Thread: Tire life?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire life?

My first post so here it goes. My spyder has just under 12k miles and the front tires still look new, the rear...not so much. Is this normal mileage for the tires? Thanks....PS.under 5 burnouts.

Spyder Garage

That is typical.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

This sounds about normal for the OEM tire. Most will be replaced between 11,000 and 15,000 miles, they are being replaced with several different manufactures. Do a search here. There is a lot of information on different tires.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

4/1 back/front tire life.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    4/1 back/front tire life.
    That's not so bad at all...!
    I always replaced BOTH tires at the same on mi motorcycles to prevent handling issues.

This sounds like -SAVINGS- right there!
    Ride safe and often!

[IMG]//C:/Users/Lenny/Downloads/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]

Spyder Garage

can't answer your question, only have a little over 9000 miles on mine but I agree it seems to be normal.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire wear

I'm replacing mine this Summer at 12K. I was going to wait until the Fall, but if we have any important rain, I don't want to be stuck with low tread.

BTW, the fronts work fine.

Spyder Garage

Pardon my French. What the hell are you guys doing that is prematurely wearing out the rear tire?? I have 6000 miles on Spydey and the tire looks brand new.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced my rear tire at 12,000. Although the wear is uneven on the fronts they still have tread left.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Most have said this is the normal replacement mileage. Not premature. Part of the problem is the thinner construction of this "special" motorcycle tire. At speed, it tends to expand in the center and wear unevenly. I invite you to take your tread depth guage and measure all the way across the tire. If you see that it is completely even, you need to share your tire pressure, average speed driven, and any other pertinent details that can help others. Your case is definitely not the status quo. However, I bet that you'll notice that the center definitely shows more wear than the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Pardon my French. What the hell are you guys doing that is prematurely wearing out the rear tire?? I have 6000 miles on Spydey and the tire looks brand new.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder28 View Post
    My first post so here it goes. My spyder has just under 12k miles and the front tires still look new, the rear...not so much. Is this normal mileage for the tires? Thanks....PS.under 5 burnouts.
    I have an 08 Gs 18 thousand miles on the front, looks like they'll go another 5. The rear i change at 17.5 k. On any of my two wheelers i would have to get new tires at depending on the bike at 3 to 6k.
    My VTX[1800] would eat up the front tire at 3k.

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine with an 08 was in front of me, leaving a stop sign, he thought he was shfting normally, as he has on all his bikes, but he was smoking the rear tire a little in the first 3 gears. He's been a lot gentler on his clutch lately.

john

Spyder Garage

While we're on the discussion of changing tires, I'm curious what everyone is changing while they have the assembly torn apart. I changed the bearings and seals, along with the outer spacers, at my first tire change. I wonder when the rubber dampers between the rim and pulley should be changed? Just wondering what others' thoughts are.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

spydee owner

I changed the rear original tire on my '08 gs at 45000 km ... thats about 27000 miles. That included about a dozen burnouts. So, yeah, I agree with cougar, what the hell are you guys doing to wear these tires out so fast?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking WOW!

Thanks for all the info so fast! I was expecting two or three days before i got any replyes!

Spyder Garage

Tire wear seems to be in the ball park. I have replaced rear tires on all three of my in that range. 08 got one at 12,000 miles, 09 got one at 13,000 miles and my 10 got one at 15,000 miles.

Front tires on the 08 and 09 were replaced at about 15,000 miles.

Front tires on my 10 are still going at 17,000 miles.

I am using stock BRP tires. Others have had success with aftermarket tires. There are some threads about other tires. Use the search feature.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Over the course of 44,000 miles I have used 4 OEM tires and 2 of the Kendas. Got about 7,500 out of each of the OEM tires, slightly less out of each of the Kendas. That's good for a 7,300 mile average for six tires. Front tires good till just over 20,000, about there again. That gives me more like a 3:1 ratio of front to rear longevity. My dealer tells me I go thru tires faster than most of the others. And we don't pull them any too soon, the rears are really smooth in the middle when they do come off. The fronts typically wear quicker on the inside edge IME.

I NEVER do burn outs, but do accellerate hard, ride fast and brake hard. And I weigh 240 lbs. Nothing crazy or stupid, just working it "briskly". But I would love to be able to get 10,000 miles out of a rear tire.

Spyder Garage

I replaced my back tire at 14500, and my front tires at 20000.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    I changed the rear original tire on my '08 gs at 45000 km ... thats about 27000 miles. That included about a dozen burnouts. So, yeah, I agree with cougar, what the hell are you guys doing to wear these tires out so fast?
    Must be the Canadian roads... I replaced my rear tire at 43.000km and am just going to have the front tires changed at 64,000 km. The right side is wearing more than the left, but we'll do both of them. Suprised that the prices are so good! $190 for both fronts and the rear was only about $185

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

previous two wheel experience... two rear to one front; since all of the forward pull is one the rear. PSI is a HUGE factor in tire lonegivty. CHECK THEM OFTEN !!! COLD

there is a + or - factor of 2; which may give you a little latitude on what
    you set yours at.

but not checking PSI... WILL lead to a rude awakening, when moving in and out of turns. there will be some slop in the feel of the handling. and since nitrogen doesn't expand or contract to as large a degree as air...
    that might also be an option for that factor in tire wear.

just my opinion...

Spyder Garage

I got 10,000 miles out of the stock rear tire and about 15,000 out of a Kumho rear tire (just installed the second Kumho this spring) and still have the stock front tires on at 35,000.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.