Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cluster update and temp readings after- time to eat some crow

Well I hate being wrong but I'll be the first to tell you when I am.

There have been quite a few post about the temp bar reading hotter after the cluster update was done to fix the odometer rolling over at 62,137 miles. I said there was no way that this update made the Spyder run hotter and I was right and wrong at the same time but mostly wrong. I wouldn't have given this a second look if it wasn't for BajaRon saying he noticed after we both had our clusters updated that his Spyder was running a bar or so higher. I never watch my bar because I have a temp gauge and I keep a close eye on it and I didn't notice any change. So we get to our dealer yesterday and ask him if he saw the same thing after the update and he said he didn't notice a change but he did hear there was suppose to be a fix for that coming. So now I'm really wanting to know whats going on so I took the RS/GS out today and kept a close eye on both my temp gauge and the bar gauge in the cluster and sure enough it has changed.

Here's what it read before the cluster update and after. Before is in Red and after is in Black

@175 degrees I hit 4 bars

@110 degrees I hit 4 bars

@197 degrees I hit 5 bars

@172 degrees I hit 5 bars

@202 degrees the fan came on

@200 degrees the fan came on

@190 degrees the fan kicked off

@188 degrees the fan kicked off

I also noted that my ambient temperature was reading higher between 12 to 14 degrees compared to the bank clocks.

So what does all this mean?
    Forsure if you're now seeing 5 bars sooner than before the updated cluster you're still only 172 degrees so it's not running hotter even though the gauge says it is.

I have no idea why this changed and I heard nothing about it when I was at the tech school last week but my dealer seems to think there is a fix coming and I'll try and find out as much as I can and report back.

On a side note my dealer also said the fix for the throttle body on the RT is ready to be installed. Just hope that's all it changes.

Spyder Garage

You're a good man Lamont. By the way, what's up with the throttle body on the RT???

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    You're a good man Lamont. By the way, what's up with the throttle body on the RT???
    What can happen is when the throttle body plates are being held shut for 40 min. they can get stuck and burn up the motor and then you have to replace the throttle body. This fix is going to back it off a degree or so.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We just got a bulletin from BRP today. Some of the 2011RTs having check engine light at start up. I belive there is a file update to fix problem. Have not done one yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    What can happen is when the throttle body plates are being held shut for 40 min. they can get stuck and burn up the motor and then you have to replace the throttle body. This fix is going to back it off a degree or so.

Thanks, hadn't heard of that one.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thanks, hadn't heard of that one.
    Just confirmed that the throttle body update is now available and there is a bulletin out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just confirmed that the throttle body update is now available and there is a bulletin out.
    Lamont, please tell us what year(s) and model(s) this update covers and if it is a computer or mechanical update. I have read about a "noise" coming from the engine on some of the Spyders when shut down. I have paid very close attention to mine and have never heard this throttle body noise. You words on this please. Help us old, non wrench guys. Thanks for all you do.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I am not crazy after all, I know my spyder began to run hotter after the cluster update. I don't want or need this cluster update so no fix for me I would like to know if this update can be removed and put back the way it was before, I don't ride that much anymore as it is running hotter and I can feel it on both sides of the bike and make the ride not enjoyable anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    So I am not crazy after all, I know my spyder began to run hotter after the cluster update. I don't want or need this cluster update so no fix for me I would like to know if this update can be removed and put back the way it was before, I don't ride that much anymore as it is running hotter and I can feel it on both sides of the bike and make the ride not enjoyable anymore.
    Well Bro it's not running hotter, it just shows that it is on the cluster.
    Not sure if you can remove the update or not to be honest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Lamont, please tell us what year(s) and model(s) this update covers and if it is a computer or mechanical update. I have read about a "noise" coming from the engine on some of the Spyders when shut down. I have paid very close attention to mine and have never heard this throttle body noise. You words on this please. Help us old, non wrench guys. Thanks for all you do.

It's a software update unless you toast your motor then it's a hardware update (new throttle body). You need to see your dealer and get the update done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a software update unless you toast your motor then it's a hardware update (new throttle body). You need to see your dealer and get the update done.
    Thank you, I will be getting my 3K check next week and will get the update.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well Bro it's not running hotter, it just shows that it is on the cluster.
    Not sure if you can remove the update or not to be honest.
    If it's a software it should be able to be removed just like on a computer you install a update you can uninstall the update and put it back the way it was before the update but the Spyder computer is so wacked who knows.

Sorry Bro have to disagree with you on bike not running hotter, my bike is maybe because my spal was set by now the temp bars were before the update. Sent Ken an email asking for the instruction for the spal controller, got no reply still looking for mine.

Spyder Garage

If it's a software it should be able to be removed just like on a computer you install a update you can uninstall the update and put it back the way it was before the update but the Spyder computer is so wacked who knows.

Sorry Bro have to disagree with you on bike not running hotter, my bike is maybe because my spal was set by now the temp bars were before the update. Sent Ken an email asking for the instruction for the spal controller, got no reply still looking for mine.
    You can disagree all you like with me but the temp gauge don't lie Bro. If you got some other controller then maybe that's your problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are absolutely right it's all good.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The software is actually firmware and it doesn't work like a traditional computer update. The code is stored on a chip and usually when a software update is applied it's pretty much a new code set with the changes. The dealers have a certain update package from BRP to install that covers various modules such as the cluster update. I don't believe BUDS will let you go back even if you do have a previous version package. There are safety reasons for this and it's not out of the ordinary. Why BRP changed the corresponding temp sensor status to bars ration on the display is anyone’s guess. My question was it an accident by the software programmers or was it intentional for a reason that you probably won’t get a straight answer for??

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    Why BRP changed the corresponding temp sensor status to bars ration on the display is anyone’s guess.
    I think it was a software upgrade accident; targeting the LCD display to "read" from 62,137.8 to 62.137.9 and from 99,999.9 to 100,000 (no more decimals) the firmware increased the temperature reading; it would be interesting to observe the behavior in the fuel reading/nr of bars (should be more "optimistic").
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I noticed the extra bar after the update, made a quick call and was told it was normal because of the cluster update. I'm not worried

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it really matter where the gauge reads as long as it's consistent? Once you know where the new "normal" is... just watch for changes!
    Thanks for showing us the Math, Lamont!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Body software update

Visited with my dealer this morning. The update is for the 2011 model only. We checked the VIN on both my wife's '10 RT and my '11 and only the newer model requires the update.

Rick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

You are absolutely right it's all good.
    Could you please, elaborate on what you mean by this?
    Was there another problem that made it run hotter? Thx!
    Last edited by LennyO; 07-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Ride safe and often!

[IMG]//C:/Users/Lenny/Downloads/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Visited with my dealer this morning. The update is for the 2011 model only. We checked the VIN on both my wife's '10 RT and my '11 and only the newer model requires the update.

Rick
    Correct, BIG RED 1 has a 2011 RT.

Spyder Garage

Thats a big difference now in temp. between 4 and 5 bars with the update? Thats just not good, so why bother now with a guage BRP should maybe just go for an idiot light.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Thats a big difference now in temp. between 4 and 5 bars with the update? Thats just not good, so why bother now with a guage BRP should maybe just go for an idiot light.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I agree idiot light would be good, gage was nice when new and learning how runs, now I never look at gage I figure if it does get hot it will boil over and let me know Honestly I don't think any engine damage would occur until after the boil over point, so I ryde and if I ever get steam coming up or smell that sweet smell then I will stop, until then I'm enjoyin' the Ryde
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Basic question. What is this cluster update for?
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black