Spyder Garage

Default Bad Sprocket?? - with video and audio

OK... before you read this all, I went for a 40 mile ride and the noise went away... So I don't know if the heat changed the fit/physics of it or not. She is cooling down right now, so we'll see what it sounds like in a couple of hours.

Needless to say, this is freaking me out as I have a trip back home to NYS and the Adirondacks Rally in a few weeks.

As you can see from the video the noise is happening with the bike in neutral, and just moving it forward and back.

Now, I've gotten little noises like this on and off for some time, but nothing as pronounced as this.

Note: 14,000 miles, and she had sat for 2 weeks without being ridden which is more common these days with having the baby and a job.

So... what do you think?

WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Possibly the bearings. I just had problems with mine where the bearings where shot.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

OK... before you read this all, I went for a 40 mile ride and the noise went away... So I don't know if the heat changed the fit/physics of it or not. She is cooling down right now, so we'll see what it sounds like in a couple of hours.

Needless to say, this is freaking me out as I have a trip back home to NYS and the Adirondacks Rally in a few weeks.

As you can see from the video the noise is happening with the bike in neutral, and just moving it forward and back.

Now, I've gotten little noises like this on and off for some time, but nothing as pronounced as this.

Note: 14,000 miles, and she had sat for 2 weeks without being ridden which is more common these days with having the baby and a job.

So... what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8De5r1-Nn0
    Sounds like friction between the belt teeth and sprocket. Check how belt is tracking on the front sprocket. The sound kinda creaks consistently, does it match the "pitch" of the belt/sprocket? Also, how 'bout the fit of the sprocket to the splined shaft(wear)?
    On my V-Rod ,I had read that the drive belt has some sort of a coating which helped to keep it quiet.
    Maybe you could spray a little WD-40 on a section of the belt and see it the noise goes away when you hit that section. Don't know it WD-40 would hurt the belt, maybe others might know.
    Good luck Dan, let us know your results.

Bill
    Last edited by bill pitman; 07-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Front sprocket, sorry.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Front sprocket, sorry.
    Hope the shaft isn't damaged, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default hey doc

if his front sprocket is shot, what causes it? can it be prevented? thats not many miles. big ol no fair. thanks, coz.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    if his front sprocket is shot, what causes it? can it be prevented? thats not many miles. big ol no fair. thanks, coz.
    Known weakness. The early Spyders with the originally higher belt tension spec have had more problems with it. Failing to properly retorque the sprocket bolt at 6,000 miles can also contribute. It happens...I'm afraid, and yes, it is sad.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default hey scotty

is the front sprocket problem rare, or a common occurence? i bought my 08 with 1650 miles and took it straight to the dealer for dps ect. and a general checkup. i specifically asked them to check belt tension as i had read on this site that it had changed once or twice. how do i know if its right?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to be fairly pissed if it is my sprocket or shaft. I doubt my dealer will have it ready by the 22nd when I leave.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

you would think they could? if they say they cant get the parts start calling other dealers have parts shipped in? I have found that if you want somthing done in a timely manner you need to be on top of it yourself. no one will look out for you as good as yourself. I am not putting any dealers down so dont think that guys. I am just sayin we look out for our best interests ourselves.

Spyder Garage

How do the teeth on your belt look? Both mine and Debbie's Spyders were getting a similar noise and the teeth on the belt were worn down. On mine, the dealer replaced both front and rear sprockets and the belt (still waiting to hear if BRP will warranty the parts / repair) and Debbie's Spyder is currently in the shop waiting to hear what the dealer tech / BRP recommend to fix hers.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    is the front sprocket problem rare, or a common occurence? i bought my 08 with 1650 miles and took it straight to the dealer for dps ect. and a general checkup. i specifically asked them to check belt tension as i had read on this site that it had changed once or twice. how do i know if its right?
    It is more common than we would want it to be, I'm afraid. There are a lot of factors involved, so it doesn't happen to every Spyder. For a quick check of your belt tension, grab the belt with your thumb and finger, midway between the sprockets. It should twist 90 degrees with a fair amount of effort. If not, it is likely too tight. If it twists farter, it is pretty loose. The best tool for setting the tension is the dealer's sonic gauge (with the latest spec). The NAPA Krikit-2 is a decent substitute, but the readings won't be the same. It is best to have the dealer adjust it, then get a base reading with the Krikit.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default sorry to hear of your woes.

Sorry to hear of your woes Dan but maybe the 3 week out thing will be enough time to get it resolved. I'll keep my fingers crossed and a prayer or two for you.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is the sprocket after all. I think it was the belt. I have to take a closer look at it.

I rode her today too. Checked again before riding... no noise.

So I'm not sure what is up. Probably not going to worry about it at this point.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope if it is the front sprocket its not the shaft also ,Mine went at 17,500 It took a month and 1800+ dollars to fix [on my dime]

Spyder Garage

Default Not the sound you have.

I can tell you Dan, when I had the gears, bearings, sprocket etc go bad on mine, I did not get the sound you showed us on utube. Mine was a terrible clunking sound. Kind of reminded me of clunking u-joints. And if you've heard clunking u-joints before, they are pretty loud.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Any update on the noise? Mine is making the same sound. I have not riden in weeks in fear of that noise being something major bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bragg View Post
    Any update on the noise? Mine is making the same sound. I have not riden in weeks in fear of that noise being something major bad.
    Nothing busted!!

I've buzzed around a bit since that day... Every time I roll it out of the garage I check for that noise.... It has not returned.

Test will be tomorrow. Spyder intentionally left sitting for the past week, so I'll check it again tomorrow.

My best bet based on feedback from others, is that the belt was riding the flange just enough to make that noise... Going for a ride either put wear on the belt or aligned it properly.

Note: I sometimes just pull the Spyder out past the cars and put in on the side of the garage... when putting it back in, I back up the same way I came...the better part of 200 feet of travel. That may have caused my belt to ride differently after that, and make that noise the next time I pushed it forward. The noise hasn't returned.

Here is what I advise... Take some dish soap smear it on the edge of the belt and push the bike... see if the noise goes away, if not, try the other side of the belt...next the teeth of the belt. That would net you your biggest clue... Using soap means you can hose it right off. Don't use an oil or wd-40 or other spray lube as those are not good for the belt in the long term.

So...I'm fairly confident that it was the position of the belt and nothing else. I really would not have been surprised if it had been the sprocket given how hard I am on it.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I will give the soap a try. Spyder needs a bath real bad anyway. Last time it was cleaned was when I had to go through a huge pool of water from a broken fire plug.

Spyder Garage

When the front sprocket starts to go it's more of a 'clunking' -- very noticeable if you cut the engine, clutch in and roll to a stop.

Easiest way to tell for sure without taking sprocket off is to remove the bolt -- and mark the shaft and sprocket with something-- sharpie will work --- put the bike in 1st gear --- have someone roll it forward until it stops and then backwards until it stops -- do this a few times and watch the marks. On mine I didn't even have to mark it-- it was that visible that it was moving...

From the sounds of your video I don't think it's the sprocket...

BUT -- you might have a belt alignment problem or tension issue.

If you use a Krickett you should read about 180 lbs while the unloaded bike is on the ground --- or 150-160 with it jacked up.

From the looks of your sprocket you have some metal dust on it--- mine had a lot--- I'm sure they all show some-- but a lot of dust means something is wearing. I'd order a sprocket anyway-- they're only like $50 and have it handy. Get another bolt too.

If you have time to do more than the simple 'bolt removal' test --- then I'd jack her up -- pull the lower shock bolt so you can slide the belt off---- then remove the sprocket and take a good look at it and the splines on the shaft. Clean them up a bit and put back together-- try and mark it and put it back in the same position.

You might need a puller to get the sprocket off-- but it really shouldn't take too much force like mine did!

Oh-- and make sure and remove the bolt BEFORE you jack it up----

Hope all is well....and you're sprocket is fine.

Reminder to self to order some sprockets for stock.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    When the front sprocket starts to go it's more of a 'clunking' -- very noticeable if you cut the engine, clutch in and roll to a stop.

Easiest way to tell for sure without taking sprocket off is to remove the bolt -- and mark the shaft and sprocket with something-- sharpie will work --- put the bike in 1st gear --- have someone roll it forward until it stops and then backwards until it stops -- do this a few times and watch the marks. On mine I didn't even have to mark it-- it was that visible that it was moving...

From the sounds of your video I don't think it's the sprocket...

BUT -- you might have a belt alignment problem or tension issue.

If you use a Krickett you should read about 180 lbs while the unloaded bike is on the ground --- or 150-160 with it jacked up.

From the looks of your sprocket you have some metal dust on it--- mine had a lot--- I'm sure they all show some-- but a lot of dust means something is wearing. I'd order a sprocket anyway-- they're only like $50 and have it handy. Get another bolt too.

If you have time to do more than the simple 'bolt removal' test --- then I'd jack her up -- pull the lower shock bolt so you can slide the belt off---- then remove the sprocket and take a good look at it and the splines on the shaft. Clean them up a bit and put back together-- try and mark it and put it back in the same position.

You might need a puller to get the sprocket off-- but it really shouldn't take too much force like mine did!

Oh-- and make sure and remove the bolt BEFORE you jack it up----

Hope all is well....and you're sprocket is fine.

Reminder to self to order some sprockets for stock.....
    Great info!!!!
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires