Spyder Garage

Default Did You Ever Try To Push Start

Anyone ever try to push start a Spyder? Believe me they do not like it, I had more fault codes than you could shake a stick at. And it still did not start it hit a few times and that was it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
    Anyone ever try to push start a Spyder? Believe me they do not like it, I had more fault codes than you could shake a stick at. And it still did not start it hit a few times and that was it.
    I've tried bump starting (roll downhill and dump the clutch). Spyder doesn't like that either but it did start. Used 2nd gear, 1st gear just drug the rear wheel. Had to do kind of like my dirt bikes, Dump the clutch and sit down hard over the rear wheel from a standing position at the same time or not enough traction to spin the motor.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Just my non-mechanically-inclined brain here... )
    Could it be lighting up like a Christmas Tree because you were trying to start it in a gear where it wasn't spinning fast enough?
    If 2nd gear wasn't great; would 3rd maybe be better? With a much faster push or steeper hill of course!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 03:09 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I thought parking brake needed to be on in order to start

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rchavez View Post
    Hello Newbie & .... This thread is over 12 years old .... and only applies to Manual transmission Spyder.;... So if you have an SE trans. it won't work .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I know this a really old thread. However I would think that the parking brake you speak of just does not allow the starter motor to be activated.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I know this a really old thread. However I would think that the parking brake you speak of just does not allow the starter motor to be activated.
    It is an old thread, and I believe it was originally referring to an SM5 bike too; and IIRC, the Spyders that weren't RT's or ST's back in 2011 all had foot operated ratchet style park brakes on the LHS!

But in the interests of clarity, then as Snoking mentions, I reckon that, at least on the SE's, it's not the PARK brake or the E-brake that's operated by the switch on the dash that has the Starter Motor Lock-out circuit attached to it, it's the FOOT brake! It doesn't really matter if you've got the Park/E-brake on or not, but you do hafta have your FOOT on the Brake Pedal or the starter won't kick in!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I know that I have responded to old threads in the past (it is very easy to do the first time), but I’m wondering if 13 years since the previous post is worthy of some kind of record Perhaps a reward could be a wall mounted plaque of all tyre threads…….but it may be necessary to “build a bigger wall”

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I know that I have responded to old threads in the past (it is very easy to do the first time), but I’m wondering if 13 years since the previous post is worthy of some kind of record Perhaps a reward could be a wall mounted plaque of all tyre threads…….but it may be necessary to “build a bigger wall”

Pete

I dunno Pete, I reckon this one's just a pretty good 'ancient history' effort; after all, it's only a 'started in 2011' thread - the Forum goes back a couple of years before that, and we (the Mods anyway ) have seen some real 'thread archeology' on the boards before; only thinking about that a bit more, you might not have seen too much of that, as it usually tends to be those dodgy type 'new members' who slip thru the pre-flights and then don't last very long who dig out the really old threads out by adding totally irrelevant or completely off topic posts?!

But seriously, bringing up old threads by adding to the knowledge there-in IS NOT something we should be bagging too much - it helps us all, especially those searching for answers to specific questions, if all the knowledge is in one place/thread! It's really only when the 'question' added is directed to a member who hasn't been on the boards for many years; &/or it's not really on that thread's particular topic that it can become a problem!!

Imagine how much easier the place would be to navigate AND for newbies to find the answers to the most commonly asked questions if the members who'd started all of those 'effectively duplicated' new threads, like all the oil or tire threads asking the same old questions, had simply done some searching & reading FIRST?!? After all, the Forum has been here for a fairly long time now, and there's not too much that hasn't been at least touched upon, if not asked and answered already... And there hasn't been soo many &/or sooo much of a change in the platforms & engines etc that the information/knowledge already shared isn't still valid &/or the differences readily identifiable! And one of the benefits of a Forum like this over some other forms of social media is that none of this shared knowledge &/or experience is ever truly lost, it's a big data-base of collected knowledge & experience and it's all here, just waiting to be tapped and shared, IF people would only look FIRST!

Sure, it might be easier for someone to just start a new thread, if they're happy enough to let others do all the work and others are happy enough to keep on answering, but I reckon most who do that would be astonished at what they might learn just by searching and reading thru the older threads FIRST!! And only THEN, if they truly can't find an answer to their question, should they start a new thread/ask their question; which btw, they'll often very likely be able to ask better/more clearly because of some of that newfound knowledge they just read... Yep, it'll take a bit longer, but they'll learn more and they won't make it harder for everyone else looking for the same/similar info later! And they won't annoy the crap outta those who've already answered that same question a number of times either!

Just Sayin'

But it still does pay to CHECK THE DATES on at least the first post in a thread AND the last few posts in a thread before submitting your own post/asking a further question - and it'd be even better to read thru the whole thread first too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2024 at 07:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

And as an aside to the whole thing.........You don't use the starter when you "bump" start.

Spyder Garage

I agree completely, Peter. I was not bagging the responder for replying to an old thread as, like you, I believe there is often additional relevant info to be gained from doing that.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red