Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbe with questions

This site was recommended by a good friend over at the Motorcyclistcafe.com forum. This site is well done BTW.

My wife has expressed a strong interest in the Can Am Spyder. She has tried a motorcycle, in fact she has a 2010 Aprilia 850 ManaGT that is being sold. She has had the problem of "tumping over" when stopping and has decided that she needs something more stable an confidence inspiring....thus the Spyder. She wants a White one and tomorrow, Friday, we are going over to the dealer in Prescott Valley (Arizona) to try one out. It is my understanding that there is an automatic tranny, or semi auto ??, perfect for her as she and gears are oil and water.

I have been riding for a long time....gads..... and currently have a few BMW's, just brought home a new K1600GT last week .

Any recommendation on Arizona dealers and what to look out for. the Prescott Valley dealer has a white RS Limited.

What has the collectives experience been with a situation such as mine?

Thanks all
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Talking Partial answer

The is available with a Semi-automatic transmission. Paddle shifter, left thumb to shift up, left pointer to down shift. Reverse is also included. I have carpal tunnel issues so the SE5 version is a god-send.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am a female rider 65 yrs old, have ridden motorcycles for 35 hrs, ninja, 650 Suzuki Blvd, and just traded it in two months ago for my Spyder. I love the stability, ease of semi auto gear shift. I have the 2010 pearl white limited, your wife would totally love the Spyder, it took me just a couple of rides to get use to the slightly different riding technique used on the Spyder verses a two wheel motorcycle and I couldn't be happier!! I tried to post
    a profile picture of me on it but wasn't able to download it but opened an album and posted one. Good luck and happy riding to your lucky wife!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife tried going with two wheels for almost seven years before she took my RT-S for a little test-drive around the neighborhood last December. She now has her own Orbital Blue RT-AC and, so far this year, has put on over 5,000 miles on her . We both have the SE5 (semi-automatic) models and neither of us has had any problems whatsoever with our rydes. Best of luck to you and your wife. I know you guys will love it!

p.s. on your new Beemer! That new BMW looks like a real winner!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We left our place about 7 yesterday morning for the drive to the dealer in Prescott valley, Az. StarIsland Motorsports and met up with sales person Spencer. A nicer guy you will ever meet. To make a long story short, Pam my wife loved it and took to it like a duck takes to water. I even road all over on the back. Did I say she loved it...

That on is the one she wants.....but good grief, costs mor than my Toyota Tundra..... she is more than worth it.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Wink

As for the price... All you have to do is price a new Trike Harley and a new Trike Honda and you will run back to the Spyder as you will save thousands (When comparing MSRP to MSRP). And no other bike combines all the safety features and storage that the Spyder comes with.

Beautiful pictures BTW... That is one beautiful white Spyder...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
    That on is the one she wants.....but good grief, costs mor than my Toyota Tundra..... she is more than worth it.
    The Pearl White RT Limited is a great ride. I have this model along with the matching trailer. It's the best open air ride I have ever owned. If they have one available and you want the pearl white you better jump on it quick. They are getting harder to find. If you don't need the GPS, luggage etc. you can save some money and get the the RTS. Same as the Limited but less a few extras. I just really liked the pearl white. It's much easier to keep clean. I had black bikes in the past and they look great just after you clean them but after just a short ride it really shows the dust.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree on the price comparisons between the Spyder and the various trikes out there, to say nothing of we do not like trikes at all.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the 2012 models will have?
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
    We left our place about 7 yesterday morning for the drive to the dealer in Prescott valley, Az. StarIsland Motorsports and met up with sales person Spencer. A nicer guy you will ever meet. To make a long story short, Pam my wife loved it and took to it like a duck takes to water. I even road all over on the back. Did I say she loved it...

really beautiful spyder!!! You will not regret this purchase....the smiles and experiences are priceless! so.......
    and

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Buy The Spyder

I have an '09 RS SE5. Your wife will love the semi-auto trans. I'd had stability/confidence issues (real bad right knee) also. The Spyder is AWESOME! You both will enjoy miles & miles of fun. I've had great luck dealing with Ride Now Power Sports in Chandler but that a long way from Show Low. FYI... I have a friend who lives in Strawberry who works on all types of motorcycles, including my Spyder. One of the best mechanics I've ever come across and his labor rates are much better than your typical dealer. John & his wife Mo are building a multi bay shop in Strawberry. The place is going to be really cool! It's 2 stories. The lower level is going to be a micro brew and the upper level is a 4 or 5 bay motorcycle shop. It should be open later this year. Right now he works out of the garage of their cabin. Check out www.gilacountychopper.com.

Good Luck!

Bluezr0kr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our little place in the sun!! Does your Wife have any experience riding ATVs? They seem to offer a pretty close approximation of the ride and handling charactistics. I've got an SE 5 transmission in mine also and have found it to be pretty darn practical and very worthwhile!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love my RT and have put 15,000 miles on it since 07/10. Your wife looks great on the white limited. Go for it. As my husband says "the best motorcycle accessory a guy can have is a wife who rides her own."
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

StarIsland in Prescott Valley is where I get my RS serviced and I cannot say enough good things about them. Your in good hands...
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy your new RT. SE5 is the only way to go. A good dealer, as you have, will make it that much better.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mguin View Post
    I have an '09 RS SE5. I've had great luck dealing with Ride Now Power Sports in Chandler but that a long way from Show Low.
    Good Luck!

Bluezr0kr
    I just got my 2011 RT-S last Saturday from Ride Now Power Sports on Ina Rd in Tucson, and I was treated very well and got a great deal on my Spyder. They had been my service shop for my '99 1400cc Intruder for the last 8 years, but this was the first time I purchased from them. I cannot say how much I love the SE5 transmission after 20 years of working the clutch!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She is an expert with ATV's, we have a Kaw 650 Brute Force and a Polaris 500 HO.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Default New Ride

Both of you will love the . My wife and I purchased one (RT Limited) about 6 weeks ago and just returned from a 2K ride. Nothing but fun and enjoyment.