Spyder Garage

Default Confused about oil level

Hello gang,
    2008 RS SE5 , 9000 miles. Lamonsters catch can in place. If I follow manual recommendation on oil level I would have to add oil, the oil stick is dry as soon as I shut off the engine, but as soon as I start the engine the oil level is almost all the way up to the thread on the oil stick, Catch can is 1/2 full after about 800 miles. Do I add oil? Is that a sign of an engine problem, The Spyder runs great
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

I believe there is a decal on the side of the oil tank with instructions, does it comply with that?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only way I have found to check the oil accurately is to ride it a couple miles before checking it. Then it will give an accurate reading once you shut it off. If you just let it run idle it won't move the oil enough to give an accurate reading and will show that its not even hitting the stick or barely hitting the tip of the stick.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dvmdf View Post
    Hello gang,
    2008 RS SE5 , 9000 miles. Lamonsters catch can in place. If I follow manual recommendation on oil level I would have to add oil, the oil stick is dry as soon as I shut off the engine, but as soon as I start the engine the oil level is almost all the way up to the thread on the oil stick, Catch can is 1/2 full after about 800 miles. Do I add oil? Is that a sign of an engine problem, The Spyder runs great
    Thank you
    Are you screwing the dipstick in all way in when you check it the first time.

Spyder Garage

Yes, the dip stick is screwed in all the way and I check the oil level after a good ride. If I add the oil, it will end up in the catch can , If I don't will it ruin the engine?

Spyder Garage

Default oil

Hello gang,
    Thank you
    Were did you get the catch can. i want one

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the dip stick is screwed in all the way and I check the oil level after a good ride. If I add the oil, it will end up in the catch can , If I don't will it ruin the engine?

I wouldn't add, i would just drain the can. [how much are we talking about 1or 2 oz?] Than see if more oil ends up in the can.
    The Spyder takes about 4.11 Qt any more and you'll get blow by into the can, or without a can or foam into the air box.

Spyder Garage

I like to check my oil at operating temperature. So when I stop I let it idle while I take the panel off, shut it off, pull the stick, wipe it, screw it back in and check.

Since the Spyder is a dry sump system you won't ruin it if the holding tank gets a little low. the Spyder really doesn't know how much oil it has. As long as it can pick up oil from the bottom of the holding tank it can't tell low from full.

It isn't the end of the world to let the tank get even a few inches low. But still, oil volume has something to do with engine cooling and allowing any foaming to settle out before getting sucked up and put back through.

The Spyder isn't the easiest vehicle to keep a correct oil level on. You can easily put too much oil in if you don't do the level check correctly. But oil level it isn't as critical as on a wet sump system either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I don't know how sterile an enviroment your catch can is, maybe avoid reusing it in your spyder?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I like to check my oil at operating temperature. So when I stop I let it idle while I take the panel off, shut it off, pull the stick, wipe it, screw it back in and check.

Since the Spyder is a dry sump system you won't ruin it if the holding tank gets a little low. the Spyder really doesn't know how much oil it has. As long as it can pick up oil from the bottom of the holding tank it can't tell low from full.

It isn't the end of the world to let the tank get even a few inches low. But still, oil volume has something to do with engine cooling and allowing any foaming to settle out before getting sucked up and put back through.

The Spyder isn't the easiest vehicle to keep a correct oil level on. You can easily put too much oil in if you don't do the level check correctly. But oil level it isn't as critical as on a wet sump system either.
    Thank You, BajaRon, that puts my mind at ease. May be I will check the level with a long screwdriver when oil stick is dry and see if there still some in the holding tank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

I wouldn't add, i would just drain the can. [how much are we talking about 1or 2 oz?] Than see if more oil ends up in the can.
    The Spyder takes about 4.11 Qt any more and you'll get blow by into the can, or without a can or foam into the air box.
    Thank you for good advise. I would say that it's about 3/4 to 1 oz in the can in about 800 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Muddfoot View Post
    Were did you get the catch can. i want one
    You have to assemble it yourself, but if I could do it anybody can. If you do the search for Lamonsters oil catch can on this board you can find his step by step instructions and the parts you need

Spyder Garage

Our 2009 RS had what seemed to be a small oil leak on the rt side of the spyder. I asked the dealer to check it out. After doing just that he said the air filter box had oil in it that was leaking and that I should check it and clean it out at every oil change. They also recommended only filling to the low level on the dip stick and that would help and not hurt the bike. I have done that and this last oil change the air box was pretty much clean. As long as it is in the range being either the bottom or top you should not hurt the engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My tech, who I think is good, said check your oil with the engine warm OR if cold, the stick will show "add oil"....don't add any, it means all is well. ??

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    My tech, who I think is good, said check your oil with the engine warm OR if cold, the stick will show "add oil"....don't add any, it means all is well. ??

If the stick shows "add oil", you don't know how far the oil level is below the dipstick. It's better to do as outlined in the owner's manual or as BajaRon as noted above.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If the stick shows "add oil", you don't know how far the oil level is below the dipstick. It's better to do as outlined in the owner's manual or as BajaRon as noted above.
    Just up to the add oil line....not the full line....that is what he said when engine is cold....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Just up to the add oil line....not the full line....that is what he said when engine is cold....

Why not just check it like the instructions on the side of the oil tank say to do, and avoid all the guess work??