make comments like... If Honda or BMW or insert your favorite manufacturer here, had come out with a product like the Spyder there wouldn't be these problems. Well guess what? THEY DIDN'T!! They didn't have the balls, vision or the engineering to pull it off. And if another company had come up with this idea first, don't kid yourself, they would be having problems also. In the early years of the snowmobile (yea I was there for that), you would ride them for two days and work on them for three.

On the negative side is the concern over the dealer network. There needs to be a lot of improvement here. These issues in my opinion would probably not exist if we were dealing with Honda, Harley or BMW. Six to eight or more weeks to fix a problem is unacceptable. I am lucky I have a good dealer. If it took that long to fix one of my sleds the winter would pretty much be over.

Thank you BRP for the Spyder. Except for the snowmobile, this is the most enjoyment I have had on anything with a gasoline engine.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I now have 18,000 fun truble free miles on my RT. I have taken trips, met people, and seen sights that I would never have seen. I use the Spyder for everything from running errands to a 6000 mile cross county trip. The key to me is having a good dealer who will work with you. This is not close to my most troublesome vehicle, my problem vehicle was a 2005 VW, when the problems finally got to me I traded it. If the Spyder ever got to the point that the problems became even a minor focus of my life it would be gone, life is to short. Next trip is Yellowstone in September.

Dan

Spyder Garage

Perhaps because I haven't had any problems with BRP, I don't have an opinion about them. I'm certain they're great people passionate about their work. I certainly love their Spyder!

Alas, the "rubber meets the road" in the dealer network, which has been demonstrably hit-or-miss since the beginning. But even there, I can't blame BRP all that much.

Think about it from the car owner's perspective: how many car dealers and service centers, irrespective of the major automaker brand they're associated with, try to rip off their customers, swindle them, even outright lie to them? Perhaps I'm too cynical, but in a cuthroat business, I would not be shocked if the simple majority of car dealers have their fair share of shady employees and practices. Certainly, my anecodotal experience has shown that.

Well, motorcycle & pleasurecraft dealers are not immune to the same pressures. For every great dealer, you've got your bad one. For every great salesperson, you find a sloppy one. For every awesome tech, you find one who slept through their class and just wants to earn their paycheck. It's human nature, whether we're talking Honda, Harley, or BRP.

Of course, that doesn't let BRP off the hook from "minding their store," as it were. And we owners have to hold their feet to the fire to always improve their product and service.

Most of all, BRP needs a *larger and deeper* dealer network, with more training *and* more local competition. But that will take time.

Okay, one more thing: IMPROVE THE PARTS DISTRIBUTION NETWORK PLEASE. That's important, guys. A month in the shop is unacceptable.

Bottom line: little else turns me off as fast on a forum than hyperbolic, one-size-fits-all statements about dealers and service. Yes, there are some dealers out there who are 100% rotten to the very core. Then there are dealers that simply have an off day, and you just pulled the short end of the stick. Sadly, it happens, and I for one can't always bring myself to "blame Canada"
    Last edited by daveinva; 07-15-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many of you former Honda or Harley riders or car owners can say that you have met the head of their Customer Service Department or shaken hands with the companies Head Technical Service guy? Or talked to the company CEO about riding in the rain? I doubt any of you can but I have talked to each of these folks from BRP and I know that a lot of you have too.

Has there been issues with the Spyders well yes of course there has. The difference is that Harley and the others have been making motorcycles since Jesus was a baby and they have had many years to work out their dealer and product issues. The Spyder is still an infant give them some time to work out the kinks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Spyder is still an infant give them some time to work out the kinks.
    Are WE part of the infant education?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

That’s great about BRP, I wish they could transfer there enthusiasm, passion and customer service to the dealerships working on them. When the middle man (dealership)sucks it doesn’t do me any good since I don’t deal with BRP directly
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

Joseph Armand Bombadier was a businessman from another generation and a French Canadian. Canadian's in my experience are very different folk from us. They are generally a bit kinder and gentler and still take pride in what they do. Plus his company was a family business from the beginning.

I say this only because my only concern with this fine toy, and its been proven now by experience, is the shoddy network of dealers that has represented it.

I am sure the folk at corporate are wonderful and courteous. No doubt at all. But its the dealer and service network that needs the attention and that is almost impossible to control until there are dedicated dealers like for Harley and other major bikes. I am sure I am not the only one who bought my Spyder from a Honda dealer.

And also I am not sure why we need to feel good about the company. If you go to the Jaguar factory or the Harley factory or the BMW factory you will find excited motivated people. And if they give you the grand tour and wine and dine you it's even more exciting. There is really no relationship between that and the quality and service of a product in the field.

What I want to see is the Fab Five begin to complain about service because they get the same service quality a lot of us do.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black