Thread: Brake Failure

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure

Brake Failure light came on while conquering some of the mountain roads here in NC this past Saturday. Fluid level is fine and I have adequate braking. Also, no noises. I have almost 16k on Charlotte ('08 GS) and this is the first indication like this that I have had. Brake sensor maybe? Anyone else experienced this?
    Rather carve than cruise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ltownblue View Post
    Brake Failure light came on while conquering some of the mountain roads here in NC this past Saturday. Fluid level is fine and I have adequate braking. Also, no noises. I have almost 16k on Charlotte ('08 GS) and this is the first indication like this that I have had. Brake sensor maybe? Anyone else experienced this?
    I don't know, but I had the same thing happen at 12k... Fluid looked fine... I poured in 1 ounce, maybe a bit more and message stopped popping up.

It is one or the other, either the sensor or actual fluid level. Have you tried topping it of just a hair?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I have had the same thing happen to me a couple of times coming down the steep Hatcher Pass Road here in AK. I think it has to do with the fluid not being level when encountering steep roads.

Happened on both my 2008 GS and 2010 RTS.

The light coming on when you are going down a steep mountain can be a bit unnerving though.

Pulled over--re-started the Spyder and no additional problems.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Double check that fluid level. It will often look full, but trigger a warning. getting this warning on a steep grade or under hard braking is almost always a low fluid level condition.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks gentlemen. Unfortunately, the failure indication didn't go off when I was back on flat ground and didn't go off after powering down and restarting. I will try to squeeze a little more fluid in the reservoirs and see if that does the trick. Much obliged.
    Rather carve than cruise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would it flash "EBD failure" if the fluid was too high???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had this same thing happen to me and once it started I had to have it cleared every 50 miles of so until the dealer finally found the problem. It was something with the way the calipers or somethign where handled when the brakes where replaced.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also had brake problems but of a different nature. I had to lightly pump the brake pedal a bit to get it up high. The master brake cylinder had to be replace under guarantee. Mine is a 2008 GS SE5 with 4,500 km on it. And then there's the high temperatures on my feet. That even caused the expansion tank to explode 3 weeks ago in extremely heavy traffic instead of the relief valve in the water cap releasing the pressure. After 10 days I am still waiting for the replacement parts' costs from the agency.