Thread: Moles on paint.

Spyder Garage

Default Moles on paint.

Anyone else here get black moles (that don't come out) that pop up on your paint? Possibly from dirt or pebbles or where does it come from?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by illuzion View Post
    Anyone else here get black moles (that don't come out) that pop up on your paint? Possibly from dirt or pebbles or where does it come from?
    That's the plastic panel showing through where the paint has chipped away. I had some deep scratches in parts of mine where some stuff fell on it in the garage, so I used it as an excuse to get a paint job. I wanted blue before BRP made a blue spyder.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, chips, really noticeable with the yellow,The panels are black underneath.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Bean View Post
    That's the plastic panel showing through where the paint has chipped away. I had some deep scratches in parts of mine where some stuff fell on it in the garage, so I used it as an excuse to get a paint job. I wanted blue before BRP made a blue spyder.
    Okay, here is my stupidity showing. I have looked at both sides of the trunk, and they are both blue. It looks to me like BRP used blue plastic to make the trunk (it is the only plastic I have looked at both sides). From what I am reading I guess I am wrong, so why don't BRP do this to save on paint chips?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Okay, here is my stupidity showing. I have looked at both sides of the trunk, and they are both blue. It looks to me like BRP used blue plastic to make the trunk (it is the only plastic I have looked at both sides). From what I am reading I guess I am wrong, so why don't BRP do this to save on paint chips?
    I think they probably look at cost before they look at what would be better to stand up to paint chips. I know my panels were all made of black plastic, then painted. Unless something has changed, I'm assuming things are still the same.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

Good thing I have the 3M film on the front part of the spyder. But it looks like the side panels are taking hits (showing moles). I should've covered the whole side panels with 3M as well.

Spyder Garage

Default plastic pigment

the colorant for plastic is V E R Y expensive.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Color matched paint for Spyders available here, anything from touch up to spray gun.
    http://www.colorrite.com/
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

So funny, I used the polisher spray from BRP and the mole came right out. It was just tough dirt that the pledge wipes couldn't pick up. Oh pledge, thought you could pick up all dirt.

Spyder Garage

If they stick up, they are probably tar. If they are indented, they are chips.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If they stick up, they are probably tar. If they are indented, they are chips.
    The size of it is similar to a mole, so it's hard to tell if it's sticking out or not. I usually try wiping it with a pledge wipe, then if that doesn't work I use the BRP polisher with a microfiber towel.

Spyder Garage

The size of it is similar to a mole, so it's hard to tell if it's sticking out or not. I usually try wiping it with a pledge wipe, then if that doesn't work I use the BRP polisher with a microfiber towel.
    Pull the edge of your fingernail across it. You can usually feel it better that way. A nail will catch more on the leading edge of a bump, and the trailing edge of a divot.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!