Spyder Garage

Default Direct wiring ipod to battery

What wiring harness did you use/make??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thought you just got a fuzeblock
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I did. What I need is wiring harness from Fuzeblock to ipod. Voltage must be stepped down from 12vdc to 5vdc to power/charge the ipod.

Spyder Garage

If you have an RT with an audio system, why not just plug the iPod into the iPod terminal in the rear trunk, using the iPod adapter cable, which also charges the iPod? As an alternative, you can purchase a cigarette to USB adapter to charge the iPod via the 12V trunk outlet, or plug a 120V converter in the outlet and use the same 120 V charger you use at home.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I've got a 12v "cig lighter socket" with alligator clips on the ends hooked up to my battery and plug the Garmin in under the seat. It is functional, but not "technologically correct" or pretty. I use it for my cell phone too. Plug in a cig lighter to USB converter and it's all set.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you have an RT with an audio system, why not just plug the iPod into the iPod terminal in the rear trunk, using the iPod adapter cable, which also charges the iPod? As an alternative, you can purchase a cigarette to USB adapter to charge the iPod via the 12V trunk outlet, or plug a 120V converter in the outlet and use the same 120 V charger you use at home.
    Scotty is correct on all points. The cig to USB handles the voltage change and isolates things nicely. I split the trunk 12v into 3 outlets, have 3 cig -to- USB converters installed powering iPhone, one Bluetooth transmitter as well as my TomTom. Clean, techno correct and easy to do.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL when connecting ANYTHING directly to the battery!!!! Using existing outlets makes sure fusing is in place. This lowers the fire factor

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My passenger wants to be connected to full time power while she is actually using her ipod. I am aware that I can use the runck to charge stuff. I am looking at installing a powerlet plug next to the rear grip heater control and connect that to my Fuzeblock. Then use a powerlet adapter cable made specifically for the ipod to plug in ipod when needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    My passenger wants to be connected to full time power while she is actually using her ipod. I am aware that I can use the runck to charge stuff. I am looking at installing a powerlet plug next to the rear grip heater control and connect that to my Fuzeblock. Then use a powerlet adapter cable made specifically for the ipod to plug in ipod when needed.
    Got it. I would highly recommend either connecting a Powerlet outlet directly to the battery with their harness, or to a fuse block. The use of the Powerlet iPod cable will complete the setup, and the whole thing will be quite reliable. I swear by all the Powerlet products! If you don't have the Spyder comm system, the Powerlet looks like it will install readily in the passenger comm outlet knockout in the left passenger grip panel.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty you got it. I think that is the way to go. I really don't think I should try to build a wired connection myself although I am smart enough to do so. Agree?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Scotty is correct on all points. The cig to USB handles the voltage change and isolates things nicely. I split the trunk 12v into 3 outlets, have 3 cig -to- USB converters installed powering iPhone, one Bluetooth transmitter as well as my TomTom. Clean, techno correct and easy to do.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL when connecting ANYTHING directly to the battery!!!! Using existing outlets makes sure fusing is in place. This lowers the fire factor

What did you use to split the trunk twelve volt to three outlets?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Scotty you got it. I think that is the way to go. I really don't think I should try to build a wired connection myself although I am smart enough to do so. Agree?
    That's what I do if it is feasible. If you do elect to go with a fuse block, too, you can purchase not only the Powerlet from Eastern Beaver, but all the pre-assembled and sheathed wiring to make the installation virtually plug-n-play.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ijon1 View Post
    What did you use to split the trunk twelve volt to three outlets?
    Pep Boys, Radio Shack and others have pre- made splitters. They have a cig plug then 1-2' of wire, then 2-3 outlets in a housing. like this or with wire.