Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Suggestions for Pennsylvania?

I have been checking out the Pennsylvania area on Google Maps and on some different sites and it looks like a neat place to ride. My wife and I are considering a road trip on our Spyder. Does anyone have any suggestions for this area, for maybe a two or three day tour. We live in Ontario and can be in Pennsylvania in a few hours.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Jack,

Being recently reborn into the motorcycle world and having an RT, I too have been looking for 'rydes' to take. I found Motorcycle Roads and Trips have a fairly extensive selection of recognized rydes.

Another source is Mad Maps which can be bought in printed format and/or downloaded to my GPS (well, at least to my 660). They have a Harley section that touts "975 best U.S. motorcycle rides" which I think will be on my wishlist.

Hope this helps. Hopefully a Spyderlover from PA will be able to provide more insight.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Jack,

Just did a ride to NW PA. from Harrisburg area where we live. I might suggest the area from Erie south towards Clarion Pa. This includes the Titusville area where the first oil wells were created, the Cooks Forrest area, Very scenic and nice riding. Check out Pawilds.com for some more information. We are going back in a few weeks to explore some more as we really enjoyed our short trip we did previously. If you like wine the area NE of Erie and southwest NY. has lots of wineries to tour also. We also ride alot around Clinton, Potter and northern Lycoming county Hope you come down this way, I'm sure you'll have a great ryde

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pennsylvania is blessed with a HUGE variety of terrain, roads and scenery... Being that I'm on the wrong side of the Delaware river here, all I can say is pick a secondary road that passes through as many small Towns as possible and has more turns in it than a case of corkscrews and you can't go wrong!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, Old Jack!
    I just rode across a huge portion of PA last week, coming down from wine country and the Fingerlakes region of New York.

I would suggest making your way to Wellsboro and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. I went west from there on Rt. 6, which was two lane for the most part through a lot of really cool little towns, and beautiful farm land.
    If you go all the way to Kane, you'll go through the Allegheny National Forest. The views are stunning, and there are plenty of interesting places to stop.

I wish I could suggest a great little restaurant for you, but when I was coming through Wellsboro there was a carnival going on, so I had some delicious fried fair goodies,

I just stumbled onto 6, but I did a quick search for you and came across this site:
    http://paroute6.com/static/index.cfm...up&contentID=2

Enjoy your ride!

Spyder Garage

Mickey,

I wish that I knew you were in the finger lakes region of NY.....I would have met up with you....I live near Binghamton just 45 minutes from Cayuga Lake.

Western PA has some nice roads as well!

Later,

Shawn
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jack View Post
    I have been checking out the Pennsylvania area on Google Maps and on some different sites and it looks like a neat place to ride. My wife and I are considering a road trip on our Spyder. Does anyone have any suggestions for this area, for maybe a two or three day tour. We live in Ontario and can be in Pennsylvania in a few hours.
    Roar On The Shore bike rally in Erie is July 14th thru the 16th we are going to spend some time there as well as enjoy some of the other attractions in the area. www.roarontheshore.com

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Mickey,

I wish that I knew you were in the finger lakes region of NY.....I would have met up with you....I live near Binghamton just 45 minutes from Cayuga Lake.

Western PA has some nice roads as well!

Later,

Shawn
    Oh, man! My girlfriend and I did the whole Cayuga Lake wine tour and down to Ithaca and back on the Spyder. It was a fantastic trip, in fact I'm working on the video and articles for it right now.

She has worked in Auburn for the past three summers, and I love going up there. Hopefully it will happen again next summer, and we can make it happen then!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it looks like you all talked me into it, thanks for all the help. Now its time to sit down and use some of your suggestions and plan the route. If any of you ever get up our way let me know, I would be happy to give you some routes in Ontario, as I have been all over it, or I might even be talked into playing the tour guide.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Count me in for another vote for Rte 6!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I will tell you a little story about the People I meet in Pennsylvania on my way to the Tail of the Dragon, a couple of years ago. We had stopped just North of Altoona at the side of the road waiting for a group of friends to show up. We were there from early morning until late in the afternoon before they made it. I must admit I lost count of the number of people with cars and trucks that stopped to see if we needed help and were offering phones and even willing to transport us to the nearest help.

No I wouldn't call that crabby, Roger, just pretty friendly.
    Last edited by Old Jack; 06-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

pa grand canyon if up north stay at potato city

or head down to civil war area and also hershey pa south ctl pa

or if near pittsburgh flight 93 memorial
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Kinzua Dam area in Warren County is a beautiful ride. Lived in Meadville, Pa. back in the '70's. In my opinion, you really can't find any bad areas to ride in the state.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well riding in Philly ain't the most fun that I've ever had... but it was better than Haddenfield (across the river!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try MadMaps' Pennsylvania map, they planned everything for you https://www.madmaps.com/roadtrips/pe...and-new-jersey

Spyder Garage

On the Erie leg of the trip do not pass up Presque Isle park. Miles of slow riding through some amazing, unique land. The sunsets there are rated amongst the best in the world. When I lived there 20+ years ago we would take the ride at least once a week year round.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Default In the Harrisburg, Hershey, Gettysburg area...

If you're going to be nearby, give me a holler... maybe we can meet up!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Suggestions for PA

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jack View Post
    Try : motorcycleroads.com

Spyder Garage

Default PA RIDING

If you like the country landscape try around tionesta area in the alleghany moutains.A few weekends ago some friends and I had a very scenic ride.A lot of little towns(don't blink or you will miss them) also the town of wellsboro where the PA grand canyon is is nice.This town still has gas streetlights!

Spyder Garage

Default Waldameer Park , Erie, Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    On the Erie leg of the trip do not pass up Presque Isle park. Miles of slow riding through some amazing, unique land. The sunsets there are rated amongst the best in the world. When I lived there 20+ years ago we would take the ride at least once a week year round.
    And may I add that as you come to the enterence to Presque Isle Park, on the left going down the hill, there is a parking lot for Waldameer Amusement Park. It is hard to miss, as there is a roller coaster that goes over head across the access road to Presque Isle. I mention this as it is Free parking, and also it is Free admission to the Amusement Park itself ( unless you wish to ride the rides) where you can find a good place to get something to eat, and drink. Great place to take a break.....or kill some time until you go on down to Presque Isle, and enjoy the beautiful sun set on Lake Erie.....Just a thought.......