Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What my Spyder senses tell me about BRP ....

Hi All,

I have been lurking in this forum since the start of the year. I have a huge itch to buy a RSS ... actually loving the new green.

Here's where I am coming from:

I just sold my 2010 Vespa GTS300 Super this spring, not because I didn't like the ride but rather because Piaggio has brutal customer service and terrible dealer networks in Canada.

I have been holding off on my purchase of a to see what the 2012 line-up would bring ... BRP brags about how they listen to their customers and use their feedback to improve the experience and technology.

I am in my mid 30's and just want a toy from a company that would at the very least, stand by my purchase and be there for me when their product (my toy) fails. I am in sales and I would not have a job if my company didn't back up my customers in a similar fashion. (I do love my Sea-Doo boat)

So now I sit back and watch BRP getting away with doing almost none of the recommendations that I have seen that members in this forum asked for ('12 line-up), ignore their most valued possessions (YOU) when you need them most, and let their dealer network weaken and become over burdened.

Has anyone noticed what happened to RIM (Blackberry)? A company that thought they had the market cornered on a product and just stopped innovating?

How about Canon in the copier market (Service Disaster)? Toyota and quality control?

My point is that behemoths and companies first to market will fall if they forget where they came from and how they got there ... I did a few case studies on Bombardier during my MBA and I won't even start on how intertwined they are with government funds and spending them on foolish partnerships and acquisitions.

I'm not running out to buy Spyder until I know that you guys are getting the support you need and BRP starts improving the technology they have been riding on since the inception of this beast.

Final Thoughts:

I will remain a lurker and hope that the feedback from you improves on how BRP and your toys treat you.

This forum is amazing and Lamonster & Carlos right now are bearing enormous weight that BRP should be carrying and supporting far stronger. I do accept that there are many happy riders and flawless Spyders on the road but I judge a company on how it reacts when things go bad.

Keep up the good work here and I hope to be riding with you soon,

Chodarider
    Last edited by Chodarider; 07-12-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Thank you for your input!

I hope I can shed a little light on this... BRP hit a grand slam when they released the RT. They really did. And when that happens it is near impossible to have that big of an impact again, that sometimes can rub folks the wrong way.

Can the RT and RS improve? Yes. Do we know at what cost and if the majority of owners or potential owners it would increase or decrease sales by? Nope.

At the end of the day it is this simple. The majority of those that test drive these amazing machines buy one. Regardless of any changes that may or may not happen. I think you are wise in holding out for the "One" you want.

Lastly, I actually feel that BRP is listening. There was a time I did not feel this way, but I no longer do. Will they make all the changes we want? Nope, no car company or Motorcycle company has ever been successful doing that. But by continuing to innovate and make improvements, they will succeed. We need BMW or Yamaha to bring out their reverse trike, then you will see BRP o all in on changes.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While I have to admit I would like to see some ergonomic and technical changes to my RS model I also understand that the techs who work on our machines have just been slammed the past year or two. Most of the techs were not originally trained on Spyders but water craft and four wheelers. when the GS/RS came out it was tough enough for them to get on board and then the RT hit in some very major numbers and with a lot of additional complexity. I think that BRP was caught thinking that they would sell a few but not as many as has gone out the door. We all need to understand that the mindset is different for a recreational dealer whose customer base use their machines a few times during the warmer months versus a motorcycle dealer whose customers use their machines as a daily driver in many cases in all weather extremes. I believe BRP and many of the smaller dealers are getting on board with this concept, while some haven't a clue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi I live in Australia, If you are not mechanically minded you soon will be if you buy a Spyder.
    I think the concept is great and I like riding it, but I did not even get home on my RT, from the dealer, before check dps and oil light came on. Next day limp home mode, so back to the dealer 450 klm round trip, night in Motel.
    Then belt vibration and front stay touching frame, back to dealer.
    I took all the panels off next because stay was still touching, belt not tracking properly, hard right on rear wheel sprocket, hard left on drive sprocket.
    Insulated exhaust system and petrol tank, also made heat guard up for brake master cylinder which was cooking itself from exhaust heat only inches away, like lots of other items.
    Bought and fitted belt tensioner to stop slap vibration under load, great fun.
    Now I find the back brake is binding which it has done since day one, no wonder a lot of owners are lucky to see 10,000 klms from a set of pads and crap mpg, the set up has no return springs that I could see, and except judicious use of spray can, I would have to fit spring between pads on slide rods, which some owners have done to overcome this problem.
    Made up and fitted heat deflectors to help reduce cooking right foot.
    I have had the Bike 6 weeks and ask myself why should I have to be doing this on a very exspensive Can Am Spyder, do they listen to you at Can Am, I do not think so. The first test drive of this machine at the factory on day one, would have cooked the said right foot, to say nothing of your crutch, did they do anything about it, no, have they done anything years later, no. would I trust it over large touring distences we have in Australia!!!!! it has yet to prove itself, so we will see, but my gut feeling is that as it has proved in the 6 weeks I have owned it, so it will go on into the future. I hope I am proved wrong, but I have contacted other Spyder owners in this area, and I am not alone with the above, far from it, if you are not a hands on type of person just enjoy the reading.
    Some problems could be expected from a high tech machine, but most problems are basic engineering not rocket science, that is the annoying part, I have just retired from engineering, so at least I am able to get down and dirty! sorry if the above offends the die hards out there, I hope in a year or so I will look on my Spyder the same, I do hope so. good riding Don

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of suggestions for improvements out there. Some are good. There are some that I, for one, would not want. A manufacturer can't respond to every owners' whim. BRP has been very responsive in improving and modifying the Spyder in these first few, short years. I know of no other manufacturer who has done as much...many do nothing. This is not like the autos of the Fifties, when there was a new model every year or two. This is only the fourth season for the GS/RS, and the second for the RT.

Also remember that what you see and hear on the Internet is magnified many times. Although you will see complaints here about the dealer network, in general it is strong...much stronger than Piaggio is in North America. It is not at the level of Honda or Harley, but it is stronger than the problems posted here would seem to indicate. Remember that there are far more Spyders on the road than there are strong complaints posted here. Although a company may want to strive for zero failures or complaints...it never happens that way in real life. BRP seems to be doing well in that department. There are exceptions...as there are with any vehicle. If anything, BRP is suffering from Spyder growing pains more than lack of paying attention to their customers, IMO.

Thanks for coming out of the shadows and finally posting here. I hope you can find a comfort level that will help you move to a Spyder soon. I would suggest getting to know your area dealer better. Some time spent shopping there and talking to their service department, may help. And if you can, take a test ride. You will probably be hooked, like the rest of us.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

There are problems and they do seem to get magnified in internet forums.

Also agree that they cant put everything on the new 's that is on the the 'wish list" of Spyder owners.

I am disappointed that the 2012 improvements seem to be cosmetic (new instrument cluster background color and some new colors that most don't like on the RT models).

I was hoping for the bigger engine option in what is now year 3 of the RTS.

It will be interesting to see what happens when and if, one of the "other" manufacturers come out with a reverse trike.

I am trying not to complain--but am a bit disappointed.

PS: Welcome Chodarider
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome Chodarider! The Spyder is a great concept. The Y configuration was the thing that got me interested in it in the first place. However, 1 year down the road the experience is not what I had hoped for. The machine simply isn't what it could be. The amazing folks on this site have provided incredible expertise and comaraderie which I value a great deal. However, If I knew then what I know now about these machines I would not have bought them. I do not have a large list of pie-in-the-sky improvements to submit; rather I just wish BRP would actually fix the things that are wrong with the design they have now. And there is plenty to fix. But I just don't see that happening. Nor do I see any improvement in the dealer support network, BRP customer support infrastructure or the parts distribution situation. At this point I feel that these are the weakest areas of the whole deal. So if you are actually relying on this machine to be anything other than a toy you will be disappointed big time.

I have to agree with others that at this pont the only thing that is going to light a fire under BRP's rear end is when they start getiing their lunch eaten by a competitive design that can deliver better performance, range and reliability. I truly hope I am proven wrong because I want to again be as enthusiastic about the Spyder as I was when I rode them off the show room floor. In the mean time, it is parked and will only be used sparingly, which is sad considering the cost of these machines. I have moved on to another machine that is delivering the goods.

Good luck to you.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my RT-S if it was not for the I would not be riding a motorcycle as neck issues make the RT-S the best choice for me. When I buy my toys I agree that service and Manufacture support are paramount. I have found a great dealer near me that looks after my needs and has some great techs to diagnose and fix in a timely manner . There was a dealer 2 min away from me but I chose to deal with the one that was 45 min away because I felt that he had a better service department. The shop rates are not the cheapest around but I get great service and thats what matters to me.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

I guess I was like the guy in Australia. I put about two hundred miles on my Spyder I had enough already in the garage it went took off panels first i tackled the heat issue wrapped pipes rad fix for heat removed bottom panels, was tired already of my roasted foot and crotch. i replaced the seat with a Corbin,next came the brake so I installed a hydraulic hand brake.Then I had a battery issue I bought this as a 09 left over it had a 08 battery which left me stranded in the middle of no where so I bought a battery. The dealer did not want to cover so I got BRP on the horn after a few calls I was surprised I got a check in the mail from the dealer. I added the handle bars so my back felt better and adjustable windshield so my head did not look like a bobble head. Thank goodness I am mechanically inclined or as the song says I would owe my sole to the company store.If I am going to ride this thing I have learned I need a stash of consumables.Not saying Harley is the greatest but all the years I owned it I did not worry about wheel bearings, belts, or front pulley replacements.Next I am working on footrests.