Spyder Garage

Default Traffic, temperature and the spyder

Well here we go again. Get back in town from a nice weekend ride and run into a minor traffic jam, maybe ten to fifteen minutes of stop and go and spyder pegs heat gauge and goes into limp mode. This is the third time I’ve had this happen in Houston traffic. Does anyone know if BRP has come up with anything to help with this over heating problem? It’s almost impossible to ride in Houston without running into some kind of traffic problem. Love the spyder but don’t trust riding it in town, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
    On the road again, still riding, Happy owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issue

As I have heard the normal ryding temp is 4 bars but is ok at even 7 bars. the fan on mine turns on at 5 after a few minutes.Give coolant level a check when cold.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure the fan is comming on ?
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a GS that blew the relay that operates the fan motor. I think if his fan isn't coming on his radiator would be spewing all over as mine did.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Switching to full synthetic oil helps and there is a radiator additive that also helps. I can't remember it's name but I can get the name on Thursday when I am at the dealer. I spent 45 minutes crawling uphill in a bad traffic jam with temps in the mid to upper 80s and was at 5-6 bars the whole time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Water wetter helps a lot and your dealer can install a fan with full shroud like ones on rt or newer rs. New fans are installed on brp on case by case base, per recommendation of dealer.
    My dealer had new fan in stock and brp picked up the tab.

I never had to to use manual fan switch after that.
    6 states down 42 states to go

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Are you sure the fan is comming on ?

The same happened to me. The fan was not coming on and was going into limp mode with stop and go traffic. It kept blowing fuses. It turns out the wrong fuse was originally installed on my Spyder. As soon as the right fuse was installed no more issues with fan not turning on.

Spyder Garage

Angry Check Engine Light

I had similar problem in driving on backroads where lots of starts and stops. It was 100 degrees but my car runs at 100 so I would expect my bike to do the same. Made a quick 10 minute stop, then when I started back up, the check engine light came on. It was Sunday so nobody to call. I decided if it was hot, driving it a little faster would help. CEL went from full screen to flashing off and on center bottom of screen. I arrived at my destination and when I left two hours later, no further problems. I had computer checked and they said it was overheating but offered no suggestion as how to prevent in the future. Needless to say, I have not ridden since because it's still hot down here in the Rio Grande Valley. I'm disappointed that I can't ride when it's hot.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RGVSpyderGirl View Post
    I had similar problem in driving on backroads where lots of starts and stops. It was 100 degrees but my car runs at 100 so I would expect my bike to do the same. Made a quick 10 minute stop, then when I started back up, the check engine light came on. It was Sunday so nobody to call. I decided if it was hot, driving it a little faster would help. CEL went from full screen to flashing off and on center bottom of screen. I arrived at my destination and when I left two hours later, no further problems. I had computer checked and they said it was overheating but offered no suggestion as how to prevent in the future. Needless to say, I have not ridden since because it's still hot down here in the Rio Grande Valley. I'm disappointed that I can't ride when it's hot.
    I would be calling somebody about this problem. I been riding in 90+ temp with the heat deflector from spyderpops. Temps will reach alittle above half mark than the fan will come on to cool it down I have a RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    Well here we go again. Get back in town from a nice weekend ride and run into a minor traffic jam, maybe ten to fifteen minutes of stop and go and spyder pegs heat gauge and goes into limp mode. This is the third time I’ve had this happen in Houston traffic. Does anyone know if BRP has come up with anything to help with this over heating problem? It’s almost impossible to ride in Houston without running into some kind of traffic problem. Love the spyder but don’t trust riding it in town, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
    your not giving us much information is your fan coming on?If it is then the problem is elswhere as mentioned above newer fan and shroud can be installed see your dealer for details

Spyder Garage

Question Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    I would be calling somebody about this problem. I been riding in 90+ temp with the heat deflector from spyderpops. Temps will reach alittle above half mark than the fan will come on to cool it down I have a RT-S
    I have a hearing problem and don't know if I would hear fan come on. I do feel heat blowing on my leg as I don't have heat deflector. Would that indicate fan is on? I have been considering getting the heat deflector but want to make sure there isn't a problem with fan first.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT Audio & Convenience, Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SE5 transmission. RGVSpyderGirl@aol.com

Spyder Garage

Default heat

I have a hearing problem and don't know if I would hear fan come on. I do feel heat blowing on my leg as I don't have heat deflector. Would that indicate fan is on? I have been considering getting the heat deflector but want to make sure there isn't a problem with fan first.
    On the RT it is a heat shield not deflector from Spyderpop. On my RT it runs about a click above half way in the high 90's we have here in the Lowcountry of SC this time of year and never has gotten hot enough to go into Limp Mode, Checking to see if fan is working Stop and see if it is still blowing hot air out of opening on rt. side....The heat shield does wonders to stop extreme heat on rt. leg/foot...

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Question What do I really need?

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    On the RT it is a heat shield not deflector from Spyderpop. On my RT it runs about a click above half way in the high 90's we have here in the Lowcountry of SC this time of year and never has gotten hot enough to go into Limp Mode, Checking to see if fan is working Stop and see if it is still blowing hot air out of opening on rt. side....The heat shield does wonders to stop extreme heat on rt. leg/foot...

Freebob...
    I went out to Spyderpops and it looks like for my bike I need a radiator block off plate and a catalytic convertor shield set. Is that what you have, Freebob?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went out to Spyderpops and it looks like for my bike I need a radiator block off plate and a catalytic convertor shield set. Is that what you have, Freebob?
    That is what you need for the RT. I had them installed last week and it helps with the heat on the right foot. The RT fan will run for a short time after you turn the key off so if you ride it for a while in the heat and turn it off you should be able to get off and put your ear close to the fan to hear if it is running. Or you could take it to your dealer and ask them if it is operating properly. The RS fan does not run after turning the key off.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    your not giving us much information is your fan coming on?If it is then the problem is elswhere as mentioned above newer fan and shroud can be installed see your dealer for details
    I had just ridden in from Kingsville, through several towns on the way with no problem, about 250 miles. Just went out and started it to make sure and fan came on after five bars, so that part is working. Sitting on a freeway at 99 degree day with no movement is when it happens, once moving again and getting through the nanny the temp drops and the bike runs fine. I have put the air damn and heat shield from spyderpops, they helped but it has still over heated even with the add on's.

Ed
    On the road again, still riding, Happy owner

Spyder Garage

If you have the older version of the Spyder cooling system, there may be some things that can help. First, if you are on warranty, check with your dealer and explain your overheating problem. You may be eligible for the updated fan and shroud. Second, consider the SpyderPops (see the SpyderLovers home page) line of air management accessories, especially the Missing Air Dam. Finally, consider removing your splash panels underneath the Spyder.

If you live in a freezing climate, be careful about using water wetters. They reduce the anti-freeze properties of the coolant.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post

Ed
    Change your relays, they can be found at most auto parts store. Mine did that intermittently. I suggest you change all three relays and carry a spare. I did and to date haven't needed the spare.

The Spyderpops heat management system works great for keep the heat off of you. You may also want to wrap the header pipe on the left side.

Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Change your relays, they can be found at most auto parts store. Mine did that intermittently. I suggest you change all three relays and carry a spare. I did and to date haven't needed the spare.
    That may be true with the RS, but I have yet to find an auto parts store that has relays for the RT. Perhaps I've just gone to the wrong stores.

Chris PE# 0004

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I think the fan on my RT ...

... goes on as soon as I turn on the A/C ... but I could be wrong
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.