Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12v Adapter problems!

To try to keep from having to take my spyder back to the shop has anyone had problems with the 12v adapter burning up items that you plug into it and not blowing the fuse? Mine has fried 2 phone chargers so far.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    To try to keep from having to take my spyder back to the shop has anyone had problems with the 12v adapter burning up items that you plug into it and not blowing the fuse? Mine has fried 2 phone chargers so far.
    Sounds like the polarity to the outlet is wrong. Swap the wires or have some one confirm with multimeter. If so, that is dealer error.

This should have been posted in SHOP TALK. For future reference.

Edited as auto spell on my droid had some fun with some words.
    Last edited by WackyDan; 07-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Check the outlet with a digital volt meter. Put the positive lead to the center contact and the negative to the ground contact. The meter should read a positive measurement. If it reads a negative voltage then the wires to the outlet is backwards. If it reads correctly your problem is with the chargers not the outlet.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I agree with the above post, did the same thing with my Tom Tom. Realized what happened on Friday after it happened a second time AND IT WAS WORKING CORRECTLY LAST YEAR. Dealer messed up when they replaced my DPS. Also look to see if there is a fuse in your adaptors (unscrew the tip), that was the only damage that accured to me.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.